Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal for "Invite-Only" or "Restricted" area of forum

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2010, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johndeere19
To start, maybe limit it to those registered for >1 year and have >100 posts. From there, perhaps some sort of audition panel model (i.e. you will only get an invite if you PM a designated person an idea you have that isn't readily available on the forum and it is approved by 1-2 of the proposed section's moderators)?

This would greatly reduce the 200,000 to (fill in number, not sure) and limit it only to those that contribute their idea (therefore everyone has skin in the game rather than just leeching).

On a side note, I would absolutely volunteer to be a part of the screening process.
I'm already getting nervous just thinking about my audition.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 4:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Yankeeflyer
You should check out the genesis of the OP's proposal, and you might change your mind.
Isn't it about the dollar coin purchases? That was the same topic that caused the discussion of the Mileage Run Discussion forum having restricted access before. If it's not about dollar coins, what is it about?

Let me add that the prior discussion heavily involved the Mileage Run Discussion moderators. Do you have them on board with this new proposal?
Old Aug 31, 2010, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm already getting nervous just thinking about my audition.
Coming soon to a video feed near you: FT's got talent.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
To start, maybe limit it to those registered for >1 year and have >100 posts.
Then FTers would never have learned about the Concorde Hotel Singapore deal, because it's the 1st post/thread from jammin, who would not be on "the list."

There are newbies and there are newbies. To be fair, some newbies even demonstrate more common sense than certain old timers. I've also seen clueless posts from FTers with post count in hundreds (even thousands).

There's no correlation between (common sense+ self-discipline) and (post count and/or membership year).

From there, perhaps some sort of audition panel model (i.e. you will only get an invite if you PM a designated person an idea you have that isn't readily available on the forum and...?
Are you trying to start a secret club for genii or those-who-do-not-use-FTsearch? The two groups are very different but both fit the above criterion.

BTW, who gets to play the "almighty selection/screening god?"

The purpose of this area would be to reduce public availability of certain deals and to maintain some sort of discipline around long term benefit rather than short one-and-done, kill this deal, sprints.
I can see where you are coming from. BUT...

Whatever the purpose of this proposed restricted area is, I doubt it would be in line with mission of FT. Who gets to decide what deals to be restricted info?

Not to mention it's impossible to cultivate virtue on any internet bulletin board.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 6:10 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Although I never participate in CC and rarely in MR/deals fora, I am in favor of this for a couple of reasons.

On Randy has discussed his original intention of the CC. To be honest, I think some of these deals would benefit from the same spirit. How many of us withhold information or ideas because you're afraid someone's going to spoil it?

Case in point... I got flamed out of the Coin thread 2 years ago because I had a bank teller warn me about excessive deposits prior to the Mint restricting the sales. She told me that someone had made a >$5k deposit and the bank reported it. Some members were upset by my post and began to accuse me of encouraging fraud, etc. The reality is that I was simply trying to pass on the message oft repeated across that and other threads (mistake fares, for example) of "don't be greedy."

Anyway, back to Randy's original CC intent... I genuinely believe a restricted forum based on time/post count/daily post average as a payback for one's FT contributions would be beneficial.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yankeeflyer
You should check out the genesis of the OP's proposal, and you might change your mind.
My assumption is that it's about buying the $1 coins on a credit card? I haven't been following that thread so a synopsis or link to the posts in question would be appreciated.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok - so I read through the last several pages of the US Mint coin & gathered what info I could from the FTG blog.

So, someone posted something off of FT that was information that could have been easily gathered from FT (or even FatWallet and the like).

IMHO, a "restricted" forum still wouldn't prevent the poster to post on a blog. Same thing with Airfare Watch Dog posting stuff that was pulled from the MR forum.

These folks would likely meet whatever restriction you'd want put in place.

If you don't want information shared publically, then don't share it or discuss it on FlyerTalk - make the simple assumption that every post you put is being read by an airline or hotel or rental car or even a credit card lurker. Folks, companies are not stupid here - they realize the value of FT and I guarantee you this site is mined for data and perceptions.

I don't think that a couple of "deals" (which in this particular case, is something that some folks may consider to be bad karma as tax payers are footing the bill for shipping & credit card fees) potentially drying up should make FT an exclusive place. The OP's of this thread has been on FT for less than a year & has about 200 posts...many on FT would consider that person a newbie still...and if there was some sort of restriction approved, it may exclude someone like that.

If you want to be exclusive, maybe go start a forum elsewhere....
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I see it as two different things. With the MR Discussion Topics, they were discussing putting up a wall for something that was already there and available to the public. With my proposal, it is a completely separate and new area.
Sorry but whether it's an exisiting forum or a brand new one it still seems to be the same thing: restricting access. Considering many here vociferously opposed any kind of access restrictions so the chances of such a proposal coming to pass are tiny especially with such subjective entry requirements.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
My assumption is that it's about buying the $1 coins on a credit card? I haven't been following that thread so a synopsis or link to the posts in question would be appreciated.
My apologies to the lateness of my reply, but you subsequently got to the heart of the matter.

I realize now that my post was confusing, but I was making a social comment about the purpose of FT seeming to have been completely lost in that thread, which only was further evidenced by a few people now looking to set up a "secret club" to get access to information on FT.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Ha!

More to this idea than meeets the eye it seems.

FT is an open resource. Always has been.

That it precisely why it survives.

I've been here over 10 years, and earned many millions of miles from tips gathered from here.

No secret cabals needed. No special handshakes. No insider tips.

I got, like many others, some 1.4 MILLION free airline miles on KLM that any member had access to for months, simply for faxing in their elite statement and taking one paid flight. That gave us several round the world, first class tickets and I still have a bunch not spent.

I made BA Concorde RT flights for $1,200, (as did 100s of others here) stayed at many hotel for $1 a night etc.

The list goes on forever.

Hang in there, be an active member, and read a lot.

The deals are there for the taking. For ALL members. It what the Community is all about.

Sure many loopholes get plugged fast .. that is WHY being active pays off.

Old Sep 1, 2010, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by lin821
Then FTers would never have learned about the Concorde Hotel Singapore deal, because it's the 1st post/thread from jammin, who would not be on "the list."

There are newbies and there are newbies. To be fair, some newbies even demonstrate more common sense than certain old timers. I've also seen clueless posts from FTers with post count in hundreds (even thousands).

There's no correlation between (common sense+ self-discipline) and (post count and/or membership year).

Are you trying to start a secret club for genii or those-who-do-not-use-FTsearch? The two groups are very different but both fit the above criterion.

BTW, who gets to play the "almighty selection/screening god?"

I can see where you are coming from. BUT...

Whatever the purpose of this proposed restricted area is, I doubt it would be in line with mission of FT. Who gets to decide what deals to be restricted info?

Not to mention it's impossible to cultivate virtue on any internet bulletin board.
I agree that there is no correlation between length of time here or even post count. In fact the one that posted the coin method is actually a frequent and long time contributor. For that reason I suggest an invite-only method but pulled from a list of users that fall under certain criteria. If you can propose any other method that would 1. alleviate the amount of work it would take 1-2 people to send out invite and 2. limit the probability of deals being ruined by being publicly blasted across all channels, then please post it. I merely put up a suggestion rather than "This is exactly what we should do."

Originally Posted by emma dog
Although I never participate in CC and rarely in MR/deals fora, I am in favor of this for a couple of reasons.

On Randy has discussed his original intention of the CC. To be honest, I think some of these deals would benefit from the same spirit. How many of us withhold information or ideas because you're afraid someone's going to spoil it?

Case in point... I got flamed out of the Coin thread 2 years ago because I had a bank teller warn me about excessive deposits prior to the Mint restricting the sales. She told me that someone had made a >$5k deposit and the bank reported it. Some members were upset by my post and began to accuse me of encouraging fraud, etc. The reality is that I was simply trying to pass on the message oft repeated across that and other threads (mistake fares, for example) of "don't be greedy."

Anyway, back to Randy's original CC intent... I genuinely believe a restricted forum based on time/post count/daily post average as a payback for one's FT contributions would be beneficial.
Agreed, but I do worry that it won't limit the "don't be greedy" message based on the method of entry I've proposed so far. Again, I try to get around this with the selective process, but that may be too much work to handle.

Ok - so I read through the last several pages of the US Mint coin & gathered what info I could from the FTG blog.

So, someone posted something off of FT that was information that could have been easily gathered from FT (or even FatWallet and the like).

IMHO, a "restricted" forum still wouldn't prevent the poster to post on a blog. Same thing with Airfare Watch Dog posting stuff that was pulled from the MR forum.

These folks would likely meet whatever restriction you'd want put in place.

If you don't want information shared publically, then don't share it or discuss it on FlyerTalk - make the simple assumption that every post you put is being read by an airline or hotel or rental car or even a credit card lurker. Folks, companies are not stupid here - they realize the value of FT and I guarantee you this site is mined for data and perceptions.

I don't think that a couple of "deals" (which in this particular case, is something that some folks may consider to be bad karma as tax payers are footing the bill for shipping & credit card fees) potentially drying up should make FT an exclusive place. The OP's of this thread has been on FT for less than a year & has about 200 posts...many on FT would consider that person a newbie still...and if there was some sort of restriction approved, it may exclude someone like that.

This is my exact point. I am afraid to post certain deals that I am using and have not seen posted here for fear of it being used and abused to the point that the company running the promotion will take action. I'd gladly share something that can get me 2-3k *wood points/month for less than $0.005/mile, but not if it burns up in 1 week. How many other people out there have the same fear as me...10, 100, 1000? How many deals are we missing out on as a community because of this fear?

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Ha!

More to this idea than meeets the eye it seems.

FT is an open resource. Always has been.

That it precisely why it survives.

I've been here over 10 years, and earned many millions of miles from tips gathered from here.

No secret cabals needed. No special handshakes. No insider tips.

I got, like many others, some 1.4 MILLION free airline miles on KLM that any member had access to for months, simply for faxing in their elite statement and taking one paid flight. That gave us several round the world, first class tickets and I still have a bunch not spent.

I made BA Concorde RT flights for $1,200, (as did 100s of others here) stayed at many hotel for $1 a night etc.

The list goes on forever.

Hang in there, be an active member, and read a lot.

The deals are there for the taking. For ALL members. It what the Community is all about.

Sure many loopholes get plugged fast .. that is WHY being active pays off.

Believe me, ever since I started really being a part of this forum, I've checked it multiple times daily, hoping to snag that $0 Iceland fare or similar. I would just like to see some sort of limitation put up on the "loopholes get[ing] plugged fast" and believe that this might help in at least slowing down that process.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 7:42 am
Original Poster

The OP's of this thread has been on FT for less than a year & has about 200 posts...many on FT would consider that person a newbie still...and if there was some sort of restriction approved, it may exclude someone like that.
Restrict me then...I'll be here for some time and will earn my way in.

Originally Posted by jackal
The main reason I brought it up is because I wasn't here to vote on or discuss my take on the original proposal. It is partially my support of the original proposal that is currently leading me towards not supporting the current one.

In order for me to be comfortable supporting this proposal, I need to believe that 1) passing this proposal will have the desired effect of increasing the sharing of deals and 2) passing this proposal will not hurt the greater FlyerTalk community by obscuring a center of discussion and assistance that does the great service of attracting new people to the forums. So far, I am not convinced this proposal achieves either objective. I'm open for convincing, but we only have a few more days before the vote closes!
I found this post interesting from the aforementioned Access Restricted Thread and wanted to bring it here. As far as increasing the sharing of deals, I believe that the "share a deal to get an invite" barrier to entry would accomplish this. As far as number 2 goes, any sort of restriction would hurt the greater FT community, I don't believe there is any debate there...BUT perhaps some sort of time delay could be implemented when it would be released to the community at large (and subsequently the public). This would give ample time for those dedicated to the site to completely figure out the deals ins and outs and sustainably use it until it is released to everyone to be devoured.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
johndeere19 - the fatal flaw in your master plan is that you seem to assume some superbeing will select only those for access who will swear on 10 bibles not to blab.

You are also assuming of course also that these chosen few will between them (a) source every good deal existing and (b) share them.

Join the REAL world - it will not happen.

Airline and Hotel staff are EVERYWHERE on FT, including posting to this very thread.

100s of them have a lot more posts than you, and they of course will likely get granted entry to this secret club only to be tempted pass on any major snafus they see to HQ.

See the flaw in your plan yet?

It is a DEAD HORSE .. been beaten totally to death with the secret Mileage Run discussion. Take a day of your life and read that, and your see it is a non starter.

Flyertalk is not run by PBS or the Girl Scouts.

It is owned by a VERY much for profit outfit called IB, and they make money from volume and hits and posts and traffic and google indexing etc.

Cute little Secret Forums are not going to appeal to their bean counters.

A $5 Iceland fare generates 1000s of postsand 100,000s of page views. Good for IB, and that is where things will stay methinks.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozstamps
johndeere19 - the fatal flaw in your master plan is that you seem to assume some superbeing will select only those for access who will swear on 10 bibles not to blab.
I do see a flaw in my plan which I have admitted multiple times and why I have asked, "what would you do?"

You are also assuming of course also that these chosen few will between them (a) source every good deal existing and (b) share them.

Join the REAL world - it will not happen.
Of course, I never stated that these chosen few will source EVERY good deal and share them. BUT, if this adds a few deals per month because of sense of trust and temporary exclusivity, then it will achieve what the original goals were of all the previous MR discussions, no?

Airline and Hotel staff are EVERYWHERE on FT, including posting to this very thread.

100s of them have a lot more posts than you, and they of course will likely get granted entry to this secret club only to be tempted pass on any major snafus they see to HQ.

See the flaw in your plan yet?

It is a DEAD HORSE .. been beaten totally to death with the secret Mileage Run discussion. Take a day of your life and read that, and your see it is a non starter.

Flyertalk is not run by PBS or the Girl Scouts.

It is owned by a VERY much for profit outfit called IB, and they make money from volume and hits and posts and traffic and google indexing etc.

Cute little Secret Forums are not going to appeal to their bean counters.

A $5 Iceland fare generates 1000s of postsand 100,000s of page views. Good for IB, and that is where things will stay methinks.
If people were more inclined to post deals in this exclusive area that they were not inclined to post elsewhere, then those would garner many 1000s of posts and many 1000s of pageviews. If someone were to post something like the coin deal in this exclusive section but hasn't done so yet on the open forum for fear of it being greedily abused until the free/cheap mileage well dries up, would that be worth it?
Old Sep 1, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
If you can propose any other method that would 1. alleviate the amount of work it would take 1-2 people to send out invite and 2. limit the probability of deals being ruined by being publicly blasted across all channels, then please post it.
I don't think I can come up with any method to accomplish an impossible mission on FT. It's a losing battle.

Just face the truth or harsh reality. Publicity is 99.9999999% guaranty when things/ideas get posted on FT. FTers love to share. It won't make any difference even the info is in the restricted area.

Ever wonder why the MR Discussion Forum is what it is today?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.