Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Departing BCN questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2023, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Departing BCN questions

Flying from Barcelona to Zurich with my family (young kids in tow). A couple questions for anyone familiar with BCN. We are in business class. I’m reading about workers on strike and delays checking in. Can anyone report on what it is like trying to check in as Business class (if
that even helps)? How is security? Do we get a priority line to enter security as business class and if so does it actually help much?

Also, what terminal will we leave from? It’s been several years since I flew into or out of Barcelona and I don’t remember too much. Is there likely to be a lounge we can use somewhat near our gate?

Thanks for any help. Trying to get in the know now and not when I have 3 young kids to tend to at the airport.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 12:51 am

LX uses terminal 1.
Check in for Business is in the same area as the others (but separate desks of course). LH, LX, SN etc. all together there.
There is a separate priority security entrance, to the left of the main security lanes.

The lounge you'll use is the "Sala VIP Pau Casals". (After security go downstairs like everyone, turn right, then keep walking until you reach the escalators going up to the lounge.)

No idea about strikes or delays. (Is that recent information?) On a slow day it takes me 15 minutes from taxi to lounge.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Koby
LX uses terminal 1.
Check in for Business is in the same area as the others (but separate desks of course). LH, LX, SN etc. all together there.
There is a separate priority security entrance, to the left of the main security lanes.

The lounge you'll use is the "Sala VIP Pau Casals". (After security go downstairs like everyone, turn right, then keep walking until you reach the escalators going up to the lounge.)

No idea about strikes or delays. (Is that recent information?) On a slow day it takes me 15 minutes from taxi to lounge.

I read about it in a different forum. Not sure but I believe this is from February to April. No idea the impact and the other forum was likely just speculating without any firsthand knowledge, which is why I’m asking here to get accurate info.

Really appreciate reading your personal experience on this. This is very helpful to thank you very much. Hoping we have a similar timeframe and have a little time to go to the lounge for a light breakfast snack (I assume they have food and beverage in the lounge). Not sure what food we will have (if any) on a business class on a less than 2 hour mid morning flight from BCN to Zurich.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Topnole1
Not sure what food we will have (if any) on a business class on a less than 2 hour mid morning flight from BCN to Zurich.
You'll get a light breakfast: croissant, bread roll, some cheese and charcuterie, some yoghurt and/or fruit. (I’m not sure anymore now what exactly it is on LX and what on LH… I use both.)

But you can already have breakfast in the lounge as well. Plenty to choose from, as long as you are not looking for an eggs and bacon style breakfast.
Topnole1 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 10:12 am

I lived in Barcelona from 2011 to 2015. I can't believe it has been so long ago .. I still travel there - from NYC - on business and as private at least 3-4 time per year.

Barcelona is very easy and child/family friendly airport. Very quiet (especially when you arrive straight from JFK/EWR)

Apart from Fast Track line, which is currently located to the LEFT of the main security check area, there is also dedicated FAMILY security-check area, which is located to the RIGHT of the security area. I do not know the requirements for family, but in general when you have an infant and a gate-check stroller in tow you can go through family area. The family area is located in a separate section of the airport, it's not just a dedicated line in the same mass area, but totally separate, actually together with crew and with access for passenger with disabilities. . After checking you will need to turn right and go to the corridor that leads to land-side food halls, and then the entrance is on the left as food-hall is on the right. The check-in staff can direct you. Here is a link to airport map: https://www.aena.es/en/josep-tarrade...ty-access.html Look for "preferential access for families." The main reason to go through the families line is that the X-ray machine are over-sized and specifically positioned on the ground so you do not need to lift the stroller, etc.

The airport is very spacious and quiet. There are also two outside areas on the air-side If you want your kids to get tired and run around in the open air. it's big enough and spacious, unfortunately that is also where smokers hang out.

Usually the mid-day / afternoon LH/LX flight depart from the C gates (C70-72) which is around 5 minutes walk from the business lounge area. However the morning flights arrive & depart from various B gates. In order to reach the B gates you kind of have to go in a circle around the shopping and dinning areas. If you gate number is in the lower 20's that means the walk time is at least 5-7 minutes. However if you have gate is in B- 30 + please count on at least 10, or even 15 minutes, if you are walking with a toddler. Here is a trick: when you descent the escalators or elevators, look straight and you will see the generic duty-free store, to the left there are two stores: NATURA and FCG - Barcelona Football Club branded store - you can go/run though those stores and take a short-cut to the B gates.

p.s. if you are ex-EU and have VAT refunds the VAT claim is mostly automated with a lot of self scanning machines, but it gets crowded in the mornings, due to stacked departures to the US, Middle-East and Asia. If you have a lot VAT forms, assume that at least few of them will need to be manfully stamped and the queue can be at least half hour long. My other advise is to always select refund to a credit card. If you want refund in cash count on another 15-20 minutes queue air-side at the refund/exchange booth.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 6, 2023, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LukasNied
I lived in Barcelona from 2011 to 2015. I can't believe it has been so long ago .. I still travel there - from NYC - on business and as private at least 3-4 time per year.

Barcelona is very easy and child/family friendly airport. Very quiet (especially when you arrive straight from JFK/EWR)

Apart from Fast Track line, which is currently located to the LEFT of the main security check area, there is also dedicated FAMILY security-check area, which is located to the RIGHT of the security area. I do not know the requirements for family, but in general when you have an infant and a gate-check stroller in tow you can go through family area. The family area is located in a separate section of the airport, it's not just a dedicated line in the same mass area, but totally separate, actually together with crew and with access for passenger with disabilities. . After checking you will need to turn right and go to the corridor that leads to land-side food halls, and then the entrance is on the left as food-hall is on the right. Look for "preferential access for families." The main reason to go through the families line is that the X-ray machine are over-sized and specifically positioned on the ground so you do not need to lift the stroller, etc.

The airport is very spacious and quiet. There are also two outside areas on the air-side If you want your kids to get tired and run around in the open air. it's big enough and spacious, unfortunately that is also where smokers hang out.

Usually the mid-day / afternoon LH/LX flight depart from the C gates (C70-72) which is around 5 minutes walk from the business lounge area. However the morning flights arrive & depart from various B gates. In order to reach the B gates you kind of have to go in a circle around the shopping and dinning areas. If you gate number is in the lower 20's that means the walk time is at least 5-7 minutes. However if you have gate is in B- 30 + please count on at least 10, or even 15 minutes, if you are walking with a toddler. Here is a trick: when you descent the escalators or elevators, look straight and you will see the generic duty-free store, to the left there are two stores: NATURA and FCG - Barcelona Football Club branded store - you can go/run though those stores and take a short-cut to the B gates.

p.s. if you are ex-EU and have VAT refunds the VAT claim is mostly automated with a lot of self scanning machines, but it gets crowded in the mornings, due to stacked departures to the US, Middle-East and Asia. If you have a lot VAT forms, assume that at least few of them will need to be manfully stamped and the queue can be at least half hour long. My other advise is to always select refund to a credit card. If you want refund in cash count on another 15-20 minutes queue air-side at the refund/exchange booth.

Enjoy!
Thanks so much for all the detail. I will certainly reference all of your guidance as we go through it. We are US, but very thoughtful to include info on VAT. We won’t have a need for that, but much appreciated.

Our flight time is about 9:50 so more like
mid to late morning. Will definitely look to see if outdoor area makes sense for burning some energy. You definitely have a good feel for kids btw! I assume I know why.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by LukasNied
Here is a trick: when you descent the escalators or elevators, look straight and you will see the generic duty-free store, to the left there are two stores: NATURA and FCG - Barcelona Football Club branded store - you can go/run though those stores and take a short-cut to the B gates.
Useful information if you go straight to the gates after security.
But if you come from the lounge, then you are already halfway around that “circle around the shopping and dining areas” and you can simply follow the signs to the B gates.
Topnole1 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:28 pm

Programs: LX HON Circle
I am regularly in BCN. Last time last week and no strikes whatsoever. It's all super smooth and easy.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
I am regularly in BCN. Last time last week and no strikes whatsoever. It's all super smooth and easy.
Great to here this. Thanks for chiming in. I have to say I read more than a few comments elsewhere about how long it can be to check in at BCN and then another post about potential delays due to strike (that was seemingly all speculation). I have to assume the longer process was for folks flying back to the US.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 6:00 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
One thing about priority security in Spain is that I have had 0% success in bringing any other people with me through based on my status. i.e. Spouse / business colleague / child. In more than 10 visits 100% of the time - - -any other person on my booking has been forced to the normal line. I have not experienced this in any other airport in the world.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 6:01 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Interesting, I've had the same experience in most airports that aren't a *A hub...
Old Mar 30, 2023, 1:37 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Star Alliance Gold track rules

Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
One thing about priority security in Spain is that I have had 0% success in bringing any other people with me through based on my status. i.e. Spouse / business colleague / child. In more than 10 visits 100% of the time - - -any other person on my booking has been forced to the normal line. I have not experienced this in any other airport in the world.
https://www.staralliance.com/en/gold-track# quite clear, no companion allowed and this may be due to the service being actually sold for money at many airports.

And yes, BCN actually has a *alliance gold track.

I believe being more restrictive increases the travel experience of status holders and trust this will soon also apply to lounges. LH still allows a whole kindergarten into lounges with only ONE status holder.
Koby likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 2:22 pm

Programs: LX HON Circle
Originally Posted by behuman
LH still allows a whole kindergarten into lounges with only ONE status holder.
what do you mean?
I find it nice that that LH let us SEN/HON enter a lounge with our family members.
Most of the time I travel alone with zero guests so if I can bring my wife AND the kids to the lounge on a rare family trip that is definitely appreciated.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Just a follow up from me the OP.

The line to check in was pretty crowded for business class. Only one counter and many businesses class/or status people in line. Probably waited 15 minutes just to check in. Self check in probably would’ve been faster but we had questions due to a stroller and baby hiking backpack. Not horrible,
but way less desirable than I was expecting as it was butt up against coach checkin and first class and it felt overly crowded. So that part I would rate highly. We did family security which was a really a nice experience. Fast and so family friendly. So no real benefit for being business class as that was available regardless. The lounge was very nice and we were happy to be able to use it and get some coffee and food and drinks for the kids before the flight. All told, I think we got a solid deal on our business class seats to Zürich and I’m happy we flew that way. Thanks to all of you that provided information. I took it all in and it helped.

As an add on, we later flew from Zurich back to the US on Edelweiss (coach). Security took forever in Zürich for coach with some people trying to cut line and the Zürich airport worker even getting physical with them, but those cutting persisted and in the end the simply got to cut a massive line in front of many with crying babies and young kids. Pretty despicable behavior. We certainly wish Zürich has a more family friendly system like Barcelona or had a better way to not make folks wait an hour just to go through security.

Passport control was very busy, but still pretty fast. So that part was good. Our 10.5 hour flight was delayed by over 4 hours so that part wasn’t great. But we finally got boarded and the flight itself was great and the service was also very good. I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to fly Edelweiss again. I booked an empty seat next to me and it was totally worth it. My wife sat with our 2 year old and my 5 and 7 year old sat in the row between us (so they would kick my seat and not a strangers). Even though she is my own daughter, she was wearing me down because of the entertainment screen on the headrest. They are great, but kids are gonna play with them a lot. Glad I didn’t put that annoyance on someone else and I’ll be mindful of that seating arrangement in the future.

Again, thanks for the advice.
Koby likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.