Wiki Posts
Search

How to fly for your job [to become SEN/HON in CH]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:18 am
hcl

Originally Posted by gbchenry
Thank you all for your replies.

Following the advice of HCL I contacted Sunrise and I will have an interview. They told me I will fly 5-10 times per year which is more than now. They did not mention the class of travel.

I will also have an interview with a well-know company (IT service provider), let's see what will come up
Regading Sunrise: economy all the way and AFAIK cheapo Eco...

Well known IT company? IBM? Then good luck...
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: LX HON Circle
Originally Posted by hcl
Regading Sunrise: economy all the way and AFAIK cheapo Eco...

Well known IT company? IBM? Then good luck...
I have met a guy working for IBM on FRA-JFK and he told me his company policy says economy even for longhauls.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
I have met a guy working for IBM on FRA-JFK and he told me his company policy says economy even for longhauls.
And Best Western instead of Hilton
Old Jul 11, 2016, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

so after months I can update this thread. IBM pay Eco and they tend to travel less in the future. Sunrise is too small. I bet I will never find the place I am looking for... I'm seriously thinking about moving to sales...
Old Jul 12, 2016, 5:12 am
hcl

IBM pay Eco and they tend to travel less in the future.
Sunrise is too small. I bet I will never find the place I am looking for... I'm seriously thinking about moving to sales...
Well AFAIK IBM does not charge "officially" the customer for travel, hence they see travel as an expense. They offer (kind of) public transportation tickets but I'm not really sure if they pay the first class (train of course).
Travelling cost money and time - I travel just because I cannot do anything remotely (penetration testing, perimeter survey, ...) but otherwise I don't see any good reason to be on site all the time.

Now, regarding your last sentence: do you really want to change to sales (which is NOT related to your current job) just to fly? Think twice! I don't know your salary but if it is good then save your time and enjoy a nice flight in F with your GF - hotel included.
Sure enough the decision is up to you but if you like your current job (I mean your position) then don't move to sales just because you want to fly. Even if you fly F all the time (but trust me... the equation is not sales = business / first) then you get bored soon. The same applies to biz.

If I remember correctly you work for this company since 5 years - so you may have a reputation. If your start as sales - then you start from zero.

But then again I may be completely wrong - you will switch to sales, you will fly F weekly and in 2 years you will have your own private jet
Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I know a guy who is VP CRM in IBM and he flies economy becuase of company budget constraints
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: 1 thousand
I have an alternative suggestion: find a job that doesn't care where you're based (e.g. I know of quite a few software engineering companies, although if they're not based in CH then you'll have a harder time getting a CH salary - SV companies do have similar salaries but they tend to be remote-sceptical). Then you can travel and work from wherever, and you get a lot of flexibility in planning you're travel for maximum value / minimum jetlag. Of course this really varies by company and team, but I know of quite a few people who do this successfully.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
so after months I can update this thread. IBM pay Eco and they tend to travel less in the future. Sunrise is too small. I bet I will never find the place I am looking for... I'm seriously thinking about moving to sales...
What do you expect in sales? I work for a major IT vendor, have friends working in pretty much every other major tech company... you know how many of them pay for C/F all the time? Zero. If you're lucky, you'll land a job at a place that would pay C for flights over 8 hours or so. If you're in sales in Europe, you know how many of those you'd have a year? Two. If. And with new "improved" earnings in economy booking classes, good luck getting SEN from flying intra-europe.

If you move to sales, expect nice bonuses IF you make your numbers, perhaps a decent car, probably pretty decent hotels, but don't count on very expensive booking classes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.