Search

Newbie Question LX cash upgrade C -> F questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2023, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: LX SEN
LX cash upgrade C -> F questions

Dear Flyertalkers,

I haven't flown long haul in a long time, but I am due to fly ZRH-NRT in a month. I am booked in Business (P) and have an offer for a cash upgrade to First on swiss.com for $1500. I have two questions and would appreciate your feedback:
  1. To me $1500 for ZRH-NRT seems a fair price. What do you think? There were few data points in Swiss Upgrade bargain thread or Longhaul cash upgrade thread but maybe i used the wrong keywords when searching for information.
  2. I did not find find sufficient information regarding miles accrual with Miles & More on swiss.com or miles-and-more.com. If I do the cash upgrade, will I accrue status and award miles according to the First ticket or the Business (P) ticket?
Thank you very much for your replies in advance.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 2:59 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Arrhok
To me $1500 for ZRH-NRT seems a fair price. What do you think? There were few data points in Swiss Upgrade bargain thread or Longhaul cash upgrade thread but maybe i used the wrong keywords when searching for information.
This is entirely subjective. I would never in my life pay the equivalent of a week's vacation at a great seaside hotel for an upgrade on a 12-hour flight, especially if I already have a lie-flat seat. Others will say that, considering the ticket prices in F these days, $1500 might be worthwhile

Originally Posted by Arrhok
If I do the cash upgrade, will I accrue status and award miles according to the First ticket or the Business (P) ticket?Thank you very much for your replies in advance.
If you go for the fixed price upgrade now (i.e. not at check-in or at the gate), all earnings will be according to the fare class for First class.
Arrhok and Fyfan like this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LX SEN
Dear gojko88,

Thank you very much for your reply. I agree with you regarding the subjectiveness of the upgrade. I am a bit reluctant spending the $1.5k but since you confirmed that I will accrue miles according to the first class that might make me the difference in requalifying for LH*G status with my current travel plans for the rest of the year
gojko88 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 5:34 am

Are you flying ex-ZRH or another European hub? If the latter, it might be better for you to call CCC and upgrade whichever half of your trip is impacted.

For instance, I have a BUD-SCL fare booked in A on the outbound and P on the inbound. The fixed price upgrade from P to A through the app would cost me 1400CHF. However, calling in and bumping the EZE-FRA leg to A and the remaining FRA-BUD to J would make the entire SCL-BUD half fare go from P to A fare, and the price difference there is 800 CHF. So not only you save money, but you also get more points on the P->J “upgraded” fare.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:53 pm

Considering the length of Europe <-> Asia flights these days (Russia airspace closure), I could perfectly envision paying that price for an upgrade to First.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by benji2227
Considering the length of Europe <-> Asia flights these days (Russia airspace closure), I could perfectly envision paying that price for an upgrade to First.
Yes, given First Class ticket prices currently it’s a very reasonable offer
Parterre likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 11:31 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
lot's of information here, too: SWISS Upgrade Bargain (Bid or email invite to upgrade) - FlyerTalk Forums
Old Feb 6, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: LXFF
1500$ seems reasonable to me. Its a long flight. Cash upgrade for the ZRH-YUL two weeks ago was 2k CHF or 1.5k CAD for the YUL-ZRH, both much shorter flights.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Is swiss still offering airport cash upgrades from business class partner award tickets to first class for medium hall transatlantic Boston to Zürich for $1000?

Can these be purchased on the phone on the day of departure or do you have to go to the airport… Maybe run out early and then come home and then pack and then go back?
Old Aug 14, 2023, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nologic
Is swiss still offering airport cash upgrades from business class partner award tickets to first class for medium hall transatlantic Boston to Zürich for $1000?

Can these be purchased on the phone on the day of departure or do you have to go to the airport… Maybe run out early and then come home and then pack and then go back?
Yes, if there is space left in F, on the day at the airport check in desk, after all the upgrade bids have been considered and any Evoucher waitlists.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by chris63
Yes, if there is space left in F, on the day at the airport check in desk, after all the upgrade bids have been considered and any Evoucher waitlists.
I don’t understand how you’re describing the airport experience… If I see online tgat seats are available five hours before a flight and go to the airport and checkin at the ticket counter, and I buy my upgrades… And then return later, and check in our bags two hours before the flight and travel normally from there?
Old Aug 14, 2023, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don’t understand how you’re describing the airport experience… If I see online tgat seats are available five hours before a flight and go to the airport and checkin at the ticket counter, and I buy my upgrades… And then return later, and check in our bags two hours before the flight and travel normally from there?
Cash upgrades are dealt with at the discretion of the flight manager once checkin opens at the airport, evouchers sometimes only clear once checkin closes, so seeing seats means nothing
Old Aug 15, 2023, 12:16 pm

Would I Be Able to Do This?

LX has two flights from BOS-ZRH: 5:10PM and 9:50PM.

The checkin counter for the earlier flight probably opens up around 2PM.

Would I be able to go to the airport at 2pm, take both passports and buy two upgrades for the 9:50pm flight, then come back to the airport and check in/check bags for that flight later that day, circa 7:30/8:00pm? The flight has 5 first class seats available.

Is there any way to purchase these upgrades for $100 over the phone?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:11 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
LX has two flights from BOS-ZRH: 5:10PM and 9:50PM.

The checkin counter for the earlier flight probably opens up around 2PM.

Would I be able to go to the airport at 2pm, take both passports and buy two upgrades for the 9:50pm flight, then come back to the airport and check in/check bags for that flight later that day, circa 7:30/8:00pm? The flight has 5 first class seats available.

Is there any way to purchase these upgrades for $100 over the phone?
I can tell you that you will definitely not be able to purchase upgrades to F at that price. Neither on the phone nor at the airport.
chris63 and athome like this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:39 pm

Programs: LXFF
You can only get a great deal last minute. I would check in an hour before the flight and hope there are available upgrades. Available seats do not equal available upgrades and 1000$ is a "deal" its ofthen more expensive. And that's becuase its the shorter night flight, the return owuld be much more expensive in my experience.
chris63 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.