Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal to ammend TB voting rules re: Participation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:27 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Generally, I think that jackal idea is a good one. Where I do have a concern is with the non-voting members. Specifically in cases such as:
Y/N/A/NV
4/0/2/3
4/2/1/2

In both cases, super majority (>=6) members participated in the vote and 2/3 majority was achieved. To require a motion to also take into account people that choose not to vote seems wrong to me. I can understand the requirement for a quorum (either either 5 or 6 sounds fine), but to require 2/3 plus a majority of all possible voters might be too restrictive.

To illustrate my reasoning, today all votes with 6 "Yes" votes will pass and that will not change. Any vote with 3 "No" and less than 6 "Yes" will fail and this will not change either. The question is what will happen to votes with 4 & 5 "Yes" votes - I think that people are OK with 5 "Yes" and less than 3 "No", passing (this is also the same as today, if the other two don't vote).

The cases in question are those that would pass today, but will fail if a majority of all possible voters is required:
Y/N/A/NV
4/0/2/3
4/0/1/4
4/1/1/3
4/2/0/3

With "Abstain" not counting as a "No" anymore the following will also be added to the Pass column (today all of these will fail)
Y/N/A/NV
4/2/1/2
4/2/2/1
4/2/3/0

All of these seem like reasonable outcomes.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
If you are thinking that expecting more than 5 votes to allow a vote to pass might be too restrictive, then perhaps you might say how many times those voting outcomes have been achieved in the past few years? I can think of one vote only where there were two no votes (because I was one of them). Some of the MTW votes had some screwy results. But if those potential outcomes are so rare they might have come up only once or twice (or not at all), I'd suggest a rule which doesn't take account of them isn't being too restrictive.

Somebody once made a nice spreadsheet tracking individual's voting records - that would be a quick way to see how often this result occurred. Only problem is I can't remember who it was
Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:24 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I personally don't have a problem with a motion passing with 1 yes, 0 no and 8 abstains or 'did not votes'.

Votes have consequences. And when you chose not to decide (by voting to abstain) you are leaving the decision in the hands of those who DO care to decide. Even if only one person cares enough to decide. Which is preciesely what abstentions are MEANT to allow!!! @:-)

MY solution would be to change the 'abstain' nomenclature to 'present.'

And while voting 'present' keeps a TB member from running afoul of the missed-votes requirements, it should NOT affect the outcome of the vote in any way.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
MY solution would be to change the 'abstain' nomenclature to 'present.'
I'm not in favour of using the term "present", but otherwise I am in agreement with this.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:20 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
My biggest disappointment in the last TalkBoard term was our inability to reach agreement on this seemingly trivial issue. Perhaps the unwillingness to bend was precisely BECAUSE the issue is trivial.

Perhaps members would have been more willing to accept less than their ideal in the interest of reaching agreement if the issue had been important. I certainly hope that was the case.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 1:05 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Hi there. I've been off FT since last weekend due to being sick, and am just online to do a quick catch up. I've got a biz conf call which I wish I could postpone, but can't & then I'm headed back to bed. I'll reread this tomorrow when hopefully my head isn't stuffed, my tummy isn't roiling & I can follow the stats, arguments for, against, etc, in both the public & private TB forums & other threads listed. I appreciate the input of everyone. BTW - I sucked at statistics, so it may take me a few rereads to make it through everything

Cheers.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 1:28 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by nsx
My biggest disappointment in the last TalkBoard term was our inability to reach agreement on this seemingly trivial issue. Perhaps the unwillingness to bend was precisely BECAUSE the issue is trivial.

Perhaps members would have been more willing to accept less than their ideal in the interest of reaching agreement if the issue had been important. I certainly hope that was the case.
FWIW It's only a trvial issue if everyone treats it as such. IMHO this isn't a trivial matter given the time spend debating the issue and the realisation it could impact TB votes in an unpopular fashion.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 1:38 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by nsx

It seems to me that those who wanted this trivial change could have also opted for status quo in the interest of consensus...
Old Dec 15, 2010, 1:58 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by nsx

I don't think it's trivial either.

This is EXACTLY the sort of vote that should be taken whether there is consensus or not. FTers deserve to know where each of the TB members stand on an issue like this, imho.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 2:34 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Yes.

I've yet to see a good argument for retaining the current status quo which TB has already voted to change from already once because it didn't work then. Those on TB with me have already worked under the other system and didn't seem to object to it then. What is the problem with reinstating the previous system which seems to have got lost along the way?
Old Dec 15, 2010, 2:36 pm

Programs: HH Silver
This is EXACTLY the sort of vote that should be taken whether there is consensus or not. FTers deserve to know where each of the TB members stand on an issue like this, imho.
Amen, koko! Too many non-votes IMHO.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 3:26 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I don't think it's trivial either.

I disagree with voting just to stake out a position. I think it reduces the chance of future compromise.

However I have to say that it didn't work in the last term, and that I have great respect for your opinion on any matter. In short, I could be wrong about this.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 3:33 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Spiff
It seems to me that those who wanted this trivial change could have also opted for status quo in the interest of consensus...
Well, that's pretty much what happened last term. What I hoped for was that 5 or 6 people could meet somewhere in the middle, especially given that the current interpretation appears to be a semi-accidental change from the way things worked before the comprehensive TB Guidelines were written.

In other words, FT deserved and deserves a true consensus agreement on this issue. Horse trade with some other issues if you have to, but find 6 votes and get it done. Just my opinion.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 4:34 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jenbel
If you are thinking that expecting more than 5 votes to allow a vote to pass might be too restrictive, then perhaps you might say how many times those voting outcomes have been achieved in the past few years? I can think of one vote only where there were two no votes (because I was one of them). Some of the MTW votes had some screwy results. But if those potential outcomes are so rare they might have come up only once or twice (or not at all), I'd suggest a rule which doesn't take account of them isn't being too restrictive.

Somebody once made a nice spreadsheet tracking individual's voting records - that would be a quick way to see how often this result occurred. Only problem is I can't remember who it was
Yes, i think that requiring 5 "Yes" votes regardless of the number of "No" is too restrictive. Consider the case in which 4 voted "Yes", 0 voted "No", 3 voted "Present" (Abstain) and 2 didn't vote. Other than TB, I'm not aware of any organization in which this type of a result wouldn't be a pass. Clearly there is a quorum (anyone know of an org which requires more than 2/3 for a quorum?, in this case we have 7/9) and clearly there is a super majority (100% of the Yes/No votes).

Yes, we must make sure that votes in which there is only 1,2 or three people participating don't carry the day - this is the reason for quorum requirement. Should that number be 4 (more than 1/3), 5 (more than 1/2) or 6 (2/3) of the eligible voters? I'm not sure, and I could go with any of them. However, once there is a quorum, the only requirement on the vote should be the needed majority (be it 1/2+1, 3/5 or 2/3). If a quorum (let's say 6) is in place and the vote is 2 "Yes", 0 "No" and 4 "Present" then the motion is passed - the 4 people that voted "Present" didn't object to the motion any one of them could have stop the motion from passing by simply not voting (5 is less than the required quorum in this example).

Bottom line, "quorum" and "needed majority" are two separate requirements, let's not try and roll them into one.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 4:53 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by nsx
Well, that's pretty much what happened last term. What I hoped for was that 5 or 6 people could meet somewhere in the middle, especially given that the current interpretation appears to be a semi-accidental change from the way things worked before the comprehensive TB Guidelines were written.

In other words, FT deserved and deserves a true consensus agreement on this issue. Horse trade with some other issues if you have to, but find 6 votes and get it done. Just my opinion.
I'm not a big fan of "horse trading". Unless there's some serious gridlock (and the issues are way more important than this example), I strongly believe that each should vote his/her conscience but be willing to discuss the issues at hand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.