FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Swiss International Air Lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines-502/)
-   -   Farewell to LX Business Saver (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss-international-air-lines/1327609-farewell-lx-business-saver.html)

Tyrolean Mar 22, 2012 4:47 am

Farewell to LX Business Saver

Dear Flyertalkers,

I really liked the LX Business Saver. I like to fly a bit in style. But the Status Miles were main reason to book those flights. I used them for leisure weekend trips (with wife and sometimes with the whole family).
I used them as well on business trips. The Miles and a bit of comfort were the reason to take a connecting flight instead cheap direct flights.

As now you earn a ridiculous amount of miles on these tickets I wont't use them any more. Farewell LX, it was nice.

There are so many other airlines to try out.

Status? Yes I will re-qualify with some LX savers in 2012. No milage runs though. Will decide if I will keep SEN. Those cards are overrated anyway.

gojko88 Mar 22, 2012 4:52 am

My feelings exactly. I'm a student, so my budget isn't all that great, but I like to treat myself with a bit of what I perceive as "luxury" every now and then. The business saver was a great way of earning status miles for a decent price and with lounge access to make connecting flights a bit more interesting.

Honestly, I can't see anyone flying in C intra-EU anymore.

hugolover Mar 22, 2012 4:55 am

I agree with these posts. From the UK, the J-Up is long gone but we have P/Z fares anyway which will be as affected.

This will affect LX badly, they wouldn't have these offers if they didn't have difficulties filling their premium cabins. Let's not forget that the network carriers have a terrible problem squeezing some yield out of European flights.

I never once upgraded an OS flight despite getting the offer every time on OLCI, I am sure many other Elite's did the same thing given no miles, look at the state of OS. (Not suggesting that there is a major loss of revenue from not offering miles for paid upgrades online )

Tyrolean Mar 22, 2012 5:51 am

Originally Posted by hugolover (Post 18249935)
I agree with these posts. From the UK, the J-Up is long gone but we have P/Z fares anyway which will be as affected.

This will affect LX badly, they wouldn't have these offers if they didn't have difficulties filling their premium cabins. Let's not forget that the network carriers have a terrible problem squeezing some yield out of European flights.

I never once upgraded an OS flight despite getting the offer every time on OLCI, I am sure many other Elite's did the same thing given no miles, look at the state of OS. (Not suggesting that there is a major loss of revenue from not offering miles for paid upgrades online )

This is the difference. With OS I always decline the offer. With BA I always accept as I love the extra Miles and Status Credits!

AHN Mar 22, 2012 6:37 am

I agree with the previous posts. My employer insists on economy tickets only, and I paid the upgrades with my own money because I thought the Business Saver was worth it. With the reduction in mileage earning it will longer be worth it for me.

LX was never very attractive in economy, so farewell to Business Saver is also farewell to LX, and probably M&M since I mainly fly European routes and the Business saver was my way to reach SEN.

oliver2002 Mar 22, 2012 6:41 am

When I was doing my requal to SEN with very many V and a couple of Z tickets last year, the idea of a LX business saver did cross my mind, but in the end I topped up the balance using a US Air domestic A fare, much cheaper.

RTW1 Mar 22, 2012 7:08 am

I looked at the LX business savers several times.... but never could justify the additional expense (except maybe in combination with the mychoice promo that was running last year).

I get the same benefits (Business check-in and lounges) that I already have due to status. So it's basically the same as an Economy fare with just an empty seat next to you and a slightly better meal. For flights that normally last not more than an hour or so, not really worth paying twice or triple the cost. Ans in a lot of cases also having a connection...

I will however miss the miles for those connecting Business longhauls.

AHN Mar 22, 2012 7:26 am

I fly 60 to 100 European flights a year, but hardly any intercontinental. It's not enough to qualify for SEN, but enough to benefit greatly from being *G. That is why the miles from the LX Business Saver was so attractive. Once I reached SEN I stayed with the LH group for all my other flights.

The Business Saver ensured that LH/LX/OS got all my economy bookings as well.

more4less Mar 22, 2012 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Tyrolean (Post 18249920)
Dear Flyertalkers,

I really liked the LX Business Saver. I like to fly a bit in style. But the Status Miles were main reason to book those flights. I used them for leisure weekend trips (with wife and sometimes with the whole family).
I used them as well on business trips. The Miles and a bit of comfort were the reason to take a connecting flight instead cheap direct flights.

As now you earn a ridiculous amount of miles on these tickets I wont't use them any more. Farewell LX, it was nice.

Status? Yes I will re-qualify with some LX savers in 2012. No milage runs though. Will decide if I will keep SEN. Those cards are overrated anyway.

+1

I could not describe my position towards LX Business Saver any better!

IAN-UK Mar 23, 2012 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover (Post 18249935)

There's always a lot of hot air on these threads on the lines of "I will move my business elsewhere and the airline will suffer".

I made no such threat, but since SWISS stopped business-saver fares from the UK, the airline's revenue has certainly dropped (OK, by an infintessimal amount :() as I shifted away from travellin LX around Europe in business-saver via ZRH to direct flights in Y with other airlines.

Without the miles, the faff of transferring through ZRH was simply not worth it.

Concerto Mar 24, 2012 2:57 pm

Well, it certainly motivates one to start looking at the alternatives, and, amazingly, there are still a few other options. I am looking forward to getting started with Air Berlin (having never flown them) following their propitious entry into oneworld. Honestly, if there's no motivation, I won't buy those business savers, unless they offer them at 50% off like they do from time to time.

I am becoming less and less averse to the low cost airlines too, with some decent recent flights with bmibaby (BHX) and Ryanair (LBA).

kai.lileboo Mar 24, 2012 7:25 pm

You are right

[QUOTE=Tyrolean;18249920]Dear Flyertalkers,

I really liked the LX Business Saver. I like to fly a bit in style...

I feel the same.
LX started offering this promotion some 3-4 years ago with a 75 eur per direction from Eco to Business.
The food was poor, the seating comfort same as in economy but middle seat empty. The only reason was that you could get 2000 miles. That was 10.000 if you had connecting flights. Now this is 135 eur more per direction and no improvement.
You can see my post about M&M new policy. It is unacceptable.
I am seriously thinking to join another carrier FF.
Last but not least, I have been SEN for 13 consecutive years, and LH told me I have to be over 60 to be able to get a lifetime status. But how many years could I possibly fly with 60+...

gojko88 Mar 25, 2012 5:09 am

Originally Posted by kai.lileboo (Post 18249920)
But how many years could I possibly fly with 60+...

This is a particularly insulting one. "We'll only give you lifetime status once we're certain that you can't use it for more than 20 years". I'm surprised they haven't yet included terminally ill people as well.

Rudi Mar 25, 2012 5:24 am

I have to be over 60 to be able to get a lifetime status. But how many years could I possibly fly with 60+...

I really enjoy my life long Senator status (and so does my wife profiting intensively from the 50% discount on award tickets) and tend so for many more years to come :p

Tyrolean Mar 25, 2012 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Rudi (Post 18268797)
I really enjoy my life long Senator status (and so does my wife profiting intensively from the 50% discount on award tickets) and tend so for many more years to come :p

Hi Rudi,
you cited me a bit wrong. Sure I hope, you have many years of enjoying your Life Time SEN. For me it is out of sight, as I have over 20 years before I reach 60! Will be Life Time QF-Gold in a few years. Hopefully Oneworld, QF and me survive some time...

totti Mar 25, 2012 6:03 am

Well said Tyrolean! The additional miles are/were not the main reason for me to book Business Savers but they were certainly an incentive. I am not sure if I am willing to pay for the upgrades in future and will definitely think twice... LX/LH will definitely loose some of my business next in the upcoming years. However, being currently based in Germany there are not so many alternatives for intra-european travel.

kai.lileboo Mar 25, 2012 11:00 am

I know people from skyteam and they got lifetime kl af platinum status really quickly.. They are all less then 40 ...
Will definitely reconsider sen status in the future

MichielR Mar 25, 2012 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by kai.lileboo (Post 18270097)
I know people from skyteam and they got lifetime kl af platinum status really quickly.. They are all less then 40 ...
Will definitely reconsider sen status in the future

I'm one of those. Ten years of platinum at more than 90 segements per year in most cases and now lifetime. Biggest advantage is not "having" to fly ST anymore to enjoy status. Example: number of ST flights YTD: 1 (but more coming). maybe back to ST when AF and KL have their full flat C seats.

By this benchmark, LH are doing the right thing to keep people flying LH.

ralfkrippner Mar 26, 2012 5:33 am

If I could get a biz saver to my most frequent european destination IST I usually booked LX for the status + HON circle miles. As both is gone now, no more reason for this. I'll take a (much cheaper+better service) TK nonstop or just the best scheduled/best priced flight in the future.

GBM.flights Mar 26, 2012 10:12 am

Dear Flyertalkers,

+1 on all counts. SEN is now good only for the 50% companion award in my book.
I won't send a Swiss cent more to LX (and therefore LH) as of September, I cannot justify it without the miles (especially if the earnings in other FFPs follow quickly).

GBM