Wiki Posts
Search

Exit Row OPO-GVA Forced to Check Bags

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2023, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Exit Row OPO-GVA Forced to Check Bags

I've only flown Swiss a few times, so wasn't aware if this was policy. Last week, my SO and I were flying LX2079 OPO-GVA and we had exit row seats. We had typical rollaboard and personal item each. I'm aware of policy outside the US where many airlines don't allow for underseat storage in the exit row. However, at boarding time, the gate agent demanded that we check our rollaboards. It was odd because we were early to board (*G) and the flight wasn't close to full. She stated because we were in the exit row, there was no room for bags and we must check. Of course, not wanting to argue and miss our flight, we gave them the bags. I was tempted to to ask for a seat assignment change out of the exit row, but figured that would be futile at that point.

Of course, once we boarded, we realized the flight wasn't full, there was plenty of overhead space, and everyone else had their rollaboards.

Is this normal Swiss policy? If so, seems a real bummer to fly the exit row. I've never encountered this on any other airline. In fact, some airlines actually reserve bin space over the exit rows just to accommodate the fact that exit row passengers have to put everything above the seat.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 2:33 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I've only flown Swiss a few times, so wasn't aware if this was policy. Last week, my SO and I were flying LX2079 OPO-GVA and we had exit row seats. We had typical rollaboard and personal item each. I'm aware of policy outside the US where many airlines don't allow for underseat storage in the exit row. However, at boarding time, the gate agent demanded that we check our rollaboards. It was odd because we were early to board (*G) and the flight wasn't close to full. She stated because we were in the exit row, there was no room for bags and we must check. Of course, not wanting to argue and miss our flight, we gave them the bags. I was tempted to to ask for a seat assignment change out of the exit row, but figured that would be futile at that point.

Of course, once we boarded, we realized the flight wasn't full, there was plenty of overhead space, and everyone else had their rollaboards.

Is this normal Swiss policy? If so, seems a real bummer to fly the exit row. I've never encountered this on any other airline. In fact, some airlines actually reserve bin space over the exit rows just to accommodate the fact that exit row passengers have to put everything above the seat.
Absolutely not normal policy, it has never happened to me & it is probably just an agent at an outstation making up her own rules under power of authority​​​​​. Write to Swiss to explain and complain, they should be made aware.
OskiBear, chris63, gojko88 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 1:46 am

No need to go to outstations to find that kind of power trip...

A few weeks ago, on a ZRH-BCN, I noticed that a couple sitting in (the half empty) business class had been forced to hand over their rollaboards before boarding started.
(Reason that was given: full flight. Maybe it was full in Y, but definitely not in C.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.