Wiki Posts
Search

Swiss Baggage Allowance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Swiss Baggage Allowance

hi everyone,

taking a flight from rome- sfo (connection in zrh)
i am booked economy from rome to zrh and business from zrh to sfo.
does anyone know what baggage weight im allowed ?

thanks
appreciate it!
Old Jul 6, 2016, 3:01 am

2x32 kg. (assuming it's all on one ticket.)
Dhamal likes this.

Last edited by klausa; Jul 6, 2016 at 4:00 am
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:20 am
Original Poster

yes, booked on same award ticket.
appreciate the response!
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
How about in paid discount economy on LX from PEK-ZRH-BOS, per person?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by nologic
How about in paid discount economy on LX from PEK-ZRH-BOS, per person?
See here.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:01 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
If I am reading this correctly then *G status does not permit free checked baggage on Light fares on intra-European flights?

That seems to be counter-intuitive to the *G benefits.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyKid
If I am reading this correctly then *G status does not permit free checked baggage on Light fares on intra-European flights?

That seems to be counter-intuitive to the *G benefits.
Yes, you are correct. And there are plenty of threads about this. LH group and NZ have their own special rules.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 9:41 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by televisor
Yes, you are correct. And there are plenty of threads about this. LH group and NZ have their own special rules.
Bummer. I've only flown Swiss once and I enjoyed it very much. It seems though that even on a Light fare that once I do OLCI I can pay 19 Euro per bag. That is still less than the difference between Light and Classic on the route I am looking at.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyKid
Bummer. I've only flown Swiss once and I enjoyed it very much. It seems though that even on a Light fare that once I do OLCI I can pay 19 Euro per bag. That is still less than the difference between Light and Classic on the route I am looking at.
Yes, however buying a bag on a Light fare does not entitle *G to a second bag.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I'm about to book Economy Light tickets GVA-NCE and it says "1 hand baggage" (for ref: classic says "1 hand baggage and 1 checked baggage"). We will each have one carry-on piece of luggage 55x40x23 per their limit. AND we will each have one "personal item" that will fit under the seat like a small backpack, laptop messenger bag, or purse. But Swiss doesn't say anything about personal item. I originally thought "hand baggage" meant personal item then saw the dimensions. Anyway, just wondering if this will be okay. Don't want expensive surprises at the airport.

Their site is a little confusing to an American customer. Booking page says "1 hand baggage"
But digging further another page says for economy "no baggage included" for intra-Europe: https://www.swiss.com/nl/EN/prepare/...e#t-page=pane1
Old Jun 1, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
I had the same question. I found this Swiss Air link which has a little more info: https://www.swiss.com/us/EN/prepare/...e/hand-baggage
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Light fare means no checked baggage, only one piece of hand luggage with the dimensions you indicated plus 1 personal item (you can see that under "other permitted items" further down the link that Uh Clem shared).
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Light fare means no checked baggage, only one piece of hand luggage with the dimensions you indicated plus 1 personal item (you can see that under "other permitted items" further down the link that Uh Clem shared).
Do you know how strict Swiss is on Carry On luggage? I'm flying from ZRH to DUS on a CS300 using a United award economy ticket which allows one carry on and one checked baggage. I travel with my carry on which is the old Kirkland 22" carry on and my Swiss Gear backpack which always passes for my personal item with other airlines. My carry weighs around 16 KG which is more than the 8KG that Swiss says it allows. Are they strict at the airport? Wondering if I need to check it in as checked baggage which I hate doing. I didn't have any issues on my Swiss Air flight from SFO to ZRH with my carry on but I was flying in Business class on that flight.

Last edited by Uh Clem; Jun 3, 2019 at 12:05 am
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Uh Clem
My carry weighs around 16 KG which is more than the 8KG that Swiss says it allows. Are they strict at the airport?
It's not more. It's twice as much. If they will have a check at the gate expect it to be sent to the hold. You can chance it of course, just don't complain if they gate check it (probably for free anyway, but still).
Uh Clem likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso
It's not more. It's twice as much. If they will have a check at the gate expect it to be sent to the hold. You can chance it of course, just don't complain if they gate check it (probably for free anyway, but still).
Thanks, I'll probably chance it. I have the old Costco (Kirkland) 22" carry on which you can't purchase anymore. I've had it for about 10 years now and it's still like new. I'm afraid of the airline losing or damaging it. I've never had issues with Lufthansa and I've heard they are pretty strict.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.