Farewell to LX Business Saver

Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Farewell to LX Business Saver

Dear Flyertalkers,

I really liked the LX Business Saver. I like to fly a bit in style. But the Status Miles were main reason to book those flights. I used them for leisure weekend trips (with wife and sometimes with the whole family).
I used them as well on business trips. The Miles and a bit of comfort were the reason to take a connecting flight instead cheap direct flights.

As now you earn a ridiculous amount of miles on these tickets I wont't use them any more. Farewell LX, it was nice.

There are so many other airlines to try out.

Status? Yes I will re-qualify with some LX savers in 2012. No milage runs though. Will decide if I will keep SEN. Those cards are overrated anyway.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:52 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
My feelings exactly. I'm a student, so my budget isn't all that great, but I like to treat myself with a bit of what I perceive as "luxury" every now and then. The business saver was a great way of earning status miles for a decent price and with lounge access to make connecting flights a bit more interesting.

Honestly, I can't see anyone flying in C intra-EU anymore.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with these posts. From the UK, the J-Up is long gone but we have P/Z fares anyway which will be as affected.

This will affect LX badly, they wouldn't have these offers if they didn't have difficulties filling their premium cabins. Let's not forget that the network carriers have a terrible problem squeezing some yield out of European flights.

I never once upgraded an OS flight despite getting the offer every time on OLCI, I am sure many other Elite's did the same thing given no miles, look at the state of OS. (Not suggesting that there is a major loss of revenue from not offering miles for paid upgrades online )
Old Mar 22, 2012, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hugolover
I agree with these posts. From the UK, the J-Up is long gone but we have P/Z fares anyway which will be as affected.

This will affect LX badly, they wouldn't have these offers if they didn't have difficulties filling their premium cabins. Let's not forget that the network carriers have a terrible problem squeezing some yield out of European flights.

I never once upgraded an OS flight despite getting the offer every time on OLCI, I am sure many other Elite's did the same thing given no miles, look at the state of OS. (Not suggesting that there is a major loss of revenue from not offering miles for paid upgrades online )
This is the difference. With OS I always decline the offer. With BA I always accept as I love the extra Miles and Status Credits!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 6:37 am
AHN

Programs: SK EBG
I agree with the previous posts. My employer insists on economy tickets only, and I paid the upgrades with my own money because I thought the Business Saver was worth it. With the reduction in mileage earning it will longer be worth it for me.

LX was never very attractive in economy, so farewell to Business Saver is also farewell to LX, and probably M&M since I mainly fly European routes and the Business saver was my way to reach SEN.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 6:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
When I was doing my requal to SEN with very many V and a couple of Z tickets last year, the idea of a LX business saver did cross my mind, but in the end I topped up the balance using a US Air domestic A fare, much cheaper.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 7:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I looked at the LX business savers several times.... but never could justify the additional expense (except maybe in combination with the mychoice promo that was running last year).

I get the same benefits (Business check-in and lounges) that I already have due to status. So it's basically the same as an Economy fare with just an empty seat next to you and a slightly better meal. For flights that normally last not more than an hour or so, not really worth paying twice or triple the cost. Ans in a lot of cases also having a connection...

I will however miss the miles for those connecting Business longhauls.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 7:26 am
AHN

Programs: SK EBG
I fly 60 to 100 European flights a year, but hardly any intercontinental. It's not enough to qualify for SEN, but enough to benefit greatly from being *G. That is why the miles from the LX Business Saver was so attractive. Once I reached SEN I stayed with the LH group for all my other flights.

The Business Saver ensured that LH/LX/OS got all my economy bookings as well.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:34 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Tyrolean
Dear Flyertalkers,

I really liked the LX Business Saver. I like to fly a bit in style. But the Status Miles were main reason to book those flights. I used them for leisure weekend trips (with wife and sometimes with the whole family).
I used them as well on business trips. The Miles and a bit of comfort were the reason to take a connecting flight instead cheap direct flights.

As now you earn a ridiculous amount of miles on these tickets I wont't use them any more. Farewell LX, it was nice.

There are so many other airlines to try out.

Status? Yes I will re-qualify with some LX savers in 2012. No milage runs though. Will decide if I will keep SEN. Those cards are overrated anyway.
+1

I could not describe my position towards LX Business Saver any better!
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by hugolover
There's always a lot of hot air on these threads on the lines of "I will move my business elsewhere and the airline will suffer".

I made no such threat, but since SWISS stopped business-saver fares from the UK, the airline's revenue has certainly dropped (OK, by an infintessimal amount ) as I shifted away from travellin LX around Europe in business-saver via ZRH to direct flights in Y with other airlines.

Without the miles, the faff of transferring through ZRH was simply not worth it.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Mar 24, 2012 at 5:42 am
Old Mar 24, 2012, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Well, it certainly motivates one to start looking at the alternatives, and, amazingly, there are still a few other options. I am looking forward to getting started with Air Berlin (having never flown them) following their propitious entry into oneworld. Honestly, if there's no motivation, I won't buy those business savers, unless they offer them at 50% off like they do from time to time.

I am becoming less and less averse to the low cost airlines too, with some decent recent flights with bmibaby (BHX) and Ryanair (LBA).
Old Mar 24, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meli Platinum
Thumbs down You are right

[QUOTE=Tyrolean;18249920]Dear Flyertalkers,

I really liked the LX Business Saver. I like to fly a bit in style...

I feel the same.
LX started offering this promotion some 3-4 years ago with a 75 eur per direction from Eco to Business.
The food was poor, the seating comfort same as in economy but middle seat empty. The only reason was that you could get 2000 miles. That was 10.000 if you had connecting flights. Now this is 135 eur more per direction and no improvement.
You can see my post about M&M new policy. It is unacceptable.
I am seriously thinking to join another carrier FF.
Last but not least, I have been SEN for 13 consecutive years, and LH told me I have to be over 60 to be able to get a lifetime status. But how many years could I possibly fly with 60+...
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:09 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kai.lileboo
But how many years could I possibly fly with 60+...
This is a particularly insulting one. "We'll only give you lifetime status once we're certain that you can't use it for more than 20 years". I'm surprised they haven't yet included terminally ill people as well.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:24 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Tyrolean
I have to be over 60 to be able to get a lifetime status. But how many years could I possibly fly with 60+...
I really enjoy my life long Senator status (and so does my wife profiting intensively from the 50% discount on award tickets) and tend so for many more years to come
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rudi
I really enjoy my life long Senator status (and so does my wife profiting intensively from the 50% discount on award tickets) and tend so for many more years to come
Hi Rudi,
you cited me a bit wrong. Sure I hope, you have many years of enjoying your Life Time SEN. For me it is out of sight, as I have over 20 years before I reach 60! Will be Life Time QF-Gold in a few years. Hopefully Oneworld, QF and me survive some time...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.