Proposal: Allow Talkboard members to moderate the Talkboard Topics forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal: Allow Talkboard members to moderate the Talkboard Topics forum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:34 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Scott did a very good job of explaining what goes on at that board.

Of course the Koko thread gets the most traffic!
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
Honestly, the black helicopters have always been around the moderator forum, and I can understand why. As it stands, the forum really is a pretty dull place.

Right now, these are the first ten threads in the forum (titles changed so I don't violate any rules):
  1. Wishlist of board updates
  2. Group mod emails?
  3. Do rules
  4. List of dupe handles
  5. New/reassigned mods
  6. New mod joins airline forum
  7. Coupon connection challenges
  8. Interesting threads on the forum
  9. Feature request
  10. Signature questions
  11. Should Kokonutz be banned forever?

As you can see, there is nothing there that is even remotely interesting. I'd have no problem letting a Talkboard member participate in it. The community elected that person, and they should have earned our trust with that alone.

We have very strict rules in place about discussing specific members, we have rules about discussing other moderators. 99.9% of the discussions are just boring and discuss nothing more than board housekeeping.

The black helicopter stuff is all documented in the abused/banned user data base!
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:44 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Honestly, the black helicopters have always been around the moderator forum, and I can understand why. As it stands, the forum really is a pretty dull place.

Right now, these are the first ten threads in the forum (titles changed so I don't violate any rules):
  1. Wishlist of board updates
  2. Group mod emails?
  3. Do rules
  4. List of dupe handles
  5. New/reassigned mods
  6. New mod joins airline forum
  7. Coupon connection challenges
  8. Interesting threads on the forum
  9. Feature request
  10. Signature questions
  11. Should Kokonutz be banned forever?

As you can see, there is nothing there that is even remotely interesting. I'd have no problem letting a Talkboard member participate in it. The community elected that person, and they should have earned our trust with that alone.

We have very strict rules in place about discussing specific members, we have rules about discussing other moderators. 99.9% of the discussions are just boring and discuss nothing more than board housekeeping.
I'm kinda pissed that my thread has fallen so low.

I have been banned far more quickly by better IBBs than THIS!
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Lol, you apparently hear it the same way I hear it.

IMHO, if the moderators can't trust someone who is

- elected first by the posters to a position of trust as a TB member
- THEN elected to a further position of trust as the TB president by the other elected TB members

with temporary access to their super sweet clubhouse then that must be SOME awesome executive restroom indeed.

Either that or the mods don't trust the posters.
I don't think this issue has even been thought of for 95% of the FTer's. I see no reason why the TB president shouldn't moderate his own forum. He needs an editor with supreme power? I think not. Maybe Moderator2 should be our president if he is controlling what is said in the presidents forum due to a, "that's the way it has always been done" reason.

Way too many levels of bureaucracy here, but I have always been on the less moderation the better side of things.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I'm kinda pissed that my thread has fallen so low.

I have been banned far more quickly by better IBBs than THIS!
I know someone who's created another one recently.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Moderator2
What??? All these years of moderating and no one has given me a key. I'm still using the bushes.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 7:33 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by tcook052
I know someone who's created another one recently.
Are miles and points discussed there? Is it beta than FT?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What??? All these years......
Speaking of which, I am still trying to understand why you feel the need to have 2 moderator handles? Wouldn't one suffice?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:09 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Q Shoe,

Despite your off-topic question I'll respond. I actually only have one moderator handle.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...isclosure.html

Purely a technical decision at the time moderation was first implemented in July 2001. Originally moderators were going to be anonymous. That decision was reversed by myself and Moderator1 within a few days, and we outed ourselves, so to speak.

The third appointed moderator (about three or four days after Moderator1 and I were "created") asked Randy implement software that would allow readers to easily determine of someone was an appointed moderator, which happened within a few days afterwards. The board host decided future appointees all used the software solution for identification. Switching between handles requires logging in and out, which is a bit of a pain. Moderator1 and I decided to continue doing so, in order to maintain an identity that would not be formally identified as being a moderator.

Moderator1 ("Burkey") gave up his moderation role in 2003.

Now back to the topic of TalkBoard members being moderators...

Moderator2

Last edited by Moderator2; Feb 19, 2011 at 5:22 pm
Old Feb 23, 2011, 5:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
It always seems weird that a member of the moderator team is assigned to moderate the Talkboard forum. This is after all their forum.

I propose to let the Talkboard assign a moderator to this forum from a lineup of the current Talkboard members.

This would allow the Talkboard to determine what is considered "off topic" instead of the moderator assigned to this forum.
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
That said, I'd rather have an impartial guy such as Moderator2 than a passionate TB member moderating the forum...
What about an impartial TB member or even an impartial (non-elected, non-appointed) general member as TB 'moderator'?

Maybe the better question is whether impartiality is the chief concern here -- in which case it shouldn't matter who is doing the moderating, e.g. regular mod, TB member or general member -- or Talk Board self-rule? I'm not entirely clear whether those are necessarily exclusive concerns, to tell you the truth.

That said, I continue to support M2 remaining in his current assignment for as long as he is willing to do it -- not because because he is a mod first but because he's temperate.

. . . . .

As we're delving into finer points of identity and membership, two quick cents worth:
Originally moderators were going to be anonymous. [...]

The third appointed moderator ... asked Randy implement software that would allow readers to easily determine of someone was an appointed moderator, which happened within a few days afterwards.
That was a indeed an excellent solution though one I cannot accept credit for. But as the other (non-anonymous) leg of the original troika, I felt you and burkey were justified in opting for generic mod handles given the degree of correspondence between your actual name and regular handle. It was a complex call and the first of many you've been forced to make over the last ~10 years.

Last edited by essxjay; Feb 23, 2011 at 5:16 pm
Old Feb 24, 2011, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by essxjay
Maybe the better question is whether impartiality is the chief concern here -- in which case it shouldn't matter who is doing the moderating, e.g. regular mod, TB member or general member -- or Talk Board self-rule? I'm not entirely clear whether those are necessarily exclusive concerns, to tell you the truth.
As a former elected TB member who has been suspended in the recent past (while serving as an elected member) by a non-TB moderator for comments made in the TB forum, I do believe that there is a problem. If TB is to maintain the appearance of independent elected representatives of the userbase, they must enjoy some levels of privilege to voice their true opinions without fear of unelected officials using their powers to silence or even remove them from office.

I think Moderator2 does an excellent job within the constraints that he has, but there is no way that someone can effectively "moderate" the "public" side of a discussion without a knowledge of what is happening on the "private" side of the discussion. This is not an attack on him personally (he knows I have the utmost respect for him) but rather on the system.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:08 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by B747-437B
As a former elected TB member who has been suspended in the recent past (while serving as an elected member) by a non-TB moderator for comments made in the TB forum, I do believe that there is a problem. If TB is to maintain the appearance of independent elected representatives of the userbase, they must enjoy some levels of privilege to voice their true opinions without fear of unelected officials using their powers to silence or even remove them from office.
Sorry, we're members first and foremost.

If voicing your opinion = violating the TOS, then expect the consequences.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Spiff was installed as Talkboard President in accordance with the TB guidelines. There is no questionably installed about it.

If you were suspended, you violated FT TOS. If you disagreed w/ the suspension, then contacting Randy was the appropriate course of action.

Back on topic. Speaking for myself, I'm fine w/ Mod 2 continuing to be Mod of TB forum.

Cheers.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Spiff was installed as Talkboard President in accordance with the TB guidelines. There is no questionably installed about it.
That is a matter of opinion. Multiple users other than myself have questioned the interpretation of the TB guidelines to appoint Spiff as the Substantitive President as opposed to Acting President.

In typical autocratic fashion, he has not bothered to address the issue himself but instead relies on a network of sycophantic flunkies to take cheap shots at those who dare raise their voices and simply pretend we don't exist.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:20 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by B747-437B
That is a matter of opinion. Multiple users other than myself have questioned the interpretation of the TB guidelines to appoint Spiff as the Substantitive President as opposed to Acting President.
I am working on a proposal to state the procedures for filling vacancies unambiguously in the guidelines. If you had not raised the issue, I might not have bothered. You may soon be able to claim credit for a change that makes your objection moot. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.