HB-JMB : 11DEC19 - 20JAN 20
HB-JMA : 30OCT19 - 11DEC19
Print Wikipost

A340 refurbishment

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Nick Art
On first of August, after having flown its last flight from Shanghai to Zurich for SWISS; HB-JMD has left the Swiss fleet and is now being repainted and refurbished in Cambridge for its future use with Edelweiss Air. This means that Edelweiss Air will soon have received all their "new" long haul planes, totalling 6 (2 A333, 4 A343).
This also means that Swiss is short one plane now, so some A340 rotations will be flown by A330. (For example Shanghai, no F being sold on those flights, as F will be used for crew rest).
Frankly, I don't see how they plan to refurbish any A340 currently due to their rather tight shedule. But let's hope they will do it soon anyway.
I wonder what they are doing for the F pax that are being displaced by closing the F cabin to PVG. Downgrade to J and compensation or put them on LH (and compensation)? I have an F flight in March 2019 on PVG-ZRH and, so far, an A343 is still operating.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: LX SEN
I agree that the IFE and the cabin design is nicer in the T7 or A330, but comfort wise I always have and still do appreciate the 340 in F. Even though some more privacy during night flights would be nice, the open cabin also has its charme.
Nick Art likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:03 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by Europeanexplorer
I wonder what they are doing for the F pax that are being displaced by closing the F cabin to PVG. Downgrade to J and compensation or put them on LH (and compensation)? I have an F flight in March 2019 on PVG-ZRH and, so far, an A343 is still operating.
Sorry, I wasn’t quite clear: 3 out of 7 flights will be A333 while the rest will still be A343 with F being sold. They do also switch A343s with A333s on ZRH-JNB, but there F class is available as usual.

The flights that are operated by A333s to PVG do not sell any F online since more than a month.

Last edited by Nick Art; Aug 8, 2018 at 2:02 am
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Ambassador

Sorry, I wasn’t quite clear: 4 out of 7 flights will be A333 while the rest will still be A343 with F being sold. They do also switch A343s with A333s on ZRH-JNB, but there F class is available as usual.

The flights that are operated by A333s to PVG do not sell any F online since more than a month.
Great, so I assume the PVG flights which are still selling F are likely to be the ones which will be operated by the A343. So the only question is whether it will be an A343 with the new or the old seats.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: LXFF
As I understand it the first retrofitted A340 won't be in service before late 2018/ early 2019.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by alinghi90
I agree that the IFE and the cabin design is nicer in the T7 or A330, but comfort wise I always have and still do appreciate the 340 in F. Even though some more privacy during night flights would be nice, the open cabin also has its charme.
Agreed 100%. The first flight in F I took was with LH back in 2001 and what struck me the most was the sense of space in the cabin (old F cabin). Since you could see out of many windows, you really got a sense of flying for lack of a better description. The newer cabins are very nice, but you loose some of the charm for sure.

On my last NRT-ZRH, there was 6-7 hours left before landing and they made the bed next to my seat (emtpy seat). I didn't feel very tired, but I said to my self, what the heck they made the bed might as well try and sleep a little. Next thing I know I was woken up by the annoucement "crew, landing in 10 minutes"... theres something about that seat that is just great for sleeping.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
More than upgrading the seats I am hoping that they install Internet-on-board when they do the refurbishment. Sure, I like the new F seats better than the current ones (more privacy), but I'd rather have the old F seats with WiFi than the new ones without WiFi.

Does anybody know whether they'll add the satellite internet connection to the A340s when they refurbish the cabins?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by San Gottardo

Does anybody know whether they'll add the satellite internet connection to the A340s when they refurbish the cabins?
They will add WiFi

On a recent flight the M/C event told me that they install a second lavatory in F. Not sure if that really is true since they would need to reduce galley space, but would be a great addition of course.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

More than upgrading the seats I am hoping that they install Internet-on-board when they do the refurbishment. Sure, I like the new F seats better than the current ones (more privacy), but I'd rather have the old F seats with WiFi than the new ones without WiFi.

Wifi will be installed together with the refurbishment.

Though I must disagree: I have no problem flying without wifi, as I like having my peace during flight and not being interrupted by online stuff. For me that‘s part of the experience of flying. (Being forced to disconnect). So even when there is wifi I would not use it

It kinda reminds me of my childhood... You may remember the times when in hotels and resorts there was only paid wifi if any and then only in the lobby. So as a child we did other things to entertain us. Those were the best holidays imo...

Originally Posted by alinghi90
They will add WiFi

On a recent flight the M/C event told me that they install a second lavatory in F. Not sure if that really is true since they would need to reduce galley space, but would be a great addition of course.
That is also true, two lavatories are planned for F, but due to certification difficulties I’m not sure if anything has to be changed.
Keep in mind that the whole cabin of the plane will be refurbished including galley: We have a lot to look forward to

Last edited by Nick Art; Aug 8, 2018 at 12:44 am
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:25 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
It kinda reminds me of my childhood... You may remember the times when in hotels and resorts there was only paid wifi if any and then only in the lobby.
Guess what? I even remember the time when there was no internet anywhere - and we had nice vacations then, too.
cricketer likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by airoli
Guess what? I even remember the time when there was no internet anywhere - and we had nice vacations then, too.
I'm not that young!
I (mostly) grew up without internet and phone! (probably one of the last generations that did so)...
Nostalgia!

OT: It's quite interesting actually: I was introduced to THE INTERNET in late elementary to early high school (we used to play games on the school computers during lunch). Hell, I even remember how we used to have to log in via the phone line! So in mid high in about 2 years everybody went from having no phone or an old nokia, to the newest Iphone/Ipad etc. It's kinda cool to having whitnessed that first hand.
I for example spent way to much time on it: But without realizing I always kinda liked the time I was forced to disconnect (like when flying).
What's really funny is that many of my friends who used to hang out on instagram, facebook etc. all the time are now actually in a kind of anti internet trend, me including: Many of us deleted all social media apps and have at best whatsapp. Interesting isn't it?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
There are several schools of thought:
  1. "I love to be unavailable" >> poor slaves to their employers or their inability to just disconnect wherever they are at their own will, and who need the excuse of being on a plane to be able to disconnect and make themselves unreachable
  2. "I don't need it, I can still have a great time" >> yep, if you fly from time to time and the flight is part of your leisure experience, that makes sense
  3. "I need it to be productive" >> if you cross the Atlantic two or three times a week while things are going on at work you don't want to wait until you land 8-12 hours later to then find that you have 120 emails to answers, your team took a wrong decision in your absence, and they stay up till 3am their time only to wait that you land. The flight is not a "time out", but just an office above the clouds, plus all the stress before takeoff to send things out that need to be done
  4. "First Class is about luxury and providing all the things you might need" >> by the same logic that they provide all kinds of things that are comfortable on the ground but aren't necessary in the air (movies, live TV, PJs, caviar, etc). If I want to use the time in the air to watch a movie, thank you dear airline for making that possible. If I want to use the time in the air to browse internet sites to plan my next vacation, read about the destination, organize my ground transportation, check up on news or blogs, post on FlyerTalk... thank you dear airline for also making that possible by offering an internet connection and giving me free access to it as part of the First Class product.
I pity those in category 1 (often not their own fault, many people are slaves and are expected to be reachable all the time), I fully respect those in category 2, but I also respect those in category 3 and 4. And I am glad that those in 1 and 2 do not dictate what will be offered to 3 and 4. "I don't want to use it" is OK, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be installed. Just don't use it.

Personally,I am sometimes in category 2, often in category 3 (precisely because I often do 2-3 longhauls per week), often in category 4. But for instance I always never watch movies on the plane. I want to have the choice myself whether I use internet or not, not the airline impose it on me; just as I want to have the choice myself whether I want to watch movies or not.
bawm likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

There are several schools of thought:
  1. "I love to be unavailable" >> poor slaves to their employers or their inability to just disconnect wherever they are at their own will, and who need the excuse of being on a plane to be able to disconnect and make themselves unreachable
  2. "I don't need it, I can still have a great time" >> yep, if you fly from time to time and the flight is part of your leisure experience, that makes sense
  3. "I need it to be productive" >> if you cross the Atlantic two or three times a week while things are going on at work you don't want to wait until you land 8-12 hours later to then find that you have 120 emails to answers, your team took a wrong decision in your absence, and they stay up till 3am their time only to wait that you land. The flight is not a "time out", but just an office above the clouds, plus all the stress before takeoff to send things out that need to be done
  4. "First Class is about luxury and providing all the things you might need" >> by the same logic that they provide all kinds of things that are comfortable on the ground but aren't necessary in the air (movies, live TV, PJs, caviar, etc). If I want to use the time in the air to watch a movie, thank you dear airline for making that possible. If I want to use the time in the air to browse internet sites to plan my next vacation, read about the destination, organize my ground transportation, check up on news or blogs, post on FlyerTalk... thank you dear airline for also making that possible by offering an internet connection and giving me free access to it as part of the First Class product.
I pity those in category 1 (often not their own fault, many people are slaves and are expected to be reachable all the time), I fully respect those in category 2, but I also respect those in category 3 and 4. And I am glad that those in 1 and 2 do not dictate what will be offered to 3 and 4. "I don't want to use it" is OK, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be installed. Just don't use it.

Personally,I am sometimes in category 2, often in category 3 (precisely because I often do 2-3 longhauls per week), often in category 4. But for instance I always never watch movies on the plane. I want to have the choice myself whether I use internet or not, not the airline impose it on me; just as I want to have the choice myself whether I want to watch movies or not.
Oh, I fully respect that other passengers might need wifi for various reasons. But as mentioned, I'm not one of those and hence I won't be using it. I still don't mind having it installed of course! I probably didn't make that very clear in my previous post.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:33 pm

Has anyone even used the wifi on the A330/777? Everytime I was in F and they gave me a voucher, it's nerver worked. Once I succeded in sending an SMS. That's it.

I can live without it so I don't care that much. Anyways at the price they are charging on Swiss it seems ridiculously expensive.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by ced_lx
Has anyone even used the wifi on the A330/777? Everytime I was in F and they gave me a voucher, it's nerver worked. Once I succeded in sending an SMS. That's it.

I can live without it so I don't care that much. Anyways at the price they are charging on Swiss it seems ridiculously expensive.
Yes, on both A333 and B777, with so much success that the vouchers lasted about 2 hours only. In that regard LH with unlimited use is so much better, though the MdC on LX are quite generous with vouchers. I’m still sitting on a pile of recently expired ones that I will try to use soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.