Wiki Posts
Search

Question 7: Term Limits

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
You can't possibly open the can of worms, imply that skofarrell is incorrect, and then shut it again.

Candidly, without knowing what Randy's criteria are for "moderator," or having asked him if you (or these other members) meet them, did not meet them, or why in either event, it's pretty poor form to say "well, there are plenty of good volunteer moderators."

I can't read Randy's mind. Neither can anyone else. Again, I'd consider asking him before assuming that because someone did not have their moderation app handled with the outcome they'd like that the process is broken in the mind of the guy that really matters.

Talkboard members, FT members, and mods don't get to decide who becomes a mod. That's Randy's purview. People running around going "I have 10k posts and years of experience, ergo sum I'd make a good mod, ergo sum it's wrong that I was not chosen" are exactly why this process should not be in the hands of an elected body.
I'm relying on information that would be considered hearsay in a court of law and should therefore be given all the consideration hearsay deserves (since we're not in a court of law).

Why would he suggest someone apply and then they get rejected if he's the one making the ultimate decision? Makes no sense to me.

Again, I'm at a disadvantage here. In more ways than one. I can't really go into details and you call me on that (probably rightly so) and yet you have no problems with the credibility of skofarrell's assertion even though he also has provided no details.

Show me there's a shortage, then. Show me how many applied, how long they were here and why they were rejected.

That's not going to happen cause there's no transparency in the process. None whatsoever. Just like the TB discussion area.

I will say this: If I am elected to TB, I will not agree to any policy that removes any transparency between the TB and the general membership. That I can promise.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kanebear
I don't support term limits at all. The problem comes when you have someone very effective (I'll use gleff as an example) who's highly capable in a given position. To artificially limit their tenure does harm to FlyerTalk as you're removing someone who may wish to continue serving and in whom FlyerTalk is best served. I feel that if a TalkBoard member is not living up to their mandate, natural term limitation will rectify that issue.
Even though many feel Bill Clinton was an excellent president, he still was forced to vacate the office after serving 2 full terms. Many people can be effective, but it's easier for people to vote for a known quantity.

I would never serve more than 2 terms on TB, policy or no policy. That said, I stand by my original statements. I'm really not for formal term limits, personally.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
How do you feel about term limits for Talk Board members and/or moderators?
I don't support term limits for TB members as I don't see the need. As others have pointed out above, term limits will automatically be enforced by people choosing not stand for election year after year or not being re-elected.

As for moderators, there are no term limits and this is something that is squarely in the hands of Randy Petersen. The TB has no purview over moderation so it is not a relevant discussion for TB elections. If and when Randy changes this, then I will consider a position on this topic.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:05 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
The question is for me as what is the problem and would term limits achieve a desired solution for the problem.

I don't know either answer since I'm new to TB.

However, term limits have it's pros/cons. Experience is often key and can keep an organization on a stable course to the communities goals and mission. New voices however, can help drive innovation and new ideas. Both are key to success.

In order to answer this question truly, is to know what we would be trying to fix with term limits....
Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:10 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Originally Posted by flyertalk
This question submitted by member Mary2e:
I do not favor term limits. Perhaps I might change my mind after getting into the position .
Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Originally Posted by flyertalk
This question submitted by member Mary2e:
I dont have any issues with the term limits for TB members. With regards moderators I dont think there should be any term limits as these folk give up there time to try and keep the forums going, even though they can also be the most hated people in FT by some.

No need for change at all.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Term Limits

I do support term limits --I don't believe people should serve more than 2 consecutive terms, but after they sit a term out, I feel they should be more than welcome to come back to run again.

FlyerTalk is a vibrant community that evolves over time. I'd rather have fresh thoughts and faces in the mix on a somewhat regular basis to match the evolutionary need of the community ...rather than have the same people making the same decisions over and over.

However, I do value "old timers" and those that have served on the Board in the past.... which is why I'd welcome them to return to the race after sitting a term out after a 2-term cap.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I will offer myself for service and will serve as long as I believe I can be an asset to the community of frequent travelers here, as long as my business and personal life allows me to commit the time necessary, and as long as the members express their belief that I can do so effectively through their votes.

New blood can be useful, as well as some consistency, and the members of Flyertalk will decide how to achieve both -- through their votes likely for some existing members of TalkBoard and for some new members.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:29 pm

Programs: Peon in all
I do believe there should be term limits for TB - to an extent. The term limit may be something like 2 or 3 terms. After a period of time, they can try again for TB. How many times do you hear of someone in the Congress who has served 20 or 30 or 40 years - because there is no term limit! True, they can be voted out, but many voters will vote for someone they have "known" for 30 years instead of "new blood they never heard of". (Who knows, the "new blood" may be better.)

As far as term limits for moderators, I would say no. Although I personally have no personal knowledge of what it entails, I assume that there is much involved and to be learned.

I myself was an IRS tax auditor for over 8 years. When I left the job, I was still learning.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
I don't believe in term limits as I'm not aware of abuses that warrant these limits.

IMO if someone abuses his/her position in Talkboard or as a moderator then that person would be subject to removal by Randy.

Term limits doesn't seem to address a real need imo, at this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.