Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:10 am
Was eufto

Programs: UA 1K, AS Gold, Marriott/SPG Plat, IC RA, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I'm on two separate LX tickets on two LX-operated flights:
- Ticket 1: LHR-ZRH (Terminal D/E)
- Ticket 2: ZRH-USA (JFK, specifically) (Terminal E)

Time-between fliights: 75 mins
I will have checked baggage.

After reviewing this thread, it seems like I would have no problem if this was a single ticket (D/E -> E is easy!). However, I have two separate tickets.

Does anyone have experience with LX being willing to check my luggage all the way through on both segments?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: LXFF
Just advise them at the check in in LHR and there won’t be any issues.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:25 pm
Was eufto

Programs: UA 1K, AS Gold, Marriott/SPG Plat, IC RA, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Hertz PC
@ced_lx: thanks for the reassurance! I was hoping that would be the case... cheers!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: LXFF
Feel free to check the luggage tags as you see you suitcases start their journey. One time I was checking in for a TXL-ZRH flight. A few days in Zurich then on to YUL. I happen to notice the agent in TXL was checking my luggage all the way to YUL...
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by eufto
I'm on two separate LX tickets on two LX-operated flights:
- Ticket 1: LHR-ZRH (Terminal D/E)
- Ticket 2: ZRH-USA (JFK, specifically) (Terminal E)

Time-between fliights: 75 mins
I will have checked baggage.

After reviewing this thread, it seems like I would have no problem if this was a single ticket (D/E -> E is easy!). However, I have two separate tickets.

Does anyone have experience with LX being willing to check my luggage all the way through on both segments?
Originally Posted by ced_lx
Just advise them at the check in in LHR and there won’t be any issues.

I am considering a very similar situation. After staying with friends in Zurich for a week or so we will go to Malaga ZRH-AGP-ZRH, and we are looking at a few days in Rome so possibly fly the same/next day ZRH-FCO-ZRH. I had planned a night at Zurich airport to eliminate any check-thru issues with the separate tickets, but this seems unnecessary based on this thread. I hold *G status so am happy for 2-3 hours transit at ZRH in the LX/*G lounge.

Question 1. For those familiar with the LX check-in staff at Malaga (AGP), can I assume that they will be able/willing to check us and bags through to FCO? I am somewhat cautious of the willingness of smaller outstations with (likely) contracted staff to be as accommodating as those at bigger airports.

Question 2. For those familiar with southern Spain, my ideal routing is ZRH-SVQ (WK) //AGP-ZRH (LX). Friends in Seville will drive us to Malaga. However the 0630 WK flight (LX codeshare) is quite early for us these days and so we'd need an a hotel night prior to departure. As an alternative, I was looking at a simple return ZRH-AGP-ZRH and then taking a bus or train from Malaga Airport to Seville, with the return via our friends. The simple return to AGP is more costly (CHF 100 per pax), but better timed. And we would need the train/bus fare Malaga to Seville. So, overall the costs are not too different for either solution.

Any thoughts on which option you would prefer from 1. ZRH-SVQ (WK)//AGP-ZRH (LX) + hotel in Zurich or 2. ZRH-AGP-ZRH (LX) + train/bus Malaga-Seville ?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Since you would be doing openjaw, why not go to Rome directly from AGP and then return to Zurich? Would that be too expensive?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Since you would be doing openjaw, why not go to Rome directly from AGP and then return to Zurich? Would that be too expensive?
Hi Fabo.sk Yes, the LX website indeed gave very high prices with such options, and also the ZRH-SVQ (vv) was an infrequent service. Also looked at multi-sector ZRH-AGP//AGP-(ZRH)-FCO//FCO-ZRH, but the pricing was all in full Y ! By the time I looked again later in the same day the fares ZRH-AGP-ZRH had jumped from CHF 220 per pax to CHF 275, and at a less desirable timing.

In the end we shifted the dates around a little to lower the costs and so to first have 3 nights quick trip to Rome ZRH-FCO-ZRH (CHF 160 per pax return), then stay again one night with friends in Zurich, finally longer 9 days visit to Spain ZRH-AGP-ZRH (CHF 200 per pax return). Friends in Seville kindly offered to bring us from Malaga to Seville back.

The flight timing meant that it was not possible to fly FCO-ZRH and then ZRH-AGP later on the same day. Pity, as that would have been the perfect solution. The only bright spot is that we could leave one large luggage with friends in Zurich while in Italy, although I do worry that Mrs TK may start shopping enthusiastically - it is her first ever trip to Europe...

Cheers, TK
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:40 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Hi Fabo.sk Yes, the LX website indeed gave very high prices with such options, and also the ZRH-SVQ (vv) was an infrequent service. Also looked at multi-sector ZRH-AGP//AGP-(ZRH)-FCO//FCO-ZRH, but the pricing was all in full Y ! By the time I looked again later in the same day the fares ZRH-AGP-ZRH had jumped from CHF 220 per pax to CHF 275, and at a less desirable timing.

In the end we shifted the dates around a little to lower the costs and so to first have 3 nights quick trip to Rome ZRH-FCO-ZRH (CHF 160 per pax return), then stay again one night with friends in Zurich, finally longer 9 days visit to Spain ZRH-AGP-ZRH (CHF 200 per pax return). Friends in Seville kindly offered to bring us from Malaga to Seville back.

The flight timing meant that it was not possible to fly FCO-ZRH and then ZRH-AGP later on the same day. Pity, as that would have been the perfect solution. The only bright spot is that we could leave one large luggage with friends in Zurich while in Italy, although I do worry that Mrs TK may start shopping enthusiastically - it is her first ever trip to Europe...

Cheers, TK
Did you consider booking a open jaw ticket ZRH-AGP (orSVQ) // FCO-ZRH? There are a number of airlines that operate directly between AGP/SVQ and FCO (namely FR, VY and AZ). I guess a separate o/w ticket could be cheaper and a lot more convenient than transiting via ZRH including a forced night stop there.

Question 2. For those familiar with southern Spain, my ideal routing is ZRH-SVQ (WK) //AGP-ZRH (LX). Friends in Seville will drive us to Malaga. However the 0630 WK flight (LX codeshare) is quite early for us these days and so we'd need an a hotel night prior to departure. As an alternative, I was looking at a simple return ZRH-AGP-ZRH and then taking a bus or train from Malaga Airport to Seville, with the return via our friends. The simple return to AGP is more costly (CHF 100 per pax), but better timed. And we would need the train/bus fare Malaga to Seville. So, overall the costs are not too different for either solution.
Be careful with WK, because depending on how you book this flight you might end up without any *G entitlements!
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cas_de
Did you consider booking a open jaw ticket ZRH-AGP (orSVQ) // FCO-ZRH? There are a number of airlines that operate directly between AGP/SVQ and FCO (namely FR, VY and AZ). I guess a separate o/w ticket could be cheaper and a lot more convenient than transiting via ZRH including a forced night stop there.
Yes. But happy with the LX fares for both ZRH-AGP-ZRH and ZRH-FCO-ZRH based on the searching I did. Sure, some premium but acceptable for us.

Originally Posted by cas_de
Be careful with WK, because depending on how you book this flight you might end up without any *G entitlements!
Thanks, good advice here and we stayed with LX for good or ill!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC
LHR-ZRH-HKG: changing to an earlier connection

I have a question which I should be grateful for any advice/opinion on.

I am on LX327 LHR-ZRH and then subsequently taking LX138 ZRH-HKG with a 75 min connection time in between. The flights are on business and on one ticket.

I have recently discovered that LX327 is often delayed, so I am concerned that I will not make my second flight.

If I arrive early at LHR, does anyone know if LX would be willing to move me to an earlier flight if there is space available on that earlier flight?

This is usually doable on OW but I do have status there, but not on Star Alliance.

I have emailed LX but have not received a response. Would be grateful for the group's opinion and whether it is worth me rescheduling my business meetings to ensure I get to LHR early.

Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by as38
I have a question which I should be grateful for any advice/opinion on.
I am on LX327 LHR-ZRH and then subsequently taking LX138 ZRH-HKG with a 75 min connection time in between. The flights are on business and on one ticket.
I have recently discovered that LX327 is often delayed, so I am concerned that I will not make my second flight.
If I arrive early at LHR, does anyone know if LX would be willing to move me to an earlier flight if there is space available on that earlier flight?
This is usually doable on OW but I do have status there, but not on Star Alliance.
I have emailed LX but have not received a response. Would be grateful for the group's opinion and whether it is worth me rescheduling my business meetings to ensure I get to LHR early.
Thanks
I would not worry too much, the ZRH-GRU/HKG/TLV/JNB/SIN flights are the last ones departing ZRH and very often wait for connecting passengers. It is also very likely that you will not be the only one that connects from LX327, also increasing the chances that LX138 will wait. I have personally made 25-30 min connections for ZRH-SIN and ZRH-JNB flights leaving at the same time than ZRH-HKG without a problem. If the connection is really tight, LX provides a direct transfer from your flight to Terminal E where LX138 typically departs. Of course, if LX327 is 2 hours late, then it is unlikely that LX138 will wait.
Concerning your questions to be put on an earlier flight, LX typically does not do this for free (maybe if you are HON), unless you have a ticket that allows rebooking and the booking class on the earlier flight is available (and depending on the rebooking conditions, you pay the fee).
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Viennafly
I would not worry too much, the ZRH-GRU/HKG/TLV/JNB/SIN flights are the last ones departing ZRH and very often wait for connecting passengers. It is also very likely that you will not be the only one that connects from LX327, also increasing the chances that LX138 will wait. I have personally made 25-30 min connections for ZRH-SIN and ZRH-JNB flights leaving at the same time than ZRH-HKG without a problem. If the connection is really tight, LX provides a direct transfer from your flight to Terminal E where LX138 typically departs. Of course, if LX327 is 2 hours late, then it is unlikely that LX138 will wait.
Concerning your questions to be put on an earlier flight, LX typically does not do this for free (maybe if you are HON), unless you have a ticket that allows rebooking and the booking class on the earlier flight is available (and depending on the rebooking conditions, you pay the fee).
Wow, what a great and detailed answer. Thanks so much, super helpful!!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by Viennafly
I am due to transfer in ZRH coming in from CDG on LX645.
Original connection time is 45 minutes,, but checking flightstats shows that LX645 is 90% of the time late by 15-25 minutes, making my connection very tight.

Except from the above, does anyone else have any experience transferring to E gates with only 30 minutes? (flying business class will help?)
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by ELAL
I am due to transfer in ZRH coming in from CDG on LX645.
Original connection time is 45 minutes,, but checking flightstats shows that LX645 is 90% of the time late by 15-25 minutes, making my connection very tight.

Except from the above, does anyone else have any experience transferring to E gates with only 30 minutes? (flying business class will help?)
I'd say flying Business class would only help to make the transfer a bit less rushed, especially in case of a bus position (probably you'll get a Gate, then the difference between C and Y would only be that you'd be out of the airplane a bit quicker)

If your incoming flight is delayed, LX will probably have a bus transfer ready (which means you'll wait for everyone else.. since plenty of pax will connect to the several late departures from the E gates) - to be honest, if you arrive at a lower A-Gate like A63, knowing where you're going to, you'll be quicker by simply walking + elevator down to passport check, Heidi train, and up at the E Gates again vs. waiting for the last Y pax.. I'd still take the transfer bus (if they've your name/flight shown) since that would basically make sure they'll wait.

Long haul departures usually wait quite a bit (the night flight ban in ZRH isn't very strict) for connecting pax. Unless your incoming flight is terrible late (up to 30min will mean you can still make it!) I'd not worry much.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Hi Everyone

Will be Flying YUL-ZRH-LHR in J in a few weeks. I want to use the Arrivals Lounge so I know I cannot stay airside. My question is how long does security typically take at ZRH. My flight to LHR leaves at 10.20, so what time should I try to get through security? Is there a fast-track line for J passengers?

Hope this isn't off topic, it is a transfer but the going landside bit makes it slightly different. I know there are airside lounges but I prefer the Arrivals Lounge.

Thanks in advance

YXEG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.