Wiki Posts
Search

Can anyone explain to me the seatbelts in business

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Can anyone explain to me the seatbelts in business

I see in the reviews that the seat belts are 3 point, but no one really talks about them (at least I couldn't find anything here or online). Is the full three points required only for take off/landing, or any time the seat belt light is on.

Additionally, how are they when sleeping? Usually I like to buckle up since I don't want to be woken unnecessarily.

Looking forward to my first flight on LX in a couple weeks!
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: LX SEN
To my knowledge, they only exist in the 777.

The third point (over the shoulder) must only be attached during take-off and landings, but not at cruise altitude even if the fasten seat belt sign is on.

To my view, the third point (over the shoulder) is installed too low (just below the headrest) and is not confortable. But you do not need to keep it for long.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:43 am

and I can only explain the presence of those belts to restrain the upper body to move laterally on the side lamp and panels (which only exist on the 777 config).
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:20 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
LH's First Class seats on the B748i also have them.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: TG Gold
I have only seen those on the 777ER.
They are ok, but make sure you put them aside for sleeping and somehow squeeze them in the upper corner of the cushion. Otherwise not very comfortable sleeping on those.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks everyone for the quick responses - sorry, yes, I was referring to the 777. Really glad to hear they disconnect for cruising - hopefully this info is useful for future travelers too
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:45 pm

Asiana's A380 business class also has them.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Thai has them on the A380 (and I would guess their own 77W as it is the same seat). SK has them on tne newly configured A340 and A330.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:00 am

I am wondering what regulations require this type of belts.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:48 am

Programs: DL, AA
American's 787 fleet has them and I presumed they to keep the body in one place during takeoffs and landings avoiding injuries to ones head after hitting the sides of the "suites"
Old Dec 7, 2016, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Icecat
American's 787 fleet has them and I presumed they to keep the body in one place during takeoffs and landings avoiding injuries to ones head after hitting the sides of the "suites"
Despite the narrowness of that seat, how many take offs or landings have you experienced where that is even a remote risk?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 5:20 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Despite the narrowness of that seat, how many take offs or landings have you experienced where that is even a remote risk?
If you have never experienced a rejected take-off at high velocity, or an emergency landing with full brake power applied, then that's great for you.

But it doesn't mean that precautions should not be taken. You'd be surprised at the effectiveness of a B777's brakes if they are slammed hard. @:-)
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airoli
If you have never experienced a rejected take-off at high velocity, or an emergency landing with full brake power applied, then that's great for you.

But it doesn't mean that precautions should not be taken. You'd be surprised at the effectiveness of a B777's brakes if they are slammed hard. @:-)
I have not tried a rejected take off yet, though some pretty nasty landings. Nothing yet that would require a 3 point seat belt though.

When we are talking Asiana in SFO, I am sure they have a benefit. But TBH, they would probably be more required in Y than J.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: VX Elevate, B6 TrueBlue, DL SkyMiles
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I have not tried a rejected take off yet, though some pretty nasty landings. Nothing yet that would require a 3 point seat belt though.

When we are talking Asiana in SFO, I am sure they have a benefit. But TBH, they would probably be more required in Y than J.
They should be required in all classes.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 1:57 am

Programs: MM FTL
flew to miami a couple of weeks ago on the 777. when I put on this seatbelt I was shocked and thought, this is the last time I fly business with Swiss, until I realised that the should belt could be taken of after take-off. whether it does any good, I cannot say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.