Dear SWISS Lurker Advance Seat Reservation Change

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Advance Seat Reservation Change

We have just received this message:
[quote=SWISS.com]Due to operational reasons we regret to inform you that your seat reservation has changed. We have done our utmost to assign an adequate seat.
By clicking on Manage your booking you have the possibility to view your new assigned seat.
Should you wish to change the seat you may request an alternative seat at check-in.[/QUOTE}
It's quite wrong, of course. The clunky website offers no such facility. The e-mail doesn't tell us what rhe new seat numbers are.

We're flying JNB-ZRH tomorrow with an 07:05 connecting flight ZRH-LHR on Sunday. It's the latter flight that is affected.

A seat number change would not normally be a great problem. However, this time a wheelchait passenger is involved and I do not want problems during our 55 minute (possibly inter-terminal) layover in ZRH. Nor do I want to make expensive phone calls from South Africa to Switzerland.

I have e-mailed and there may be a response. If not, what action should we take? Thanks.

Last edited by Roger; May 4, 2018 at 6:15 am Reason: removed live MMB link
Old May 4, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
[QUOTE=Roger;29714620]We have just received this message:
Originally Posted by SWISS.com
Due to operational reasons we regret to inform you that your seat reservation has changed. We have done our utmost to assign an adequate seat.
By clicking on Manage your booking you have the possibility to view your new assigned seat.
Should you wish to change the seat you may request an alternative seat at check-in.[/QUOTE}
It's quite wrong, of course. The clunky website offers no such facility. The e-mail doesn't tell us what rhe new seat numbers are.

We're flying JNB-ZRH tomorrow with an 07:05 connecting flight ZRH-LHR on Sunday. It's the latter flight that is affected.

A seat number change would not normally be a great problem. However, this time a wheelchait passenger is involved and I do not want problems during our 55 minute (possibly inter-terminal) layover in ZRH. Nor do I want to make expensive phone calls from South Africa to Switzerland.

I have e-mailed and there may be a response. If not, what action should we take? Thanks.
If the website won’t work, then calling is the only other option, if they don’t respond quickly by email, use SKYPE & it won’t cost much at all.
Roger likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris63
If the website won’t work, then calling is the only other option, if they don’t respond quickly by email, use SKYPE & it won’t cost much at all.
Good idea, thanks!

I called, and the person told me there was an aircraft change and we are now in 2DF, which is OK. Separately, I discovered that the 'new' plane is a CS300. This will be my first CS300. If Swiss had told me this in the e-mail, or even let me view the change online, I wouldn't have had a problem.

I just wish that MMB would work with LH Group airlines. I hesitate to use BA as an example, but I can do far more with my BA bookings online than with my LX bookings.

Your suggestion of Skype cost me all of GBP 0.14 to call a Swiss 0848 number. I guess this compares well with calling an 0848 number from Switzerland. I use my cellphone so much these days that I forget Skype - and yes, I used Skype on my cellphone. A lesson for the future, I think
Old May 4, 2018, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Roger
Good idea, thanks!

I called, and the person told me there was an aircraft change and we are now in 2DF, which is OK. Separately, I discovered that the 'new' plane is a CS300. This will be my first CS300. If Swiss had told me this in the e-mail, or even let me view the change online, I wouldn't have had a problem.

I just wish that MMB would work with LH Group airlines. I hesitate to use BA as an example, but I can do far more with my BA bookings online than with my LX bookings.

Your suggestion of Skype cost me all of GBP 0.14 to call a Swiss 0848 number. I guess this compares well with calling an 0848 number from Switzerland. I use my cellphone so much these days that I forget Skype - and yes, I used Skype on my cellphone. A lesson for the future, I think
Glad it worked out for you !

LX IT is awful....

Enjoy the CS300 it’s nice in J 👍
Roger likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
You could also have used the South African phone number of LX:

Cape Town
Tel: 08 60 04 05 06 (local number)

Most Airlines have local or free numbers in the countries, they were flying to...
Old May 14, 2018, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have e-mailed and there may be a response..
That was on 4 May. No response.

Until yesterday.
Originally Posted by swiss.com
At this time we are experiencing longer processing times than normal. Please be assured that we are doing all that we can to resolve your request as soon as possible. Your patience in this matter is greatly appreciated.

The flight in question was on 6 May. Really, swiss.com. You didn't need to take the trouble to tell me that LX customer service is pants.

Oh, did I mention that the inbound JNB-ZRH was about 5 minutes late arriving and that our baggage didn't make the connection to ZRH-LHR? Any patience that I had is long since dissipated.
Old May 15, 2018, 1:13 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
That was on 4 May. No response.
Oh, did I mention that the inbound JNB-ZRH was about 5 minutes late arriving and that our baggage didn't make the connection to ZRH-LHR? Any patience that I had is long since dissipated.
5 minutes? Blasphemy!

About your baggage: that is surprising, I mean I made a 20 minute Connection (Inbound was late) from international to domestic and all of my baggage (including my golf bag) made it.
Roger likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 1:45 am

55min is a tight connection anyway, even if entirely possible in ZRH, there is always the risk that baggage won't make it.

I've had luggage making it in IST during a mad rush from gate to gate by myself, and I've had luggage going lost in HEL on a 3hrs layover. All is possible, and ZRH is just an airport, mistakes happen.

Regarding ASR, this is a well-known "scam" run by LX on their short haul flights. Basically your chance of getting the booked seat are slim to none, the email "Due to operational reasons.." is sent out to almost all passengers having paid ASR on almost all flights. It used to be - literally - 100% - I'm not sure if they got it down to 90% by now
Roger likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, the (possibly) 55 minute transfer at ZRH always looked optimistic. [Glass half full mode.] I should be happy that Mrs Roger and I made it. [Glass half empty mode.] We arrived back on the day before a public holiday. We had other things planned without being 'trapped' at home waiting for the courier.

Oh, another message in my inbox:

Thank you for your message of 4 May 2018 concerning your seats change on flight LX316 on 6 May 2018. Please accept our apologies for this late response to your complaint. Unfortunately, numerous factors have caused a considerable increase in customer requests.
Translation: we can't keep up with the level of complaints.
I hope that, the new seats assigned were to your satisfaction.
Er, yes.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you on board again soon and to count you amongst our satisfied guests.
OK, I know that these form letters are composed of standard responses. Here's mine; I would like to be included in LX's satisfied passengers.
Old May 20, 2018, 1:51 am

I can't believe that Swiss wouldn't have figured out how much annoyance that causes especially with loyal passengers and how much much business they are losing with this stupid policy.
​​​​​​
Next Tuesday I have a short haul flight on a light fare which is what I always book nowadays because wasting money is just not our thing. Oh, right, even with Sen or Hon status you don't get free seat assignments on light fares anymore .... That policy alone is so stupid. Not KLM not One World where I both hold top tier discrimatte like that against their best customers

Anyway. My business contact booked the same flight so we could discuss some things on the way.

A321, we booked aisle seats row 11. I paid 10 Euro for that.

Four days out, no e-mail, but as I am checking the seatmap on expertflyer.com I see his and my seat empty.

​​​​​​I called to fix my seats and the agent explain to me that this was due to an aircraft change from an a321 to an a321. Because the other side of the aisle now has 2 and not 3 seats in row 11, 11c became 2 francs more expensive so they just moved us to different rows in the back of the plane. I got 11C back, his secretary got him 11D back, and I did not pay anything in the end. I guess the agent was too embarrassed. (We will see if it changes again...)

But it's the main reason LX is my last resort for any flight where I have a choice. It has cost them probably nearly 100 segments they have lost from me. I am picky. I want my assigned seat. I will pay for it if it is reasonable. 30 Euro for exit row in europe is NOT! ) But you take my money and move me around without adequate communication and care and I get very very pissed off. Tjen I complain to get my money back because that's what the ground agent is told, and I get a stupid excuse from customer service and a "no way we keep your money because you paid to be in an aisle and not in that specific seat so last row aisle is per our contract....". Of course I go ballistic. I don't want to be bothered with this crap. Seriously. Good luck with the other customers. I take my business elsewhere whenever I can.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by f4free
. Tjen I complain to get my money back because that's what the ground agent is told, and I get a stupid excuse from customer service and a "no way we keep your money because you paid to be in an aisle and not in that specific seat so last row aisle is per our contract....". Of course I go ballistic. I don't want to be bothered with this crap. Seriously. Good luck with the other customers. I take my business elsewhere whenever I can.
That's just bad form.

Another plus point for AF/KL - I got a note last week to the effect of "Due to an aircraft change, your seat was changed. If you don't like your new seat, click here for a refund of seat selection charge." How it should be.
Old May 21, 2018, 9:19 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
[QUOTE=Roger;29714620]We have just received this message:
Originally Posted by SWISS.com
Due to operational reasons we regret to inform you that your seat reservation has changed. We have done our utmost to assign an adequate seat.

I read this thread asking myself why this never happened to me in all these years just to receive an email with, you guessed it, a seat change! And a rather weird one indeed! Two ppl flying and they did hold seats 11A and 11C (I'm not very sure about the row number anymore) and the aircraft was changed from A321 to A321 (probably they switched to the new or old config) and the new seats are 16B and 16C. So it did not only switch rows but also letters: window seat to an aisle seat and the aisle seat to a middle seat. The problem is as the departure is in less than 48 hours and more than 24 hours I can not access the seatmap to switch seats or look at the seatmap anymore. Ah yeah i forgot to mention it is a flight from LHR to ZRH. Rahter puzzling indeed.
Old May 21, 2018, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk

Another plus point for AF/KL - I got a note last week to the effect of "Due to an aircraft change, your seat was changed. If you don't like your new seat, click here for a refund of seat selection charge." How it should be.
Exactly how it should be !

LX really need to up their game in this regard

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.