Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First A/R with new ZRH setup

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2009, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M SEN, Flying Blue Platinum, Executive Club nobody, Hilton Gold, Sol Melia MAS Gold
First A/R with new ZRH setup

Hi All,

Took my first CDG-ZRH-CDG trip in Schengen yesterday and was really disappointed.

I preferred LX to AF on this route because of mainline aircraft, and not having to take a bus to the plane.

With LX yesterday, I took a bus both to and from the plane at ZRH (departing A1-10 gates). These gates are stupid for an A320. There is only one boarding card scanner per gate, so the line is quite long to pass the check and it takes a very long time to board the airplane. This was very chaotic and un-swiss like.
I hope that taking a bus will not be an everytime occurrance ??? anyone know ??

Also T1 at CDG is not so good. The security screen was shared with Vueling and some other airlines, and too many leisure travellers who take too long to go through the 2 security desks, with metal in every pocket and big bottles of water !

I think they need to have a priority line here..?
Old Mar 31, 2009, 2:02 pm

Programs: LH SENATOR
Most LX flights to CDG depart from a pier at ZRH somethimes one or 2 flights can depart from Gates where you need to be bused but this is more the exception then the norm, just like before. For instance today all CDG flighs of LX from ZRH departed from a pier.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M&M SEN, Flying Blue Platinum, Executive Club nobody, Hilton Gold, Sol Melia MAS Gold
Did the trip again today, no bus in ZRH, I was just a little alarmed that we were on a bus both legs on Monday.

The problem today was the security queue in Paris T1. For 7h05 flight, both SAS and LOT flights departing around 7 as well, one security lane open. Waited 1h for security and flight took off 15 mins late because of this. I hope they get these kinks worked out !
Old Apr 2, 2009, 6:21 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
@robin.goodman

Just like you I travel that route very frequently (see my profile on the left). Just like you I prefer the LX flights for the reasons that you mention, plus a couple more (also see my signature on the bottom).

I have checked the CDG departures from ZRH and nothing seems to have changed. They typically leave from the far end of the A finger, i.e. gates A81 and higher. Bus gates are rare, and if they happen then typically only at the very very busy hours when LX needs to park some of its shorthaulers on the apron (I think the midday wave is such a case, with many LX flights on the ground in ZRH as they have brought in pax to connect to the longhaul departure wave around 12h-13h). Thus, not too much change there on the ZRH side, except that there's no more passport control for leaving Switzerland. But still the passport control at the gate. (You probably figured all of that already when you did your trip). Not sure what the new setup means for access to the LX lounges. The FCL should easily be accessible as it is "inside Schengen". What about the SEN lounge?

Now what did take me aback a bit is your description of the situation on the CDG side of things. I was certain that LX was going to joing LH in Satellite 6, where there's the LH lounge. Now you say LX share a satellite with SK, LO and Vueling. So what lounge are they using? SAS I suppose? The security filter situation is terrible there, and T1 is really a grotty place. But then the other satellites at T1 aren't any better, nor was T2B. It's just the way things are at CDG. And after almost 2'000 flights in/out of CDG in the past ten years I do now stop to mince my words and say what I think: the security staff at CDG are systematically more stupid and less friendly and forthcoming than anything I have experienced anywhere else (including Heathrow and the USA). The companies to whom security has been outsourced takes the cheapest labour available, and the rule of "pay peanuts, get monkeys" confirms itself. Add to that the unwillingness of Aeroports de Paris to allow fast track lines at T1, and you can be sure that the situation at CDG will not improve.

So long, probably we'll be on the same flight one day (without knowing it )
Old Apr 3, 2009, 5:30 am

Programs: LH SEN only nowadays, AF & AY basic. Radisson Blu fan :-)
no changes, really....

Did a Schengen Departure and Arrival yesterday all within 30 minutes (during boarding my boss calls and lets me know the meeting is cancelled... so I get out of the queue again and head back out... another 4 hours wasted ).

I think the only real benefit is you don't have to show your passport on immigration. The outbound benefit is not really given as you have to queue up and show the BP anyway.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by creber
@robin.goodman

Just like you I travel that route very frequently (see my profile on the left). Just like you I prefer the LX flights for the reasons that you mention, plus a couple more (also see my signature on the bottom).

I have checked the CDG departures from ZRH and nothing seems to have changed. They typically leave from the far end of the A finger, i.e. gates A81 and higher. Bus gates are rare, and if they happen then typically only at the very very busy hours when LX needs to park some of its shorthaulers on the apron (I think the midday wave is such a case, with many LX flights on the ground in ZRH as they have brought in pax to connect to the longhaul departure wave around 12h-13h). Thus, not too much change there on the ZRH side, except that there's no more passport control for leaving Switzerland. But still the passport control at the gate. (You probably figured all of that already when you did your trip). Not sure what the new setup means for access to the LX lounges. The FCL should easily be accessible as it is "inside Schengen". What about the SEN lounge?

Now what did take me aback a bit is your description of the situation on the CDG side of things. I was certain that LX was going to joing LH in Satellite 6, where there's the LH lounge. Now you say LX share a satellite with SK, LO and Vueling. So what lounge are they using? SAS I suppose? The security filter situation is terrible there, and T1 is really a grotty place. But then the other satellites at T1 aren't any better, nor was T2B. It's just the way things are at CDG. And after almost 2'000 flights in/out of CDG in the past ten years I do now stop to mince my words and say what I think: the security staff at CDG are systematically more stupid and less friendly and forthcoming than anything I have experienced anywhere else (including Heathrow and the USA). The companies to whom security has been outsourced takes the cheapest labour available, and the rule of "pay peanuts, get monkeys" confirms itself. Add to that the unwillingness of Aeroports de Paris to allow fast track lines at T1, and you can be sure that the situation at CDG will not improve.

So long, probably we'll be on the same flight one day (without knowing it )

Personally, I think they have made a big big mistake here, and will really jeopordize their position on this sector, using this crappy 70 to 78 pier in T1. They have the SAS lounge, which is a joke.... But the realy problem will be the security. With a maximum of two lanes available at any of my 3 round trips this week, I did not have a wait shorter than 30 mins. This is totally stupid. It is just another one of the things that ADP does which are really annoying and really add up.

This must be a very good route for swiss. Lots of busness traffic and lots of people like me who pay full fare of close to 800€ A/R for a very short flight. If this security situation is not resolved soon, i will have to start taking AF again, as I am sure that in 2G I will not wait so long. I refuse to wake up at 430 rather than 5 in the morning simply to plan for security

See you on board creeber
Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Well, they have really done it, if they do not move the LX flight at CDG or fix the security situation soon, they will have lost a lot of their market share.

Flight 20 mins late again this morning due to security queue, around 1 hr to pass the checkpoint. One lane open until 645, 2 lanes open after, for 4 flights departing within 15 misn of eachother.

Really unacceptable. Even if it is not the fault of LX, surely they can at least try and do something about it!!
Old Apr 6, 2009, 3:38 pm

Programs: LH Senator, BA Gold, AF Platinum, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat
Once bording an LX flight, still busses from the old 2B ina cold and rainy evening, after having queued for more than 1 hr, I promised myself not to do it again and I frequently planned meeting in Brussel and then I left from there.

This was the queue of that evening:

An this the bus to the plane, only one door was used (fro obvious reasons), I can't remember an airport run worst than CDG:
Old Apr 7, 2009, 10:58 am

I'm sure I'm being dumb but what is A/R?
Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by garethmorgan
I'm sure I'm being dumb but what is A/R?
return flight ( aller et retour )
Old Apr 8, 2009, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Fendant
return flight ( aller et retour )
TVM, I said I was dumb.

I could do another M&M as the equivalent in Welsh could be Mas a Mewn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.