Community
Wiki Posts
Search

J ZRH to DEL? Or add an F leg?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:53 am
Original Poster

J ZRH to DEL? Or add an F leg?

Hi all, I am in the middle of planning a trip to India in Nov 19 and the tour operator would he using Jet Airways of India. I'm not keen so am looking at alternative is Swiss looks a good option (starting in the UK)

We (better half and myself) would be looking at J, but we could manage financially one of the legs in F. I'm thinking the eastbound as coming "home" would probably just be trying to sleep.

Unless there are better ideas, like try and do both in F, fire away.

thanks all
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by simon1argyle
Hi all, I am in the middle of planning a trip to India in Nov 19 and the tour operator would he using Jet Airways of India. I'm not keen so am looking at alternative is Swiss looks a good option (starting in the UK)

We (better half and myself) would be looking at J, but we could manage financially one of the legs in F. I'm thinking the eastbound as coming "home" would probably just be trying to sleep.

Unless there are better ideas, like try and do both in F, fire away.

thanks all
Well, F is always better, but if you have to make compromises, I would take the outbound in F (except for timing issues) and the inbound in J. Better catering ex ZRH, nice F lounge there to start your trip etc.
chris63 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:23 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
I would suggest to book a fully refundable J/F ticket first and then hope for an ex-LHR partner award special. Since your flights are well far away you could then book an F partner soecial for a very reasonable price in F on both ways.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Good to have a contingency in case 9W gets into deeper trouble, but isn’t that for the tour operator to sort out?

ZRH-DEL and v.v. are relatively short flights. Outbound F gives you the day flight with time to enjoy a good meal. Inbound has the advantage of the F service leaving DEL, which when I flew out of DEL saved me an hour of queuing at least for passport control. It will also give you the pick up at the plane and car to A even though for onward connections to the UK you would have to go through passport control again. Then again, the inbound is just sleeping which is fine in C too.

Unless the difference between C and F is relatively small, I’d go for C and spend the cash on something else...
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichielR
Good to have a contingency in case 9W gets into deeper trouble, but isn’t that for the tour operator to sort out?
That's true, but I don't like the look of 9W seating, or the alternative having spoken to them is VS, which again their seating doesn't appeal to me.

OH is a bad flyer so the LX seating layout appeals to her.

I think one way of each would be nice, as ZRH is a city we have always wanted to visit so we could get out there a couple of days early
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
If you can barely manage to do F, I wouldn't splurge on this F. The flight time just isn't worth it (I view F as "worth it" for 10 hour+ flights). It's also on the A330, which is good, but it's wearing (although not nearly as bad as the A340 F).

I would save here, or fly LH F instead, as they use the A380 on that route and you'll get better ground support in FRA. But again, for such a "short" longhaul, F just isn't worth it. I book F on routes like these (and FRA-JFK) only if the fares aren't that far off from business, and I view it as basically spending $$$ for miles/status miles, with the comfort as an incidental benefit.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sophialite
If you can barely manage to do F, I wouldn't splurge on this F. The flight time just isn't worth it (I view F as "worth it" for 10 hour+ flights). It's also on the A330, which is good, but it's wearing (although not nearly as bad as the A340 F).

I would save here, or fly LH F instead, as they use the A380 on that route and you'll get better ground support in FRA. But again, for such a "short" longhaul, F just isn't worth it. I book F on routes like these (and FRA-JFK) only if the fares aren't that far off from business, and I view it as basically spending $$$ for miles/status miles, with the comfort as an incidental benefit.
Slightly unfair assumption to start the post. LH isn't showing anything available on the dates 18/11-04/12 for some reason, both on their website and skyscanner
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:35 am

“Manage financially” only one leg means barely. I’m not going to tell you how to spend your money, but having been in your shoes in the past, I found it far more satisfying to use miles and eVouchers for an F upgrade, and for a nice long, long flight. The money saved can go deliver a lot more, especially in India.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:39 am

Also I strongly doubt LH F is booked full to DEL this far in advance. Anyways, on Google Flights I’m seeing fares in mid-November, but they’re £3.5k. I’ve gotten these for £2.5k in the past, so might be worth waiting a while.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Ok, perhaps this isn't the best places to publivally discuss my finances or interpretations of manage financially.

back on topic, am I doing something wrong on the 5LB website as this is all I'm getting
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:21 am

Not publicly discussing anyone’s finances, unless it goes both ways because you publicly brought them up (check your first post). Try not to be so sensitive about these things, especially on FlyerTalk, where there is almost certainly someone here who makes more, has more, and flies better than you (as it is for everyone in life, except Jeff Bezos).

Anyways, I can’t pull up bookings for December but it’s likely that’s because they’re not available yet. I’d check expertflyer for you but am not at a computer.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Would your recommendation be LH J over LX J/F?
There isn't a lot of difference and the timings aren't a deal breaker
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:15 am

Well LX F is going to be better than LH J for sure. As for LH J vs LX J I think that’s pretty subjective, but most on this forum would contend that the latter is superior because some window seats have aisle access. I view them as essentially equal and don’t really care about aisle access, but again everyone values things differently.

Keep in mind on the return flight you’re going to want to go straight to bed, as it’s very late at night/early morning and you arrive early in the morning. Unless you choose to eat dinner, which would be strange but I see people do it, you won’t appreciate the food differences between F and J.

That’s why the flight to DEL is better for F, but that’s a day flight and you arrive late in the evening, so you can’t really sleep unless you want to be awake all night when you land in Delhi.

Sorry, just fretting about the LH/LX India schedule, which isn’t particularly great.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sophialite
Well LX F is going to be better than LH J for sure. As for LH J vs LX J I think that’s pretty subjective, but most on this forum would contend that the latter is superior because some window seats have aisle access. I view them as essentially equal and don’t really care about aisle access, but again everyone values things differently.

Keep in mind on the return flight you’re going to want to go straight to bed, as it’s very late at night/early morning and you arrive early in the morning. Unless you choose to eat dinner, which would be strange but I see people do it, you won’t appreciate the food differences between F and J.

That’s why the flight to DEL is better for F, but that’s a day flight and you arrive late in the evening, so you can’t really sleep unless you want to be awake all night when you land in Delhi.

Sorry, just fretting about the LH/LX India schedule, which isn’t particularly great.
Being a couple direct aisle access won't be a game changer. Last long haul we did (BA WT+) the OH didn't leave her seat, she hates flying that much.

With the tour, the first day is "at leisure" which is also a help.

There doesn't seem to be a decent arrival time into DEL except possibly Finnair at 7AM,
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:51 am

AFAIK the only flights with decent timings are AI, Jet, and BA. And my frequent flier buddies between Delhi and London always prefer those over LH/LX because they’re direct and timing is better, despite acknowledging that the latter have better products. Like I said people value different things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.