Wiki Posts
Search

SwissAir and *Gold

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2006, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

SwissAir and *Gold

Hi guys,

I'm taking my first trip with Swiss airlines later this month and I was hoping fellow flyertalkers could help me with a few questions:

1. What benefits do I get as a Star Alliance Gold member? Besides the normal lounge and pre-boarding, are there any upgrade possibilities?
2. As a UA 1K member, I know the SWU (system-wide upgrades) is applicable to Lufthansa flights. Does anyone know if the SWU could be applied for Swiss Air?
3. My flight is from JFK - ZRH, and expedia shows it as a A330 (I'm guessing a three class cabin). Looking at SeatGuru, it seems like 23D, 23G, 28B, and 28J to be the best seats. Does anyone else have other suggestions?

Your help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
James
Old Oct 8, 2006, 8:31 am

Programs: LH Sen, IHG Spire, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by james1
3. My flight is from JFK - ZRH, and expedia shows it as a A330 (I'm guessing a three class cabin). Looking at SeatGuru, it seems like 23D, 23G, 28B, and 28J to be the best seats.
James
23D&G are ok, if you are desperate for legroom (I used it). You have half a seat-width unlimited legroom in the aisle (beware of trollies ). However, the tables are quite uncomfortable.

28A,B,J,K are equally good I would say.

The bulkhead seats 22 are also not bad (better than the normal seats). Different from SeatGuru I think the legroom is quite ok there.
The row 27 seats are similar, but usually reserved for travelers with babies.

In general the treatment as *G was ok for me.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHWolf
23D&G are ok, if you are desperate for legroom (I used it). You have half a seat-width unlimited legroom in the aisle (beware of trollies ). However, the tables are quite uncomfortable.

28A,B,J,K are equally good I would say.

The bulkhead seats 22 are also not bad (better than the normal seats). Different from SeatGuru I think the legroom is quite ok there.
The row 27 seats are similar, but usually reserved for travelers with babies.

In general the treatment as *G was ok for me.
Thank you! I'll check to see what they have available..
Old Oct 14, 2006, 12:50 pm

Programs: BonvoyAmbassadorElite, HyattPlatinum, Cathay Pacific Diamond, AeroplanSuperElite
*Gold check lugage benefit

Thursday night I traveled CDG to Zurich and then to Hong Kong. I had three bags to check in at a total of 55kg and one carry on.

I was told that I was only allowed 20kgs (economy ticket) and that I would have to pay 1890 euro in exess bagage fees. When I pointed out that I am *Gold they said that it doesnt count with Swiss as my membership is with Air Canada. At that point I kept asking them to check and after about 10 minutes someone finally looked into it and said that as a *gold I am allowed an additional 20kg..so I only had to pay 820 Euros.

As a *Gold member traveling in economy what is the check in benefit and also what is the carry on benefit.

This was my 8th round trip Hong Kong to Zurich in 7 months and I am feeling a bit ripped off by Swiss. It may be my last. I have been told that Cathay has a much more lenient baggage restrictions.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 2:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
on international, but non-transatlantic flights with LX StarGold in eco can check-in the usual 20 kg (current unofficial tolerance is to let 22,5 kg go) plus a StarGold bonus of another 10 kg.

as a StarGold you can check-in at LX first-class counters, and in my experience, if your are lucky, the tolerance is better/higher ... (that's one of the reasons, when travelling heavy, to check-in in ZRH at the special LX-fist-class 'tent' where I never noticed any weight procedure at all).
Old Oct 14, 2006, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by Rudi
on international, but non-transatlantic flights with LX StarGold in eco can check-in the usual 20 kg (current unofficial tolerance is to let 22,5 kg go) plus a StarGold bonus of another 10 kg.
*G bonus is another 20 kg when on the "weight concept".

See http://webwork.staralliance.com/main..._services.html
Old Oct 14, 2006, 3:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by flysurfer
*G bonus is another 20 kg when on the "weight concept".

See http://webwork.staralliance.com/main..._services.html
I stand (thankfully) corrected.

merci
Old Oct 14, 2006, 9:26 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by Rudi
(that's one of the reasons, when travelling heavy, to check-in in ZRH at the special LX-fist-class 'tent' where I never noticed any weight procedure at all).
When did the "island" become a "tent"?
Old Oct 14, 2006, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by alect
When did the "island" become a "tent"?
Cost cutting?
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by james1
2. As a UA 1K member, I know the SWU (system-wide upgrades) is applicable to Lufthansa flights. Does anyone know if the SWU could be applied for Swiss Air?
Bump -- Anyone know if / when SWISS will join United's Star Alliance Upgrade Rewards through Mileage Plus? Thanks!

United's *A Upgrade Program
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:45 am

Programs: LH-SEN SQ-PPS
personal feedback on LX

Just my opinion, it may not be of relevance to the OP.

I have to say that my round-trip SIN-BKK-ZRH (in last 10 days) was an absolute disappointment – food and aircraft (incl toilet) cleanliness. And add this to the disgraceful LX Lounge* in ZRH – basic & no hot food options; the upgraded services in LH SEN in FRA are far better (I never thought I'd say this...)

Sorry to say that after 6 years of mostly flying LH, transiting FRA and LH SEN lounges, my higher expectations from LX and ZRH airport are now gone, unfortunately. And I am not even close to being an LH fan either…

*Note: ZRH LX Arrival Lounge is a totally different story; unfortunately, it closes at 1pm.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 2:05 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Sad to read about your bad experience, fly4fun.
LX lounge is indeed nothing...
Old Oct 16, 2006, 3:52 pm

Indeed long gone the days of the ''SwissAir'' lounges !!!! The Star Gold lounge at ZRH is much better than the Swiss lounge and is staffed by LH ( well thats what uniform they were wearing).

A hot buffet wouldnt go a miss. I think you only get that in the Swiss 1st class lounge which is an annex of the Swiss Business lounge.

Have to say I found my Swiss flights very good and am flying them again in December. I actually posted a question re my baggage allowance in the Star Alliance board but got it answered here. I am in Economy and have a BMI gold card so im thinking I get 20k + 20k .
Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:57 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Thumbs down Poor maintenance and shabby

When in Zurich..... go to the Star Alliance Lounge - if you have enough time for the long walk. The staff is charming and *G can access the Senator section on the left.

At least this lounge has a well stocked supply of reading material, looks clean and neat and has the work stations in good conditions.

Just this morning I got very upset about the decreasing level of the Swiss Lounge (Business section). At 1015 AM most reading material (daily newspaper) was missing. Many work stations were shut off and cables (where one could in the past connect to the Internet for free with the own notebook) were torn out. Many ethernet sockets were just empty holes. This severe lack of mainenance adds to the shabby appearance of the lounge with the smoke filled "longest" lounge bar in the world as its last "unique" feature.

Heading intercontinental one can also go to the excellent "Bellevue" Lounge at Pier E - non US section (it is a Swissport lounge serving C and F of airlines departing there).
Old Oct 17, 2006, 5:55 pm

Programs: Onetime bmi * Gold lifetime membership, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold
Lounge access

Does anyone know if Star Golds can use Swiss First lounges? I'm traveling longhaul in Business via Zurich and wondered if the First lounge there was any good.

Thanks for any advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.