Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics > Talkboard Elections/15
Reload this Page >

Question 1: Why are you motivated to run?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:42 am
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Do you currently participate in public Talkboard discussions? If not, what interests you about serving FlyerTalk on Talkboard?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Do you currently participate in public Talkboard discussions? If not, what interests you about serving FlyerTalk on Talkboard?
It's one of the few places where I consider myself a regular. While my posting is nowhere near as regular as when I was on TalkBoard previously, I do follow the discussions and contribute where I think it's useful.

I think almost all discussions regarding TalkBoard should be public, by the way, even by TalkBoard members.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Because I did a lot of good in my first term. Looking beyond the bickering, I was a very present and vocal TB member in the public forum. I also started many of the threads in the private forum to kick off crafting of motions and I made motions for a lot of the votes. I want to continue that in a second term.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:07 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
While I've thought about running I've tended to feel that there was always a good group of FTers running. So I didn't feel I really needed to run.

But over the last few years I noticed that quite a few of the same folks were running for TB. And while I'll be the first to admit that is because those that are running are probably some of the most passionate FTers, really want what is best for FT and are willing to put up there time and effort to help out. But I also think that with the same folks running, the same issues (and answers) seem to keep coming up with TB making it harder for fresh ideas and thoughts to come through. And so I'm here running.

And in fairness, how could I have any place to complain about anything TB had done (or will do) if I were not willing to step up and put in my own time and effort in helping.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 3:06 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I spend a lot of time on FT and want to give back to the community. I've been following all the TB discussions and voicing some of my viewpoints along the way.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've been a member of FT for 13 years. During that time I've posted frequently on Talkboard, both as a regular member and during my prior tenure as a TB member. I'm probably not exaggerating to say I'm the one FTer/TB member who has participated the most in the public & private TB forums.

I do so because I value the input by FTers and enjoy engaging in discussions with them, learning their viewpoints, and sharing mine. It's also through participation that helps me to decide which way to vote when issues come up for voting.

I also believe it's our obligation as TB members - even though it's not required - that we do participate in the public forum (and the private one as well). There's nothing more irritating to me, as both a regular FTer and a TB member, to watch someone run for TB & then basically disappear/do nothing more than voting/the bare minimum after they've been elected.

What interests me about running for TB is that I would like to see FT continue to be the #1 resource for travelers worldwide. So much of what makes it that are FTers themselves, in terms of their generosity in sharing information. Another part of that is the administrative part, which TB serves with recommendations to the CommunityDirector re: opening or closing forums and synthesizing ideas from FTers & TB members to help make FT a better resource for travelers.

Cheers.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
What motivated me to run?

I believe that the time I spent on TalkBoard a few years ago was exceptionally productive, and we implemented some very large changes that added some very positive improvements to the community.

One was the implementation of the Information Desk. Creating a place for new members to learn about what FlyerTalk is, how to use the forums, how to get started with mileage programs, and get their toes wet in the community without fear of harsh or impatient responses from more established members has been instrumental in helping to grow the community and add thousands of new, productive contributors to the forum.

Another was the creation of wikiposts. Although a formal vote on wikiposts was never taken (because Internet Brands recognized the need for and created the functionality before we were done discussing it!), it was the discussion I started in the TalkBoard Topics forum that directly resulted in Internet Brands putting the development resources toward creating the software to do what we were asking.

We also took some time to really shore up the TalkBoard guidelines and significantly improve the procedural functioning of the TalkBoard. Sure, some members may roll their eyes that a fair amount of time was spent on "meta-TalkBoard" stuff, but we really fixed a lot of holes in our processes and cleaned up the way things are done. One key vote I'm proud of was the addition of term limits to TalkBoard--this was directly responsible for allowing the infusion of some new, fresh blood into the TalkBoard instead of TalkBoard being staffed and headed by the same few members who seemed to always serve year after year after year.

Although I think the previous term I spent on TalkBoard was exceptionally successful and productive, I believe there is still work to be done to make sure that FlyerTalk remains the #1 place on the Internet for all things travel. That's why I'm running.

As far as the TalkBoard Topics forum, I continue to monitor the TalkBoard Topics forum and remain interested in the development of FlyerTalk. And when I was on the TalkBoard, I made it a specific point to engage as much as possible with the public, take feedback into account, and represent the wishes of the membership in all of my actions. I believe my record stands for itself.

I pledge to continue that tradition if I am elected to this next session of the TalkBoard.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Why am I motivated to run for TalkBoard?

Hi all!

Apologies for the delayed post - I've just come off of an 18k mileage run to HNL.

My love of FT and appreciation of diverse voices motivated me to run for re-election to TalkBoard. I believe in being active in the public and private forums, but not posting for the sake of posting or promulgating noise.

I also think it's important to give back something to a resource that has given me so much knowledge and friendships (the mileage run originated from an FT post and a friend's email ).

Thanks!

Old Nov 11, 2015, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I was tied up for a couple of days and unable to devote any time to these questions. But now I'm free.

FlyerTalk has been a big part of my life, taking up an hour or more nearly every day, for a decade and a half. I get a lot out of the site, but being so familiar with it -- as a user, moderator and now TalkBoard president -- I see areas where it could be improved. TalkBoard is where those ideas can be discussed and ultimately recommended or rejected. Our work is literally never done, and I want to be here for two more years to make the greatest contribution that I can.

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.