Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying C from ZRH to JNB - what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2007, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN-2013, PC Platinum, HH Silver, MR
Flying C from ZRH to JNB - what to expect?

I am flying in C ZRH-JNB-ZRH next week - what can I expect?
What are the best seats in A340-300 from ZRH? How is the food? Seat comfort?

My last experience with LH in C (FRA-JNB-CPT-FRA) was not overwhelming.

Many thanks for your feedback!!
Old Feb 12, 2007, 7:07 am

Programs: LX, AZ, BA, LH, SA
LX business class on the A340 is ok-ish. angled flat bed similar to LH (new seat) business class, great IFE with large screen and reasonable choice, passable food (ex ZRH you are served supper with just two choices for main course, and a small tartlet instead of a proper dessert), frugal amenity kit containing the basics only, very nice FA's (better than most european airlines). Recommended seats in rows 4-5, the "mini cabin" in between first class and the galley - you get served first here and it is a lot quieter than the main cabin.
However ever since SAA joined *A, I only fly SAA to south africa in C class. You get a fully flat bed, a duvet and large pillow, first class meals and service, decent amenity kit, great arrivals lounge in JNB. Unless you are looking for status bonus miles, treat yourself to SAA next time!
Old Feb 12, 2007, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks, hilltopper, for the feedback. Unfortunately, SAA flights were either fully booked or SAA would not serve the route on the day needed. I have enjoyed SAA once and found it a great experience!! But LX does not sound too bad, either.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:14 am

Programs: LH, SA, AA
SAA has drastically cut down on the ZRH-JNB route. IIRC they are only servicing ZRH twice weekly now.

I have had no bad experiences at all in LX C to and from JNB. The seat seems to be a bit more slippery than the LH seat though.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 8:41 am

Programs: LH Senator, SAS EB, AA Platinum
SAA will stop flying ZRH-JNB on 30.4.06 and focus on MUC instead.
This was announced just a few days ago.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

That's too bad! I'll have to go to JNB again in April for a week! Guess I'll reserve seats in SAA quickly for the dates needed. Thanks for the heads up!
Old Feb 25, 2007, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Good experience with LX and SAA on ZRH-JNB-DUR-JNB-ZRH

I returned yesterday from my trip ZRH-JNB-DUR-JNB-ZRH. ZRH-JNB-ZRH was with LX, JNB-DUR-JNB was with SAA.

On both LX flights, I had seats in the 'mini C cabin' (5G and 5K). Service on both flights was excellent and FAs were nice, friendly and professional. Meals were very good and there were always two choices for starters and three choices for the main menue. I had twice the soup as a starter which turned out to be excellent! Breakfast also was great on both flights - fresh fruit, cheese, rolls and croissants and a warm component (salty or sweet). Really beneficial was that breakfast was served only about 90 min before arrival and in a very quiet manner so that sleeping pax were not woken up by banging around. What a difference to the LH flight I experienced in December.

I was in row 2 on both SAA flights. Although JNB-DUR is only one hour, C pax got a full warm lunch (two options), including a small salad and a dessert. I was really impressed (again) about the service quality and the friendliness and efficiency of the service!

All in all, a very positive experience from LX and SAA! Well done!
Old Feb 26, 2007, 2:22 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
Originally Posted by QMConsultant
Although JNB-DUR is only one hour, C pax got a full warm lunch (two options), including a small salad and a dessert. I was really impressed (again) about the service quality and the friendliness and efficiency of the service!

All in all, a very positive experience from LX and SAA! Well done!
Good to hear about a nice and happy LX experience ^
Just flew a short 1h trip in SQ C, and got a full meal as well (2 options).

quick question. I heard once that former SR used to fly around the Tafelberg for sightseeing... was that a joke, or is LX still doing this?
Old Feb 26, 2007, 3:51 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
quick question. I heard once that former SR used to fly around the Tafelberg for sightseeing... was that a joke, or is LX still doing this?
If LX would still be doing this, they would be flying a huge detour: the Table Mountain is in Cape Town, and LX only flies to JNB.

SmilingBoy.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 4:19 am

LX doesn't fly to Cape Town so no air-tours of the Tafelberg. SR did indeed go round the Tafelberg (as do most of the long-haul planes taking off from CPT).
LH tends to request a "manual"(?) departure and often flies down to Cape Point and back up the coast and then past the table mountain. Very nice if you remember to ask for a window seat on the right hand side of the plane.

Rgds

Marvin
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:26 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
If LX would still be doing this, they would be flying a huge detour: the Table Mountain is in Cape Town, and LX only flies to JNB.
oooooops, another geographic lesson at school I must have been missing
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:32 am

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
oooooops, another geographic lesson at school I must have been missing
Together with an english lesson: it should be a "geography" lesson. just kidding!
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:08 pm

Programs: LH, SA, AA
Originally Posted by Marvin
LX doesn't fly to Cape Town so no air-tours of the Tafelberg. SR did indeed go round the Tafelberg (as do most of the long-haul planes taking off from CPT).
LH tends to request a "manual"(?) departure and often flies down to Cape Point and back up the coast and then past the table mountain. Very nice if you remember to ask for a window seat on the right hand side of the plane.

Rgds

Marvin
I haven't seen one doing this "detour" in quite some time. Some years when CPT was very "hot" and you had OS, LX, AF et al. flying to CPT as well it was a standard procedure for many airlines (bar SA - they never did it) on approach and on departure.

I found this a real nuissance as it added at least 15 minutes to the flying time. Nice for the tourists with stunning views but most premium passengers were less than impressed. Announcements were kind of "we are expecting an on-time arrival" and five minutes later "we will be arriving 20 minutes late because we can offer you a scenic flight over Cape Point, Robben Island and the likes". OS and LH used to do every single time I flew with them on both arrival and departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.