Which origins are considered "clean" at ZRH (for security purposes)?

Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, lots of old plastic claiming to be precious metal
Question Which origins are considered "clean" at ZRH (for security purposes)?

Title says it all really.

Reading through and searching this forum leads me to the conclusion that the US, Canada & 'most' European countries are considered 'clean' origins for pax transiting ZRH so far as security is concerned.

Unfortunately, this leaves open the questions:

a.) Which European countries are not considered 'clean'? &
b.) Are there any other countries (e.g. Singapore, Dubai, Japan), outside Europe that are also considered as 'clean'?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

TIA
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Great question that I was also wondering about!
From my own experience from the last few months, when arriving from JNB and BKK, I had to go through security again, whereas arriving from SIN I could go straight to the 'Heidi'-train to the main terminal for my connecting flight.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:19 am

I fly CHI/SFO-ZRH-BCN frequently and do not have to go through security in ZRH when connecting from my transatlantic flight to my ZRH-BCN flight.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by asanaty
I fly CHI/SFO-ZRH-BCN frequently and do not have to go through security in ZRH when connecting from my transatlantic flight to my ZRH-BCN flight.
I think I remember the same when I was flying SFO-ZRH-TLV last year that I didn't have to go through security, but did have to in the opposite direction. Kind of crazy since I think no airport is more secure than TLV but they seem to believe SFO is "cleaner".
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:52 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Please see:

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes...-policy/oss_en

• the United States of America
  • Canada
  • Montenegro
  • Faroe Islands, in regard to Vagar airport
  • Greenland, in regard to Kangerlussuaq airport
  • Guernsey
  • Jersey
  • Isle of Man

and:

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes/air/security_en

The common rules in the field of civil aviation security apply also to Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.

Last edited by cas_de; Apr 6, 2018 at 8:04 am
Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, lots of old plastic claiming to be precious metal
Many thanks, cas_de, although it doesn't explain Viennafly's experience arriving from SIN. Perhaps someone made a mistake, but that isn't generally a Swiss trait, especially regarding security.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by satprof
Many thanks, cas_de, although it doesn't explain Viennafly's experience arriving from SIN. Perhaps someone made a mistake, but that isn't generally a Swiss trait, especially regarding security.
Indeed, my LX arrivals from SIN also were clean & security free, unlike BKK, however considering the security processes at both BKK & SIN I thinks it’s fine. HKG arrivals also required security screening at ZRH.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:26 am

I'm assuming Hong Kong isn't "clean"?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:24 pm

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Last December I arrived in ZRH coming in on SQ from SIN, connecting onwards to MUC on LH and I definitely had to pass through security in order to proceed to my connection flight. I don't know the reason for the transfer w/out security check as described by others.

PS: But then I had to go through transfer security in ARL coming in from ORD (presumably clean) and also in FRA coming in from LCY.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by nollbit
I'm assuming Hong Kong isn't "clean"?
Correct, I always had to go through transit security on arrival into ZRH from HKG
windchaser777 and nollbit like this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by chris63

Indeed, my LX arrivals from SIN also were clean & security free, unlike BKK, however considering the security processes at both BKK & SIN I thinks it’s fine. HKG arrivals also required security screening at ZRH.
Considering that SIN has gate security (as I remember), could it be, that LX has more stringent checks to EU standards and therefore clean?
Originally Posted by cas_de
Last December I arrived in ZRH coming in on SQ from SIN, connecting onwards to MUC on LH and I definitely had to pass through security in order to proceed to my connection flight. I don't know the reason for the transfer w/out security check as described by others.

PS: But then I had to go through transfer security in ARL coming in from ORD (presumably clean) and also in FRA coming in from LCY.
FRA is a different case, they sometimes push even clean arrivals through security due to terminal layout.

Funny thing you mention MUC, I was thinking how it was when I flew to Cuba from Vienna via Germany last year... in FRA outbound we went through the tunnel, no check. But coming back via MUC, I can't for the love of me remember if we went through security. They did pick us up for a bus ride right at deplanning, so wondering if that was a factor.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
In Zurich, be aware that it's not only by country of origin but also by airline. Coming in from the UK on Swiss, you're "clean". If you come in on British Airways in B, I think you're clean as well (not sure). If you come in on BA in Dock E, you're not clean. From US, arriving on LX you're clean, arriving on AA/DL (not sure about UA) you're not.

Doesn't make any sense, but hey... also makes you wonder why in LHR all international flights are not clean, why arrivals from US in Germany always are, in ZRH/GVA only on LX, in CDG never, etc.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Doesn't make any sense, but hey....
Indeed, this applies to much of passenger security proceedures at large
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:06 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
From US, arriving on LX you're clean, arriving on AA/DL (not sure about UA) you're not.
UA is clean (at least it was back in December when I flew via ZRH).
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by TPJ
UA is clean (at least it was back in December when I flew via ZRH).
However, UA at GVA today wasn't (tho maybe that had to do with apron position)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.