Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage shortcheck

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2024, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Luggage shortcheck

Perhaps it will be useful for other FTs.

I had an itinerary ZRH-CDG//CDG-ZRH-BKK on two different PNRs, with ZRH-CDG-ZRH being on the same aircraft as back to back and ZRH-BKK being in F.

In ZRH check in agents in HON/F section refused to check my luggage for ZRH-BKK flight only. Nor was it possible to check it as: CDG-ZRH-BKK. Agents said that they are not allowed to short check unless the first segment has been flown and they are not allowed to check luggage on two separate PNRs even if both are LX itineraries. They called DS manager to confirmed and refused to allow.

Most probably, this rule has been for a while, as the agent said that she had known it for 2 years now. Admittedly, it was my first time doing this (and last one). On LH I could do many other different sort of things with the luggage.

Not complaining: dura lex sed lex…
Old Feb 18, 2024, 8:35 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Yes, we've had a thread about this here recently, this is indeed an established rule.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 4:36 pm

Did you try through checking the luggage ZRH CDG ZRH BKK?

That should not affect you then unless they lose it.

Short checking is possible indeed when first flight is flown, skipping last flight not first flight.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 4:37 pm

The solution is to call in advance, adding the segments into the other itenerary.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Originally Posted by f4free

Short checking is possible indeed when first flight is flown, skipping last flight not first flight.
I suggested this and was told that LX won’t check luggage beyond segments that are on a
PNR that starts from ZRH. LX won’t check-thru luggage on two separate PNRs, either. All segments have to be under the single ticket number to benefit from check-thru luggage.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 11:28 pm

Programs: LH HON

a bag also can not touch the same airport (here: ZRH) twice
Old Feb 19, 2024, 2:40 am

I'll throw in a question on shortchecking here. About to book a OSL-DEL//BOM-OSL flight; due to scheduling, I'll end up with an 11 hour layover in ZRH on the return which I'd like to avoid nor want to pay an additional €1.2k to fly via SAS for a 4 hours earlier arrival. Considering booking a separate ZRH-FRA-OSL ticket.

a) will LX short check to ZRH (no issue collecting luggage ourselves)
b) assume LH F lounge access won't be an issue in FRA (as we're flying F from BOM)

Any reason why LX aren't selling connections via FRA?
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:00 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
Typical LX behaviour towards pax who book ex cheaper origins. Has been like that for years. I told them if they don't like cheap ex wherever airports then stop selling those tickets.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
Typical LX behaviour towards pax who book ex cheaper origins. Has been like that for years. I told them if they don't like cheap ex wherever airports then stop selling those tickets.
I take some offence to that as I am actually ex-OSL ;-). I just don't really understand when they have 1x or 2x daily flights they cannot offer an LH xHub connection (but will offer xCPH...)
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
I think they heard you, decent A fares are getting ever more difficult to find
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
No, as I read it, OP was at ZRH trying to check the bags for ZRH-BKK only.

To check bags for ZRH-XXX-ZRH-YYY is not possible/not allowed.
the810 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
I'll throw in a question on shortchecking here. About to book a OSL-DEL//BOM-OSL flight; due to scheduling, I'll end up with an 11 hour layover in ZRH on the return which I'd like to avoid nor want to pay an additional €1.2k to fly via SAS for a 4 hours earlier arrival. Considering booking a separate ZRH-FRA-OSL ticket.
a) will LX short check to ZRH (no issue collecting luggage ourselves)
You can try to explain at the check-in counters at BOM that due to the length of layover at ZRH you need to get your bags at ZRH (winter clothes in the checked bag?). If agent refuses to short check the bags to ZRH only, you can always get the bags delivered to you at ZRH despite tagged to OSL if upon arrival ZRH you inform LX staff that you will not travel to OSL (you don't feel well or urgent change of plans) and you need to bags to be delivered to you at ZRH. The checked bags can't be loaded on the aircraft when you are off-loaded/no longer checked in for the flight to OSL. It may take some time (hours?) for the bags to appear at the luggage belts at ZRH so you need to factor in several hours for this "self-transfer".
dodgeflyer likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 4:53 am

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by olm022
Perhaps it will be useful for other FTs.

I had an itinerary ZRH-CDG//CDG-ZRH-BKK on two different PNRs, with ZRH-CDG-ZRH being on the same aircraft as back to back and ZRH-BKK being in F.

In ZRH check in agents in HON/F section refused to check my luggage for ZRH-BKK flight only. Nor was it possible to check it as: CDG-ZRH-BKK. Agents said that they are not allowed to short check unless the first segment has been flown and they are not allowed to check luggage on two separate PNRs even if both are LX itineraries. They called DS manager to confirmed and refused to allow.

Most probably, this rule has been for a while, as the agent said that she had known it for 2 years now. Admittedly, it was my first time doing this (and last one). On LH I could do many other different sort of things with the luggage.
I had a similar situation in January, flying ZRH-BEG // BEG-ZRH-XXX. I had absolutely no issues checking my bags in ZRH at the F counter, but you must do so during your transit in ZRH, not before your first flight. You will not be able to check the bag for ZRH-BKK before you board your ZRH-CDG flight (and hence, the CDG-ZRH). Also you will not be able to check your bag for ZRH-CDG-ZRH-BKK because (i) it would transit the same airport twice which is impossible and (ii) given it is a back-to-back flight in CDG it is likely impossible for the bag to be unloaded and reloaded on the same plane as the system is not designed with this use case.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 1:13 am

Programs: LH HON
I have a one night stop-over in ZRH arriving from DUS and will continue the next morning to JFK. There was never a problem to check the luggage to ZRH and the next day recheck the luggage to JFK. But this time I have two pieces of luggage to be checked-in: can I just check in one piece to ZRH and another one directly DUS-ZRH-JFK with the second leg the next day?
Old Feb 25, 2024, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by shipsmail
I have a one night stop-over in ZRH arriving from DUS and will continue the next morning to JFK. There was never a problem to check the luggage to ZRH and the next day recheck the luggage to JFK. But this time I have two pieces of luggage to be checked-in: can I just check in one piece to ZRH and another one directly DUS-ZRH-JFK with the second leg the next day?
Yes, no problem, done that myself several times, as long as the stopover is less than 24 hours

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.