Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which lounge in LAX and hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2012, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Smile Which lounge in LAX and hotel?

I am flying united LAS-LAX and then LAX-ZRH first.

1) Which lounge can I use for the swiss flight?

2) Has anyone a description of what is on offer in this lounge?

3) Does LAX airport have dayrooms (layover from 13.00 until check-in opens at +/- 16.00) - if not which hotel would you suggest to spend the time?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BRUNOREM
I am flying united LAS-LAX and then LAX-ZRH first.

1) Which lounge can I use for the swiss flight?

2) Has anyone a description of what is on offer in this lounge?

3) Does LAX airport have dayrooms (layover from 13.00 until check-in opens at +/- 16.00) - if not which hotel would you suggest to spend the time?
1. Joint UA/LH/LX lounge in TBIT (international terminal). See post #5 here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...rst-class.html
2. Again see post #5 above
3. No. There are lots of hotels at LAX. Not sure you can get one for three hours or whether it is really worth it.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Why do you have to wait to check in for your Swiss flight at TBIT? If your LAX-ZRH flight is on the same itinerary as your LAS-LAX flight, you can check in for the Swiss flight when you check in at LAS. If your Swiss ticket is on a different itinerary, you could try to check in online at www.swiss.com. If that's not possible either, and you don't have a boarding pass when you arrive at LAX, you could try bringing a printed copy of your Swiss itinerary to the United International First Class Lounge (IFL). I'm not 100% sure it will work, given the quirks of the new SHARES ticketing system, but it's worth a shot.

If you're arriving at LAX on United, you should be able to use the United International First Class lounge, since your onward flight is in International First on a Star Alliance carrier. Just show your Swiss boarding pass at the UA IFL desk.

FWIW, if you're checking luggage and the Swiss flight is NOT on the same itinerary as the UA flight, you can still check your bags at LAS and have them interlined to the Swiss flight. Bring a printed copy of your Swiss itinerary when you check in at LAS.

As for the the amenities in the two lounges, the UA lounge seating is comfortable, and the view is rather nice. There are no showers or nap rooms, although they may still have a few recliners in a quiet corner. There's usually a decent selection of snacks, but nothing spectacular. There's a self-serve bar.

The Star Alliance First Class lounge at TBIT is smaller than the UA IFL, but the snacks are better. The self-serve bar offerings are equivalent to the UA IFL. The view from the *A F lounge is of the construction of the new TBIT terminal. The Star Alliance lounge has showers, but no nap rooms.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Smile

Thanks for the replies.
My situation is as follows:

A) arriving from >ZRH with LX in first.
My onward flight is leaving only at +/- 22.30 (UA) in economy to LAS.
So here I'll have to spend some hours at the airport.

1) Do you think I could use the UA lounge as an incoming F pax? Some years ago I dids this. But I really don't know if this still works.

2) What I could try to do is to change to an earlier flight (once I arrive in LAX) but I think this is not a good solution as the system will cancel my return flight because of no-show for the originally booked flight?

B) arriving from LAS with United at +/- 12.00 pm.
Onward flight with Swiss first.
If I'm not mistaken last time I did this tour I still had to do the check-in at Swiss LAX. So untik then I don't have boarding pass and lounge entry.

At what time is LX check-in open?

The flights for >Swiss and United are ticketed separately.

Gr
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
I've been allowed to use the LAX IFL when we arrived on Air New Zealand (when they had First Class service) and transiting to Denver. You're still in transit (to LAS), so the ticket stub from your LX F boarding pass should get you in.

When you get to the IFL on your arrival from ZRH, you can ask the agents whether an itinerary for your Swiss flight will be enough to allow entry to the IFL on your return trip. We can theorize all we want on this board, but their rules are the only ones that matter.

You may be able to switch to an earlier UA flight to LAS, depending on your fare rules. Standing by for a different flight shouldn't cause a no-show for your original flight because you're moving to another flight, not abandoning your original flight. This is something that the IFL agents can help you sort out.

It's probably better to have the IFL agents help you, rather than the ticketing agents in the UA lobby. They will have more time and motivation to help you. Please be aware that United has switched to CO's SHARES ticketing system, so they may not be able to change your ticket -- or the change may be more complicated and time-consuming than it used to be.

Good luck! Please let us know what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.