Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swissair successful eu compensation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Swissair successful eu compensation

Having read the somewhat depressing threads on eu compensation here I just thought I 'd mention that I seem to have managed compensation for a flight from spring 2017.

London to Austria via Zurich booked through expedia. It all went wrong for several hours in Zurich, no idea why. Swissair completely stonewalled any compensation, even with threats of claim agencies.

Never did get stuff organised and chose a claim organisation but did click on a link from expedia saying it would see if eligible for compensation. Turns out they then gave all my details to airhelp.com. airhelp now say they have secured 160 odd euros less 88 euros commmision. Would have been less but going through expedia seems to cost more. They will only issue a cheque on a us bank but if I give them my bank details it looks like they can do a bank transfer for free. (Or I'm about to be scammed).

So rather odd. Very lucky I did not chose a claims agency or I would have had two claims and possibly been in hot water... Still, money, not to be sneezed at. Whether this means there has been a shift in the legal winds in switzerland I don't know. Or perhaps were just lucky. No way to run a compensation system but still again money
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What were the circumstances? Why EUR160, which is not a standard payout?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

€250 less the €88 commission?

The transfer at Zurich was delayed by four hours or so. They never really explained why. It was a while ago now too.

Last edited by zxcvbnm123; Dec 15, 2018 at 5:08 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:31 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

swissair hasn't existed in a long time
Nick Art likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
160 less 88 is 72.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by zxcvbnm123
Having read the somewhat depressing threads on eu compensation here I just thought I 'd mention that I seem to have managed compensation for a flight from spring 2017.

London to Austria via Zurich Whether this means there has been a shift in the legal winds in switzerland I don't know. Or perhaps were just lucky. No way to run a compensation system but still again money
Both your departure & arrival Country except ECJ rulings on EU261, so you should have won your case.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: LH, BA
it's good to get compensation, especially since Swissair was shut down more than 15 years ago...

Nick Art and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Sorry if I wasn't clear 160 euros is roughly what I'm getting. So you add the commission and presumably get the to the official 250 euros compensation.

My ticket said Swiss International Air Lines 1512 operated by SWISS GLOBAL AIR LINES so I stand corrected, who knows what their correct form of address is.

Yes I assumed originally I would get compensation as a european flight but from their complete refusal and reading around I assumed they would use the fact it was the leg from Zurich to Austria to claim it was swiss and wriggle out of it. So it was a pleasant surprise. Even more so when I had no memory of signing up to the claims agency so be careful on clicking links I guess. I certainly never had any email or confirmation from airhelp in the last year and a half.

Still perhaps I was just lucky, or perhaps the dam is suddenly breaking and everyone should start chasing past claims, I don't know. Anyway there is some hope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.