Covid19: Swiss refunds after cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:37 am

well summed up here...

https://onemileatatime.com/swiss-flight-refund/
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Originally Posted by olm022
LH cancelled my booking for 17April, so I liaised with a travel agency that issued a ticket with a request to issue the refund. And this is what I received:
\We are sorry that your flights will not depart as planned.

Lufthansa offers rebooking per below:
  • Cancel your order now and rebook your flight no later than 31aug 2020.
  • You may change city of departure as well as destination
  • New departure no later than 31 dec 2020.
When booking your new trip Lufthansa offers a EUR50 discount per passenger. We charge a handling fee of 200 kr per person.

Please confirm that you wish to cancel you order per above.

Requesting a refund is not an option at this point in time.

We will be able to request a refund if you do not use the value of your ticket by 31 aug 2020. We charge a handling fee of 200 kr per person

I responded that Article 5 of EC 261/2004 requires that a customer be refunded if a flight is cancelled. Let's see what they come up with an an excuse.
And the response:
Dear Customer

We are following the airline policy currently they have no refund on any booking even on canceled flights.

For more information about their policy we advise you to contact them directly.

For any further questions or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:00 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
I'm not sure why people are siding with Swiss on this.

Swiss offered to sell the passenger a service, took payment for the service and is now declaring force majeure on providing the service but is also not willing to return the payment. Swiss want the passnger's money for a year but don't want to provide any service in return.

Swiss is essentially trying to force the passenger to give them an interest free loan for a year. Maybe some people really like Swiss and so are happy to lend them money in difficult times - but there is no contractual (or IMO moral) reason why every person who booked travel with Swiss should be compelled to lend them money just because Swiss is going through difficult days.
lhrpete, Andriyko, ffsim and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
And its clear that Swiss will raise fares so that anyone with this garbage voucher has to basically buy a new ticket again.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:07 pm
Suspended

We are following the airline policy currently they have no refund on any booking even on canceled flights.
And I would reply: Please follow the law!

Naturally, that won't change anything.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:13 pm
Suspended

I work at a travel agency and the Lufthansa group has pulled our ability to refund in the GDS. So the excuse “we’re focusing on immediate customers right now” is completely wrong. Even a travel agent who isn’t busy and could process it still cannot. They are clearly holding cash, people need to get their credit card companies involved!
The acquirer banks of Swiss, Austrian, Eurowings, Brussels Airlines, and Lufthansa will most likely be forced to terminate the airline merchant accounts after the acquirer is being hit with thousands of (service not rendered) chargeback requests.
Essentially that would mean that the Lufthansa Group airlines cannot accept any new bookings paid by credit card. That would lead to a shutdown with no real option to reopen anytime soon.

Moreover, one can assume that Lufthansa Group has also disabled the refund feature with their IATA Clearing House account. That means other airlines won't be able to receive the funds for refunds.

Furthermore Lufthansa is alienating large corporate clients with that policy. They are usually special agreements in place between Lufthansa and large multinationals. If Lufthansa violates these agreements -> then good bye Swiss, good bye Lufthansa!

Last edited by warakorn; Mar 21, 2020 at 12:20 pm
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Any person who meets with one iota of resistance on a refund for a flight which has been cancelled by the airline needs to file a chargeback straight away. This is not the time for playing pat-a-cake.

It is often said on this forum that airlines are not charities. Well, that knife cuts both ways. You should feel no obligation - legal or moral - to donate money to them, or to provide them with unsecured, interest-free loans.

It is not selfish to want your money back for services you have not received.
lhrpete, justforfun, mmff and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: LH, BA, AA
SWISS will run out of excuses starting Monday when they only have 1 long haul flight out of ZRH (To EWR) and 9 short haul destinations; from GVA, I think only 3 short-haul destinations. I’d say go ahead and start chargeback and write to the mentioned authority and file a complaint. My experience in the past to claim EU compensation (I know this isn’t the issue, but somewhat draw relevance in terms of experience), I’d attempted 2-3 times to claim each they came back and claimed Switzerland isn’t EU therefore not subjected to the regulation. Then, I started to say I will file a complaint to authority, and one day I really did and send them a copy of the letter I wrote, they then processed the compensation claim. Lesson learnt from me : you need to be persistent and they need to know that you have taken some legal actions against them, then they move.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:39 pm

I have a question regarding the LH Group: I have an OS ticket GVA-VIE vv. which was cancelled for obvious reasons, I was then rebooked on LH/LX GVA-FRA-VIE, which was also cancelled...
Should I call LH and try to get a refund? or OS? At this point, since LH flights were also cancelled, I can call them right?
Which of these LH Group airlines is the least resistant when it comes to refunds?! Which airline (and which call center) has the best agents???

Thanks for any data points/info...!
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Which of these LH Group airlines is the least resistant when it comes to refunds?!
According to one source, the refund feature on the GDS has been disabled for all Lufthansa Group airlines. So technically it's not possible for any airline or travel agency to issue cash refunds.

There are two ways to receive a cash refund -> initiate a credit card chargeback or sue them!
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn
According to one source, the refund feature on the GDS has been disabled for all Lufthansa Group airlines. So technically it's not possible for any airline or travel agency to issue cash refunds.

There are two ways to receive a cash refund -> initiate a credit card chargeback or sue them!
...oh! Thanks for the info.
Is chargeback possible with a Swiss issued AMEX? (Credit Suisse)
have never done a chargeback...
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:45 pm
Suspended

I would try it. Reason: service not rendered and refund refused;
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:04 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
...oh! Thanks for the info.
In #46 using an AMEX from Canada has already received his refund.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:13 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by nrr
In #46 using an AMEX from Canada has already received his refund.
Well, it hasn't shown up on my card, but Amex's dispute centre is showing the claim as closed and indicating that my account will be credited. I don't know how long it takes Amex to move from that to the credit actually showing up, but I expect it won't be too long.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Mar 21, 2020 at 2:19 pm Reason: Corrected typo
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Just hope that Credit Suisse is not the acquirer for Swiss. That would complicate things, because Credit Suisse won't be too happy to handover its own capital to Swiss(air) passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.