Special meals on Swiss (LX)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2010, 9:49 am
Raf
Original Poster

Programs: M@M FT, Flying Blue, BA Exec. Club, CSA Plus
Post Special meals on Swiss (LX)

Hi Guys,

I'm flying in Y to GRU. Does it make a sense to pre-order special meal in terms of quantity/qauality (I prefer fish/lamb that is uncommon on standard meals and have 50 min. conn.time in ZRH- no way to grab something from any bar). From my experience with Swiss normal meals are poor quality usually.
Any other SPML reccomendations ?

Raf
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:04 pm
Raf
Original Poster

Programs: M@M FT, Flying Blue, BA Exec. Club, CSA Plus
Nobody flies in eco on this forum, I forgot .
I did. So some remarks about BLML on ZRH-GRU:
- dried chicken barest with wild rice and spinage for main course - edible
- carrots cuts instead of pure salad
- canned fruits instead of "cake" in standard meal
- minuscule cottage cheese pot replaces minuses ementaler

That's all the differerence compare to standard.

Swiss has dropped down their service on long-haul seriously, so it's reasonable to take your own food on board.

Regards from SCL,

Raf

Last edited by Raf; Apr 16, 2010 at 9:18 pm
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Vegetarian meals in J ZRH-ATH-ZRH

I found one post that describes ein richtiges Mittagessen for the 14:00 departure ZRH-ATH. What about the 10:50 departure? And will there be a vegetarian option? I called to request veg meals for USA-ZRH-ATH and for a different intra-European flight. They said "ok confirmed" for the first part, but that it's not possible for intra-european flights. It occurs to me now that I don't know if the agent actually booked a veg meal for the ZRH-ATH part, or just the USA-ZRH part. Anyone have experience with this? Is ZRH-ATH (1000 miles) considered long haul, so the standard intra-European meal rules don't apply?

ATH-ZRH is early in the morning, so I'm less concerned that there won't be enough veg food on the tray to make a breakfast.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: LXFF
pretty sure you can select this on the swiss web site.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:55 pm

It is impossible to select special meals online, at least for this reservation. The only meal-related information on the web page for this booking is "A la carte dining - A la carte dining is not available for this route."

But your post inspired me to look up the reservation on the Lufthansa website, and indeed it shows a veg meal request for both legs USA-ZRH-ATH. Oddly, it doesn't show for ATH-ZRH.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:00 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
ZRH-ATH is an European flight. According to swiss.com's special meals page:

"The service is available in any flight class on long haul flights, and in SWISS Business on selected European flights."

Unfortunately it's not clear which European flights offer the service. I suggest you contact LX's customer support by filling out an online form rather than phoning them.

https://www.swiss.com/ch/EN/customer...ng-reservation
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by snic
Oddly, it doesn't show for ATH-ZRH.
Meals ex ATH are catered from ATH, which might be the issue. The LH lounge in ATH is one of the very best LH lounges with super nice Staff, if you explain the situation to them sure they would check what is loaded & they would probably make you something up from the excellent lounge food offering if needs be.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:02 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
I'm pretty sure on european flights at least in J, one of the meal options (if there was a meal) provided is always vegetarian.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Nick Art
I'm pretty sure on european flights at least in J, one of the meal options (if there was a meal) provided is always vegetarian.
ZRH-ATH-ZRH is one of the longer Intra EU routes that does have a hot meal choice in J.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:55 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chris63

ZRH-ATH-ZRH is one of the longer Intra EU routes that does have a hot meal choice in J.
I would have assumed. But I have never flown ZRH-ATH, so I didn't know out of first hand.

But well, seems the OPs question is solved! One of the meal options provided will be vegetarian.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:39 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Nick Art
The exception being flights to/from GVA (except JFK) which are no longer eligible for any special meal option. The Swiss saveurs menu basically has very little for vegetarians/vegans/gluten free passengers. Seems to be a common complaint that LX doesn't really care about.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GVA
The exception being flights to/from GVA (except JFK) which are no longer eligible for any special meal option. The Swiss saveurs menu basically has very little for vegetarians/vegans/gluten free passengers. Seems to be a common complaint that LX doesn't really care about.
To quote LX management: But who cares about GVA anyway?

I do, actually, quite a lot, flying RAK-GVA often.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
ZRH-ATH is an European flight. According to swiss.com's special meals page:

"The service is available in any flight class on long haul flights, and in SWISS Business on selected European flights."

Unfortunately it's not clear which European flights offer the service. I suggest you contact LX's customer support by filling out an online form rather than phoning them.

https://www.swiss.com/ch/EN/customer...ng-reservation
Thanks for the advice. I wrote to them, and their first response was that because this flight is intra-Europe, only snacks and beverages are served and therefore no special meals are available. When I responded that I was able to request a veg meal for my other booking (ZRH-ATH), they said OK, now you have a veg meal on all legs. I checked on lufthansa.com and sure enough it shows the meal request - but it also shows the meal request for a much shorter onward intra-european flight as well!

My suspicion is that special meals can be *requested* for any flight, but if there is no meal service, the request is ignored. I'm not terribly concerned about it, especially for ATH-ZRH early in the morning (and especially if the lounge breakfast is good and abundant, as someone suggested). But still it seems more confusing than it should be.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:21 pm

So, it turned out that a vegetarian special meal was provided on all legs: ZRH-ATH (~11 am departure), ATH-ZRH (6:30 am) and ZRH-WAW (mid afternoon), all in J. Clearly some agents have no idea what they are talking about when they tell you that special meals are not available because the flight is intra-Europe. (Maybe that's true for Y?) For future reference, the tricks are to (a) email LX rather than call, as NewbieRunner suggested, and do that a couple of times if the agent says special meals aren't available, and (b) verify the meal request on the LH website (as the meal request doesn't show up on the LX website).
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:19 pm

Special meal in biz class

I have (slight) lactose intolerance and am considering whether to book a lactose free meal for my trip from ZRH to United States in biz class. Did anyone know how that's compared with the regular meal? Is that good or bothersome?

I've heard that LH treats vegan option as the same as the non-lactose one --- not sure whether this applies to LX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.