Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie Question Edelweiss Business Seat Question

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2022, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum
Edelweiss Business Seat Question

I did a search and could not find a recent response. Do all WK A340 long haul planes have the 1-2-1 or 2-2-1 (or vice/versa) seat configuration in business class? I am looking at a DEN-ZRH flight and the seat map appears this way. However, going to WK's website they show a general seatmap (I think is outdated) of 8 seats across (ugh). I believe I know the answer is yes, all long haul A340's have the better seat configuration, but I wanted to check with those more experienced with WK. Thank you for the help.
Old May 7, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RockyMntFlyer
Do all WK A340 long haul planes have the 1-2-1 or 2-2-1 (or vice/versa) seat configuration in business class? I am looking at a DEN-ZRH flight and the seat map appears this way. However, going to WK's website they show a general seatmap (I think is outdated) of 8 seats across (ugh).
Yes, they alternate 1-2-1 and 2-2-1 on the A340.
No, they do not show 8 seats across online, or anything outdated as you say. You are simply looking at rows 1 through 10, and assuming it's business class, when in fact those are the Economy Max seats. Their business class cabin is from row 11 through row 17.

Regards,
bawm
Old May 7, 2022, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum
Originally Posted by bawm
Yes, they alternate 1-2-1 and 2-2-1 on the A340.
No, they do not show 8 seats across online, or anything outdated as you say. You are simply looking at rows 1 through 10, and assuming it's business class, when in fact those are the Economy Max seats. Their business class cabin is from row 11 through row 17.

Regards,
bawm
Thanks so much. Very newbie error. All I needed to do was scroll down to see that business class is behind economy max. Interesting configuration. I appreciate the information.
bawm likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 2:30 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by RockyMntFlyer
Thanks so much. Very newbie. All I needed to do was scroll down to see that business class is behind economy max. Interesting configuration. I appreciate the information.
it used to be that C was in front, then Eco Max and Eco. However, the staff always had issues with passengers moving to the Max seats in flight, in spite of the curtain separating from Eco. The seats are the same as Eco, but more pitch.
that was a prime reason for swaping C and EcoMax.
cfischer likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 11:22 am

Really? Aren't these just old Swiss airplanes where they replaced F with EcoMax and left the remaining configuration unchanged?
Old May 8, 2022, 2:04 pm
formerly a193991

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by aflo
Really? Aren't these just old Swiss airplanes where they replaced F with EcoMax and left the remaining configuration unchanged?
nope, config was changed. Flew myself on the Eco Max about 6 years ago and found it annoying that the Eco Pax kept coming front.
Old May 9, 2022, 12:26 am

I think you first flew with A330, which had business in front and later with A340, which has ecomax in front instead of F and the front J part (aka Stübli).
Old May 9, 2022, 5:01 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by 59Impala
it used to be that C was in front, then Eco Max and Eco. However, the staff always had issues with passengers moving to the Max seats in flight, in spite of the curtain separating from Eco. The seats are the same as Eco, but more pitch.
that was a prime reason for swaping C and EcoMax.
That is not quite correct.

Closer to what happened, but all the seats were actually completely replaced with new ones.

Originally Posted by 59Impala
nope, config was changed. Flew myself on the Eco Max about 6 years ago and found it annoying that the Eco Pax kept coming front.
You flew on an A330, not on the A340. The A340 with EDW only ever had the configuration it has today. (Unless you count the LX configuration they flew with for a bit right after taking over the A340s from LX)

I think you first flew with A330, which had business in front and later with A340, which has ecomax in front instead of F and the front J part (aka Stübli).
+1

The reason for the very odd configuration can be found with exit door regulations. The A340s were taken over from Swiss which had a very premium heavy configuration, between Doors 2 and 3 you have the big Business section and a small Economy section, so for door 3 Swiss only required the small door,, which is why the planes were delivered that way by Airbus, however, when Edelweiss took over the A340s, they removed F and shrunk C, so in a normal C, Y+, Y config there would have been only Y+ and Y between doors 2 and 3 and because door 3 was the small one there would have been too many seats over the wing and the evacuation times could not be met. That is why C is in the middle again and Y+ is in the front.
airoli likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 8:32 am
formerly a193991

Originally Posted by Nick Art
T
You flew on an A330, not on the A340. The A340 with EDW only ever had the configuration it has today. (Unless you count the LX configuration they flew with for a bit right after taking over the A340s from LX)
Yes that is correct, it was the A330. I did not realize, that the OP was talking of the A340.
Thanks for the corrective and informative answer.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Plat
I just flew the LX A340 and then the WK A340 in C. LX slightly better in terms of quality of entertainment screen, snacks during flight, and menu. But I was pleasantly surprised at the seat comfort in both, both in the upright and in the sleep position. Blanket on WK was nicer, as was the pillow. The C cabin being mid plain on WK did not seem to make the trip noisier. The galley and labs are at the front of the C cabin so if you want less FA and other foot traffic sit near the rear of the cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.