Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: Swiss refunds after cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Can you please slow down with your unsubstantiated claims of acquiring banks and refund withdrawals. I don’t believe we have any confirmation at all, and you speculation is really not helpful.
Can you do everyone a favour and slow down with your st**id comments and answers in this thread? Confirmation, really? What else do you need when Swiss silently removes the option to request a refund on their web site. For everyone with common sense this is enough. It is not your money that is at stake here so leave people alone.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wayfinder
Can you do everyone a favour and slow down with your st**id comments and answers in this thread? Confirmation, really? What else do you need when Swiss silently removes the option to request a refund on their web site. For everyone with common sense this is enough. It is not your money that is at stake here so leave people alone.
There is no confirmation that I have seen that LX has adopted a blanket policy of not refunding for cancelled flights. There is one statement from a travel agent, which I cannot even find in this thread, so possibly a single data point. There is also currently no process in place for creditor banks to take over LX.

As to the OP, yes, I agree he should get his money back. I have said so several times. If he is not having luck with LX in these extremely busy times, he should charge back on his credit card, which I believe he is doing/has done. But we don't need to escalate this to LX being taken over by Credit Suisse or similar nonsense.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:04 am

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by LondonElite
There is no confirmation that I have seen that LX has adopted a blanket policy of not refunding for cancelled flights. There is one statement from a travel agent, which I cannot even find in this thread, so possibly a single data point. There is also currently no process in place for creditor banks to take over LX.

As to the OP, yes, I agree he should get his money back. I have said so several times. If he is not having luck with LX in these extremely busy times, he should charge back on his credit card, which I believe he is doing/has done. But we don't need to escalate this to LX being taken over by Credit Suisse or similar nonsense.
There's very little difference between not offering refunds, and the refund service being not available for an indeterminate amount of time. See my communication with LX on twitter here. It's in French but you can use google translate.

Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
The translation is:

"We cannot confirm exactly when the refund service will be available".

In other words, the gloves are off.
mmff and hoipolloi like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: AC E75K
Just spoke with another Swiss agent and got the same response: "A refund is possible but we will not be able to start processing them until a later date. Maybe September. This is a directive we have received and there is nothing else I can do for you at this moment."

Also, without checking with me first, the agent proceeded to cancel my reservation, and I received an e-mail stating "Your booking has been cancelled as requested." I now have no evidence of any kind to show that Swiss cancelled 4 of the 6 legs on that booking first, because Swiss of course didn't send any kind of notification when those legs were first cancelled.

Absolutely horrendous.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
Please report back here once you have received that confirmation email, which confirms the full cash refund.
So far, no email from them. When I check online for the booking on the OS website, its gone. LX and LH also doesn't show it anymore. I see the message 'diese Buchung wurde storniert und kann nicht mehr angezeigt werden' which translates to 'this booking has been cancelled and can no longer be shown'
the conclusions I can draw from this is that
1) the agent did cancel the booking
2) question is, what about the refund? I don't want to start spending loads of time chasing them for a ticket they are legally obliged to refund, should I just wait for a few weeks and then check? or would it be prudent to have another agent just look into the PNR and confirm that steps have been taken to initiate the refund?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
So far, no email from them. When I check online for the booking on the OS website, its gone. LX and LH also doesn't show it anymore. I see the message 'diese Buchung wurde storniert und kann nicht mehr angezeigt werden' which translates to 'this booking has been cancelled and can no longer be shown'
the conclusions I can draw from this is that
1) the agent did cancel the booking
2) question is, what about the refund? I don't want to start spending loads of time chasing them for a ticket they are legally obliged to refund, should I just wait for a few weeks and then check? or would it be prudent to have another agent just look into the PNR and confirm that steps have been taken to initiate the refund?
Based on what you're describing, I think you've been subject to the same sneaky BS move Swiss just pulled on me:

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Just spoke with another Swiss agent and got the same response: "A refund is possible but we will not be able to start processing them until a later date. Maybe September. This is a directive we have received and there is nothing else I can do for you at this moment."

Also, without checking with me first, the agent proceeded to cancel my reservation, and I received an e-mail stating "Your booking has been cancelled as requested." I now have no evidence of any kind to show that Swiss cancelled 4 of the 6 legs on that booking first, because Swiss of course didn't send any kind of notification when those legs were first cancelled.

Absolutely horrendous.
Basically, the agents are happy to cancel a booking now, and you may even get a form cancellation e-mail like the one I received:

Dear SWISS Customer

Your booking has been cancelled as requested.

Tickets nos.:
724______________________

have been passed on for a possible* refund.

Best regards,
Swiss International Air Lines
* If the fare and Conditions of carriage entitle you to a refund, then the invoiced amount will be refunded to the original payment method.
AKA - there is no guarantee at all you will receive a refund. This is truly abhorrent on the part of LX.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I tweeted at lucky about this because I booked the companion sale fare from AMS - JNB in April for 2000EUR each, so a total of 4000EUR. I'm fully expecting my flight to be cancelled, and any rebooking will result in Swiss asking for at least another 2000EUR. I understand that (during normal times), they don't want people booking sale fares, and then moving to peak season without paying the fare difference. But these aren't normal times. I'm more than happy to move my flight dates forward if it comes at no cost. But if I can't do that, I want a refund so that I can spend my money on something else.
This is your right according to article 8c EC261/2004.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would stop worrying about the inner workings of LX and its commercial banking relationships. The simple fact is that if your flight is cancelled, you are entitled to a refund. If you request one and it is not forthcoming, you may use the chargeback process and you will have your refund from your card issuer (bank). How LX, its bank, and your bank sort this is not your concern. It is designed this way so that individual customers do not need to understand or become involved in the commercial banking system.

No need to make this harder than it is.
capedreamer, mmff and hoipolloi like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Can we all agree that the best way to get a refund is a chargeback, and the best way to pay for flight tickets is with a credit card?
capedreamer and mmff like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Can we all agree that the best way to get a refund is a chargeback, and the best way to pay for flight tickets is with a credit card?
Absolutely, always was & chargeback is so easy & can be very fast
capedreamer, mmff and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
I would stop worrying about the inner workings of LX and its commercial banking relationships. The simple fact is that if your flight is cancelled, you are entitled to a refund. If you request one and it is not forthcoming, you may use the chargeback process and you will have your refund from your card issuer (bank). How LX, its bank, and your bank sort this is not your concern. It is designed this way so that individual customers do not need to understand or become involved in the commercial banking system.

No need to make this harder than it is.
Well said!
capedreamer likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:04 pm

Programs: Etihad, Krisflyer, BA Executive Club
What a croc !

Airlines love to play the small print, don't allow you changes, don't care about your circumstances and when things go bad they go bleating to the governments for funds, only to immediately trouser the cash in bonuses instead of putting it away for the proverbial "rainy day".

So screw them. I'm due xx refunds and I want my compensation too.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:16 pm

Credit

If I have a ticket purchased through AMEX travel which is UA to ATH and LX back from LCA which airline would I get the credit for if I cancel due to COVID-19? None of these flights have been canceled by the airlines yet. Also, it is all on one ticket.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by George Abraham
If I have a ticket purchased through AMEX travel which is UA to ATH and LX back from LCA which airline would I get the credit for if I cancel due to COVID-19? None of these flights have been canceled by the airlines yet. Also, it is all on one ticket.
As you chose to book through a travel agent, you must deal with your travel agent. Your credits, if they are available, will come from UA and LX respectively and will be subject to any additional rules of your travel agent.

However, unless you are traveling in the next day, wait. It is almost a certainty that one or both of those flights will be cancelled. When that happens, you may cancel (with Amex Travel) for a full refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.