Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LX finally abolishes OPC in Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I really reckon in my case it just added up to centimes. I only bought European flights ex Switzerland and they were really cheap. The intercontinental flights I bought starting elsewhere didn't have the OPC ... as far as I can remember. Doesn't matter, it's past now, as is the OPC.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:49 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by Concerto
I really reckon in my case it just added up to centimes. I only bought European flights ex Switzerland and they were really cheap. The intercontinental flights I bought starting elsewhere didn't have the OPC ... as far as I can remember. Doesn't matter, it's past now, as is the OPC.
TBH in my case I don't even want to start calculating.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But just to be clear, this OPC thing for charged for flights beginning in Switzerland on the Swiss version of the site, right? Not on other country sites? Still not totally sure about that one.
Maybe it's not too late to look at it with the credit card company. Might be worth calling up to talk to them about it. Again, the key is to land on the right person, or a supervisor.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: LH FTL, FB Gold
This OPC thing also applies to LH booking done from Switzerland on LH website ? I just booked a flight and was charged 5CHF OPC, can claim them back ?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Blimey, they're all onto this scam. Yeah, go on, claim it back. You know, this sort of thing makes me feel totally ok about exploiting the loopholes in FFPs and hopping on mistake fares when they come along (not that I usually do, they've normally disappeared by the time I can get my act together).
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
You can dispute any OPC charge - I do it for all airlines, but also for online TAs who sometimes charge extraordinary amounts (had once 23 CHF for 2 flights to Germany).

For UBS cards, you can look here:
https://www.ubs.com/ch/en/help/credi...ify-abuse.html
and then look under "Complaint about a credit card surcharge".
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What about expedia.de? They have always docked €2 from my credit card for flight bookings, but I think it is a fair charge for all the complex itineraries that you can create at expedia but not directly with the airlines. I wish the airlines would change this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: M&M FTL (*Silver), KLM/AF blue
"Smart" move from Swiss and the Credit Card Companies...!

This issue is that you can easily "chargback" a credit card surcharge which is stated as such on the the receipt/confirmation. And propbabbly many people did which created a lot of work for the credit card companies (and potentially Swiss) and I am not sure if Credit Card companies were able to recover the money from Swiss in the or just paid it back themselves.

With the new scheeme technically the price differentiation against Credit Cards remains in place but it will be much more difficult to argue that that not getting a reduction is an improprer surchage. So Swiss and the Credit Card companis finally are rid of the hassle.... and consumer pays the bill.
Really nasty IMHO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.