Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which origins are considered "clean" at ZRH (for security purposes)?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
However, UA at GVA today wasn't (tho maybe that had to do with apron position)
Yes, though I doubt that GVA can distinguish between clean/non-clean with their current set up.

[not sure whether pax arriving GVA on UIA/TS/TK parked at B satellite are bused to the C arrival or off-loaded into the satellite arrivals along with UK arrivals]
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:25 pm

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
In Zurich, be aware that it's not only by country of origin but also by airline. Coming in from the UK on Swiss, you're "clean". If you come in on British Airways in B, I think you're clean as well (not sure). If you come in on BA in Dock E, you're not clean. From US, arriving on LX you're clean, arriving on AA/DL (not sure about UA) you're not.

Doesn't make any sense, but hey... also makes you wonder why in LHR all international flights are not clean, why arrivals from US in Germany always are, in ZRH/GVA only on LX, in CDG never, etc.
That would explain the different scenarios when you arrive from SIN:

LX -> clean
SQ -> unclean

You don't have to understand that...
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
In Zurich, be aware that it's not only by country of origin but also by airline. Coming in from the UK on Swiss, you're "clean". If you come in on British Airways in B, I think you're clean as well (not sure). If you come in on BA in Dock E, you're not clean. From US, arriving on LX you're clean, arriving on AA/DL (not sure about UA) you're not.

Doesn't make any sense, but hey... also makes you wonder why in LHR all international flights are not clean, why arrivals from US in Germany always are, in ZRH/GVA only on LX, in CDG never, etc.
I just changed planes in Frankfurt coming from the US on LH and we were most definitely NOT considered "clean". Had to go through security just to get to the lounge to wait for my connection and then again in the other concourse for my flight.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: LX HON Circle
In my experience, when you arrive from SIN on LX at D gates you are also not clean. Go figure..
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
In my experience, when you arrive from SIN on LX at D gates you are also not clean. Go figure..
Strange indeed, here’s hoping my next arrival from SIN is not at a D gate !

Just arrived at FRA from SIN & it was clean arrival at Z gate.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:23 am

I'll be doing this from SFO-TLV through ZRH on LX again in June so will report back.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by satprof
Title says it all really.

Reading through and searching this forum leads me to the conclusion that the US, Canada & 'most' European countries are considered 'clean' origins for pax transiting ZRH so far as security is concerned.

Unfortunately, this leaves open the questions:

a.) Which European countries are not considered 'clean'? &
b.) Are there any other countries (e.g. Singapore, Dubai, Japan), outside Europe that are also considered as 'clean'?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

TIA
To answer your question:
All the European countries which are members of the "Schengen" agreement are Clear.
Also depending on arrival-terminal, flights from the UK can be clean. This is mostly the case with LX but quite random with BA.

Singapore is clean for SQ / LX since around 2 months, we have gotten this as internal info in ZRH.
Flights from the US are also clean, since they fullfill the "one-stop security" criteria.

I hope this clears things up for you!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
Originally Posted by ZRHtotheworld
Singapore is clean for SQ / LX since around 2 months, we have gotten this as internal info in ZRH.
Indeed, my arrival from SIN on LX at D-gates in early March was clean.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by NYTA
I just changed planes in Frankfurt coming from the US on LH and we were most definitely NOT considered "clean". Had to go through security just to get to the lounge to wait for my connection and then again in the other concourse for my flight.
all US flights are clean unless they arrive at B/C which is because of the setup at FRA. That’s why most US flights get in at Z.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by daumueller

all US flights are clean unless they arrive at B/C which is because of the setup at FRA. That’s why most US flights get in at Z.
Exactly, Z arrivals are considered clean, B/C are not. That's also why AC arrivals are usually not clean because they arrive at FRA B.

Overall, there are certainly several inconsistencies with regards to secondary screening. These days, I just expect to go through security again and be happy if I do not have to.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by totti
Exactly, Z arrivals are considered clean, B/C are not. That's also why AC arrivals are usually not clean because they arrive at FRA B.

Overall, there are certainly several inconsistencies with regards to secondary screening. These days, I just expect to go through security again and be happy if I do not have to.
Though Z can be unclean (like Z52A) but B can not be clean ever (afaik) as Z (being much newer) has basically 3 levels (A/Z/Z unclean) whereas the B gates don’t allow that distinction
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.

Though Z can be unclean (like Z52A) but B can not be clean ever (afaik) as Z (being much newer) has basically 3 levels (A/Z/Z unclean) whereas the B gates don’t allow that distinction
Yes, FRA is not nice for transfers, MUC & ZRH are 👍
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:42 am

Is there any way to figure this out in advance? i.e. which flights are clean and which aren't at FRA? (Which ones come to the Z gates) or is it random?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If your flight comes in from a country that doesn't meet the standard, but LH wants to use the aircraft to fly to the US (for example), they will still send it to Z, but deplane via the unclean level Z5xA. LH.com will show the arrival gate accordingly.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:19 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
The existence of 3 levels is not relevant in this discussion as A is purely used for Schengen flights though its location does help. B and C also have two levels just like the newer part of Z - departure (lower) level and arrival (upper) level. The lower level is clean. The upper level is not. All arriving passengers enter the terminal on the upper level with the exception of flights arriving in Z from the US and occasionally the UK. These passengers enter the terminal on the lower (departure) level. This does not work in B or C because the layout of the concourse does not allow passengers in the departure gate area (whether they have just arrived from a clean country or they have clearered security to board a flight) to go to another concourse without leaving the secure area.

When they extended the A/Z pier they made it possible for passengers arriving on the lower level of Z to enter A without clearing security. In theory passengers arriving in B from the UK and Canada could enter the terminal on the lower level, but once there they can only go to another B non-Schengen gate for a connecting flight without re-clearing security. For all other gates they will have to clear security but that’s a topic for the FRA connection thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.