Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stolen items from checked luggage LX180 - today

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:10 am
Original Poster

I posted a long explanatory reply but it is awaiting moderators approval. I think it touches on a host of the issues brought up since my original post. Hopefully it will be active soon. There is some context to add I realized.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Wait what? Okay maybe it is too long or something. Here goes again. Hopefully this doesn't post twice.
---
Okay thanks everyone for the advise, and lol… also the fake posting accusations. The best one was the "this has never happened to me so clearly it couldn’t not happen to anyone else, ever”. That is pretty weak logic really.

And the first-post thing I can understand that idea to an extent but I’ve never had any major concerns, nor any salient or particularly valuable points to contribute to these forums until yesterday, so I disagree that first time posters should be considered suspect for that reason. Most people here have a lot more experience and familiarity with airline/hotel goings-ons than I do.

Let me just address a few points for clarity.- The logic of bringing valuables -- and I doubt I’d classify them as true valuables as I had money, watches, expensive shoes and clothing and a host of other items split between my carry-ons and two other checked bags – was that the alternative was sending by boat and I insured that shipment for 40k and most of any real valuables are uninsurable.

- I made a report the moment I picked-up the half empty bag from the carousel. I have pics of the bag alongside the other two checked bags which were completely full, the contents of that bag laid out including the damaged item thanks to there being no packing fodder after it was “pilfered <- Swiss Air’s word for what occurred”. I have pictures of the report from Suvarnabhumi airport, and also my inventory list of missing items from on the spot in the baggage area, and with a couple additions and deletions from when I was able to unpack all bags and survey all of my belongings.

- The zipper was not malfunctioning in anyway. Everything is Briggs & Riley Baseline luggage, but I was only explaining how full the large duffle bag was when I packed it, vs when I collected it.

- I have US cards that I could have used for insurance but since it was a swiss flight and since nearly all was flexible due to the situation with only one flight of 10.5 hours Zurich to Bangkok direct, I was trying to avoid exchange fees. Also, as a non-US resident, most of those cards would not have paid any claim since international residents are not covered. Swiss cards are notoriously useless for these sorts of insurances and since I technically revoked my residency in CH an hour prior to boarding, they would also have not paid a claim most likely.

- Some items in here were relatively “large” portable speakers or similar type stuff. What I mean is that none were home audio system sized, but the largest of the portable varieties. Look up the Bang and Olufsen M5 for an example. Would have taken way too much of my 2x8kg carry-ons weight and space. Similarly with charging batteries, apple tv boxes and the like. Too heavy or large to warrant space in my carry-ons, but more valuable that I would like to send via container shipping.

- And finally, I’ve travelled for 20 years almost non-stop on my 6th long form passport. The last 5-6 years only in business. Since nothing of this sort has ever happened, clearly I became overly complacent about security. It is a mistake but I’d like to do all I can to minimize the damage. I’m not looking for a payout for any lapses of judgment I made but rather just to hold Swiss accountable for what they describe as “their responsibility”.

So on to next steps.
1. I received a call yesterday to discuss details with a Swiss rep here in Bangkok. They sent a link to Swiss’s baggage report system. Essentially it breaks down to lost or damaged luggage which in my case is not exactly accurate. My claim is “lost/stolen and/or damaged items from within a piece of luggage”. The luggage looks brand new still.
Thanks very much @BinSabai for the helpful suggestions of what next.
2. I have an extended family member here who will initiate a local police report today on my behalf but it may only be finalized in person once I’m out of quarantine.
3. I slept all day yesterday against my best efforts so I’ll be in touch with Swiss-Zurich/CH later today when their main offices open.

I think that fundamentally for me this is such a breach of confidence in a system that I have grown to trust so well. As some have mentioned, it has never happened to most people and I’m glad for that fact. But all airlines must have had countless reports of local theft by airline staff, or by ill-supervised areas of their luggage delivery systems. I’d like to think that in the rare cases that this occurs that they might step up and be specifically helpful in laying out options or helping resolve things to a reasonable degree. If not only to keep their brand in good standing and customer trust high for such a critical part of their service.

So again, I’d appreciate hearing any more similar stories from people who experienced this on any airlines, or any suggestions that haven’t been covered. Most importantly what recourses were taken in favor of the customer or airline. Or any further advice on any additional steps I should consider assuming I’ve done everything by the book so far. I’m open to any ideas to be honest.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Wait what? Okay maybe it is too long or something. Here goes again. Hopefully this doesn't post twice.
---
Okay thanks everyone for the advise, and lol… also the fake posting accusations. The best one was the "this has never happened to me so clearly it couldn’t not happen to anyone else, ever”. That is pretty weak logic really.

And the first-post thing I can understand that idea to an extent but I’ve never had any major concerns, nor any salient or particularly valuable points to contribute to these forums until yesterday, so I disagree that first time posters should be considered suspect for that reason. Most people here have a lot more experience and familiarity with airline/hotel goings-ons than I do.

Let me just address a few points for clarity.- The logic of bringing valuables -- and I doubt I’d classify them as true valuables as I had money, watches, expensive shoes and clothing and a host of other items split between my carry-ons and two other checked bags – was that the alternative was sending by boat and I insured that shipment for 40k and most of any real valuables are uninsurable.

- I made a report the moment I picked-up the half empty bag from the carousel. I have pics of the bag alongside the other two checked bags which were completely full, the contents of that bag laid out including the damaged item thanks to there being no packing fodder after it was “pilfered <- Swiss Air’s word for what occurred”. I have pictures of the report from Suvarnabhumi airport, and also my inventory list of missing items from on the spot in the baggage area, and with a couple additions and deletions from when I was able to unpack all bags and survey all of my belongings.

- The zipper was not malfunctioning in anyway. Everything is Briggs & Riley Baseline luggage, but I was only explaining how full the large duffle bag was when I packed it, vs when I collected it.

- I have US cards that I could have used for insurance but since it was a swiss flight and since nearly all was flexible due to the situation with only one flight of 10.5 hours Zurich to Bangkok direct, I was trying to avoid exchange fees. Also, as a non-US resident, most of those cards would not have paid any claim since international residents are not covered. Swiss cards are notoriously useless for these sorts of insurances and since I technically revoked my residency in CH an hour prior to boarding, they would also have not paid a claim most likely.

- Some items in here were relatively “large” portable speakers or similar type stuff. What I mean is that none were home audio system sized, but the largest of the portable varieties. Look up the Bang and Olufsen M5 for an example. Would have taken way too much of my 2x8kg carry-ons weight and space. Similarly with charging batteries, apple tv boxes and the like. Too heavy or large to warrant space in my carry-ons, but more valuable that I would like to send via container shipping.

- And finally, I’ve travelled for 20 years almost non-stop on my 6th long form passport. The last 5-6 years only in business. Since nothing of this sort has ever happened, clearly I became overly complacent about security. It is a mistake but I’d like to do all I can to minimize the damage. I’m not looking for a payout for any lapses of judgment I made but rather just to hold Swiss accountable for what they describe as “their responsibility”.

So on to next steps.
1. I received a call yesterday to discuss details with a Swiss rep here in Bangkok. They sent a link to Swiss’s baggage report system. Essentially it breaks down to lost or damaged luggage which in my case is not exactly accurate. My claim is “lost/stolen and/or damaged items from within a piece of luggage”. The luggage looks brand new still.
Thanks very much @BinSabai for the helpful suggestions of what next.
2. I have an extended family member here who will initiate a local police report today on my behalf but it may only be finalized in person once I’m out of quarantine.
3. I slept all day yesterday against my best efforts so I’ll be in touch with Swiss-Zurich/CH later today when their main offices open.

I think that fundamentally for me this is such a breach of confidence in a system that I have grown to trust so well. As some have mentioned, it has never happened to most people and I’m glad for that fact. But all airlines must have had countless reports of local theft by airline staff, or by ill-supervised areas of their luggage delivery systems. I’d like to think that in the rare cases that this occurs that they might step up and be specifically helpful in laying out options or helping resolve things to a reasonable degree. If not only to keep their brand in good standing and customer trust high for such a critical part of their service.

So again, I’d appreciate hearing any more similar stories from people who experienced this on any airlines, or any suggestions that haven’t been covered. Most importantly what recourses were taken in favor of the customer or airline. Or any further advice on any additional steps I should consider assuming I’ve done everything by the book so far. I’m open to any ideas to be honest.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 3:24 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What useful advice is there to give with no travel insurance and no airport report? Maybe check with the home insurance policy.
he made a report at the airport in the baggage claim area
djjaguar64 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 3:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BinSabai
Yes I see that now. Home insurance? Probably does not have that anymore
Old Jun 3, 2021, 3:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes I see that now. Home insurance? Probably does not have that anymore. Probably an issue for Swiss but they will limit payout. Sorry to hear of the troubles.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
Agteed, but first offer the OP advice, thats the purpose of this thread, after that feel free to add advice. Rather reducfdant aafer OP's experience !
From the OP’s first post I didn’t see any
Old Jun 3, 2021, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Bud_Edwards
Missing are: 2 x speakers (B&O), 2 x Apple TV, ipod touch, 3 charging blocks, 10-12 cables and adapters, in-ear wireless earphones, running gear (garmin watch, sunglasses, running clothes), food items (coffee, tea, bags of protein - packed around all, oatmeal?, vanilla sugar). Basically stuff I wanted to have in a 14 day quarantine. Also a bag of toiletries including electric toothbrush, 12 hair products, all hair clippers and dental items (white strips and custom retainers, etc) and finally a swiss army tool.
I was under the impression that nothing with a rechargeable battery should be in cargo hold, due to the fire risk. Having so many electronic devices in your bag is an open invitation to be searched by security, especially when some of the items may not be allowed and so many devices and cables would certainly look a bit suspicious in an x-ray. Not surprising that this would happen in BKK, given the lack of opportunities that the ground crew there has had in the last year from the reduction in flights. I imagine they took one look at your bag and felt that they hit the jackpot. Probably better to distribute your valuables a little more broadly next time, especially with three checked bags.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 9:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If the lithium ion batteries would have been an issue, security screening in ZRH would have taken care of it.

S..t happens, things get stolen. Airlines are insured against it. LX will ask the OP to provide a detailed list of items and ask for proof of purchase. Based on what accumulates via that route they will pay that or the kilo price. Op did the right thing to immediately report the loss on arrival, the incident report is worth its weight in gold.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: LXFF
I feel The OPs pain. I’ve also traveled many times with LX (100 or so long haul flights) and this has never happened to me so I understand being a little overconfident. normally I put all valuables in a carry on, but in such a situation (moving) I understand.

Also understand not wanting to take a double FX hit.

It’s easier from Canada as most credit cards have insurance for this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by downinit
Not surprising that this would happen in BKK, given the lack of opportunities that the ground crew there has had in the last year from the reduction in flights. I imagine they took one look at your bag and felt that they hit the jackpot. Probably better to distribute your valuables a little more broadly next time, especially with three checked bags.
such assumptions have a touch of bias...
the items could have been stolen in ZRH as well...or do they only employ trustworthy, well paid, loyal staff?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 11:13 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K/ One World Emerald
such assumptions have a touch of bias...
the items could have been stolen in ZRH as well...or do they only employ trustworthy, well paid, loyal staff?
We all know there is a very very high probability this went down in BKK. Its not because the Thai people aren't trustworthy or good people. It is simple economics and lack of opportunity not bias. The average entry level baggage employee in Zurich makes $20 USD an hour. In Bangkok they sometimes make just $10 an entire day. Poverty is a factor with theft.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 1:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
In ZRH the baggage is handled in an automated system where the only human contact is when the bag is lifted from a belt into the container which is loaded into the aircraft. That happens pretty late in the process, if someone wants to steal something from the bag at that stage the bag will not be loaded on the flight. If the automated security screening finds something the bag is opened, but that is supervised and any removal is documented and a protocol is left in the bag.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Sky Dreamer
Poverty is a factor with theft.
not at all
rich people can steal from the poor...
poor people, who find valuables, return it..

and it is pretty senseless to speculate as valuables could have been stolen at both airports...
Old Jun 4, 2021, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I'm curious to see that the video clip will show a Thai man opening his bag and taking out his valuables!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.