Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pet in cabin [PETC] or Hold [AVIH] questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Pet in cabin [PETC] or Hold [AVIH] questions

I have a couple of questions about travelling with my cats in cabin on Swiss 77W Business Class

Firstly, does anyone know if there is a limit of one booking on SIN-ZRH 77W flight in Business Class? I've called a couple of times and the agent seems to think not and proceeds to add a second PETC, yet when they try to book it the system (I guess?) says it is full. But I'm not sure if this is because I already have a PETC and it doesn't want two unknown-to-eachother pets in the same cabin? Otherwise we can take two cats in the one bag, though we would be absolutely at 8kg and they wouldn't have as much space as I would like.

Secondly where does the pet go for takeoff/landing in J? Does Swiss allow items in the area under the seat in front? We have been told we have to sit in 17D/G.

Lastly, does anyone have any practical experience of flying with cats (or dogs) on Swiss - transit at Zurich etc. Very little about it online
Old Oct 16, 2019, 3:49 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by sammyg901
Lastly, does anyone have any practical experience of flying with cats (or dogs) on Swiss - transit at Zurich etc. Very little about it online
Yes I have two such experiences: Being allergic to cats, the animal and its owner were
- one time offloaded,
- another time seated all behind in Y. (both occurrences on SA airlines - wonder how LH group airlines would handle this))

I think it is unacceptable to bring animals in a cabin, if necessary for service animals there should be a designated space for this in the tail of the plane. Otherwise it is cargo, I understand that they are specialized in this and animals are treated well.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 3:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Two animals in one bag < 8KG is allowed. The PETC (and AVIH) details are here: https://www.swiss.com/corporate/agentnews/faq

The pet carrier bag has to go under the seat in front of you. Swiss C seats have a cubby for that.

Prerequisites for transport in the cabin
- Pet pack: your pet must be kept in a clean, escape-proof, scratch-proof, soft-sided pack. (length + width + height = max. 118 cm)
- The pet must be kept completely inside the pet pack (including head and tail) throughout the flight.
- The pet must have enough room in the pet pack. It may not move about freely on board.
- The pet pack must remain stowed under your seat throughout the flight.
- The pet and pet pack together must not weigh more than 8 kilos.
- Your pet must be clean and healthy, not be dangerous, not smell, not be pregnant and not be a nuisance to other passengers.
- A valid veterinarian’s certificate and export/import document are required.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
I was in Swiss F a few years ago, and the only other couple in the cabin had a dog which was allowed out of its pack for all the flight apart from landing and takeoff.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by Truffles
I was in Swiss F a few years ago, and the only other couple in the cabin had a dog which was allowed out of its pack for all the flight apart from landing and takeoff.
Taking the pet out of the carrier can get you off loaded in LX: Flying dogs?!
Another story on Dogs in F: Warning: Dog in F JNB-ZRH on 18/9

The former LX booking system showed which seats were designated for PETC: OMG What is PET CABIN?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

As much as one of my cats would love free roam of a plane, 100s of people to pet her and some nice salmon from the FA, they will absolutely be staying in the carrier!

Thanks oliver2002 for helpful advice !
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Emotional Support Form

Hello - I’m looking to book a semi-last minute flight to Europe from the US and have been desperately trying to reach Swiss in order to see what information they need in order to have my Emotional Support Animal fly with me.

They have somewhat vague instructions on their website, and it is unclear what forms they need.

United and AA both needed forms signed by a licensed professional which i can get quickly.. i just need to know what the forms are.

Ive been trying to call their US # but they are not answering.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: Free agent
Contact them via Twitter while on hold with the call center.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: M&M FTL (*Silver), KLM/AF blue
See
https://www.swiss.com/uk/en/prepare/...g-with-animals
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:24 am

Note that Swiss doesn't allow ESAs... all you can do is a PETC and the pet needs to stay in the carrier for the duration of the flight.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rvlcr
Hello - I’m looking to book a semi-last minute flight to Europe from the US and have been desperately trying to reach Swiss in order to see what information they need in order to have my Emotional Support Animal fly with me.

They have somewhat vague instructions on their website, and it is unclear what forms they need.

United and AA both needed forms signed by a licensed professional which i can get quickly.. i just need to know what the forms are.

Ive been trying to call their US # but they are not answering.

Any help would be much appreciated.
The website is very clear about how your pet can travel on the flight, either in the cabin or as cargo. If it meets the weight requirements, it may travel in the cabin but must remain in the container at all times.

https://www.swiss.com/de/EN/prepare/...g-with-animals
Old Mar 5, 2020, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
thanks everyone. i ended up booking with air france who were much more responsive.

i wanted to add some color to some of the above comments i saw... i do see on their website that they allow ESAs but airlines are very strict about the documentation they require. i don’t forse swiss being an exception. in all my time flying, i’ve gathered it’s not as simple as showing up at the airport with your doctor’s letter and hopping on the plane.

for example, air france needed us to fill out a form, send them a letter from our doctor, get a health certificate from a vet (signed and stamped) as well as a copy of my dog’s pet passport. all of this to just get approved.

none of this is listed on the swiss website... and my gut says this would have all been necessary.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:09 pm

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
That all depends on the country you're traveling to, not the airline. For example, if you're traveling within EU, you literally just need to book PETC along with your ticket, and show up at the airport with the carrier. I've carried pets on LX, and there's no "approval" process, you book your ticket, you book PETC, and then it's up to you to have the appropriate boarding documentation for the animals, just like you would for people traveling. Anyway, too late now
Old Mar 6, 2020, 2:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rvlcr
thanks everyone. i ended up booking with air france who were much more responsive.

i wanted to add some color to some of the above comments i saw... i do see on their website that they allow ESAs but airlines are very strict about the documentation they require. i don’t forse swiss being an exception. in all my time flying, i’ve gathered it’s not as simple as showing up at the airport with your doctor’s letter and hopping on the plane.

for example, air france needed us to fill out a form, send them a letter from our doctor, get a health certificate from a vet (signed and stamped) as well as a copy of my dog’s pet passport. all of this to just get approved.

none of this is listed on the swiss website... and my gut says this would have all been necessary.
I think the LX website is very clear, and since ESA situations are very rare, it makes sense to ask you to contact the service centre for specific requirements. Of course you can’t just show up at the gate with a note from the doctor, that would be inconsiderate to pretty much everyone else on the flight. What were you expecting to force Swiss to do?
Old Jun 28, 2020, 8:34 am

Hello, I was wondering whether anyone has recent experience with flying pets in-cabin with Swiss or Lufthansa. We are planning to fly with our cat to Switzerland. His weight in total with the carrier is 8 kg, so we're safe there. However, the soft carrier we have is slightly larger than the guidelines (about 30 cm/12in instead of 23 cm/9 in).

We are planning to book a seat with extra legroom, to have some space for him (don't know if it makes any difference in terms of the dimensions, probably not), but I'm worried they might not let us take him in this carrier.

How strict are they about the dimensions of the pet-carrier? Do they actually measure it? Can anyone share any recent experience with this?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.