Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:20 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by Happy
Hi all,

We have a economy LX ticket LED-ZRH-NCE with 45 min connection at ZUR.

Will need to check a bag each at LED due to our bags are the US standard size carryon that would not meet both the dimension and weight requirement of the intra-EU flights.

I suppose baring any delay at LED, both our bags and us would make it to Nice on the booked flight? The next ZRH-NCE flight is 4 hours later on the same day, arriving after 10pm versus the currently booked one arriving right after 6pm.

Anybody knows which gate area the NCE flights normally depart? We know the arrival most likely at D gates as the first port of entry.
Hi there

the connection should be no issue at all, ZRH is very easy to transfer in.
You should be arriving in D where you'll go through security and passport control. The flight to NCE will depart from A (most likely) or B.

Gate to Gate I'd expect 15-20 minutes at max. Bags should definitely make it as well.

Have a good flight.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:11 pm

Programs: A3,AA,AF,B6,DL,UA
Don't have a Swiss flight, but asking this here since it involves ZRH.

Is there fast track immigration in Zurch and if there is, do passengers flying SQ Suites from Singapore to Zurich get fast track immigration?

We have tickets from Singapore to Zurich and the flight lands at 7:50AM. We were thinking about booking Air France La Premiere back to the US, but the AF flight to Paris would leave Zurich at 9:40AM and before connecting to that flight we'd need to pass through immigration. Not sure if we'd have enough time? Layover would be 1hr 50mins if there's no delay on the inbound flight.

We are US citizens on US passports, so none of those fancy e-gates they have at some Shengen airports for us.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 3:01 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by crtravels
Don't have a Swiss flight, but asking this here since it involves ZRH.

Is there fast track immigration in Zurch and if there is, do passengers flying SQ Suites from Singapore to Zurich get fast track immigration?

We have tickets from Singapore to Zurich and the flight lands at 7:50AM. We were thinking about booking Air France La Premiere back to the US, but the AF flight to Paris would leave Zurich at 9:40AM and before connecting to that flight we'd need to pass through immigration. Not sure if we'd have enough time? Layover would be 1hr 50mins if there's no delay on the inbound flight.

We are US citizens on US passports, so none of those fancy e-gates they have at some Shengen airports for us.
There is no fast track for passport control at ZRH and frankly it's not needed.

If you have no checked bags you will only have to go through passport control after taking the train from E to A/B, where your Air France flight departs. Getting the BP should he easy at the transfer desk. All in all very doable with no checked bags. Gate to gate I'd expect 20-30min.

If you do have checked bags you'd have to exit the airport and recheck them and for that the time might be a little tight, although it could be doable. But not a risk I'd be willing to take.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:52 am
Suspended

I'm flying from ZRH to Canada on LX. How long before departure does the gate close? (Flying in economy class as *G in case it matters.)
Old Apr 7, 2021, 6:51 pm

Trying to understand the transit rules for US citizens at Zurich and hoping somebody can confirm my logic before locking in availability on LX from ZRH-USA... we have two trips planned this summer, contingent on what is allowed:
  • Option 1: ATH-ZRH-USA; if they open per their latest guidance to all nations on May 14th
  • Option2: TBS-IST-ZRH-USA
In the current state, both of the above are fine I believe. I know it's speculative, but my concern with the first option is that if Greece does open and the rest of the EU does not, they could change the policy on flights from ATH. It's a schengen-schengen flight, and it would be impossible to keep out non-EU nationals once in Greece. This could theoretically make me unable to enter even for transit, so the solution there would be either:
  1. Switzerland adjusts and treats flights from ATH like non-schengen
  2. They don't adjust and I'm unable to board ATH-ZRH as a non-EU national, I book a positioning flight ATH-IST-ZRH (adds a bit of unnecessary travel)

Is the above the correct thinking? Just trying to proactively plan contingencies.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 12:03 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Option 2 is definitely fine. Understand that you must remain airside in the Non-Schengen zone at ZRH, which right now offers very few amenities.

Option 1 should also be fine assuming that you managed to legally enter Greece. Once Greece lets you in, you are in the Schengen space and you are certainly free to fly out of it again via ZRH. Note that Greece currently is on the Swiss quarantine list, which means that you would need to follow strict quarantine protocols should you want to go landside in ZRH. If you stay airside and transfer straight to the USA, you will be fine. (In the unlikely case that Greece's border policies temporarily exclude it from the Schengen space, then ATH-ZRH-USA would be similar to Option 2).
Old Apr 8, 2021, 2:41 am

I'd take all advise with lots of salt, though. And prepare to get PCR tests done before taking any flight. It's just an ugly mess with often changing requirements. Ideally, you've gotten your vaccination by then and they have streamlines the IATA rules, but I'd not set my money onto that.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by airoli
Option 2 is definitely fine. Understand that you must remain airside in the Non-Schengen zone at ZRH, which right now offers very few amenities.
So when you say very few amenities, I noticed Swiss just opened up a lounge (no food or drinks though), however does anybody know if the showers are open?
Old Apr 8, 2021, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by encierro98
So when you say very few amenities, I noticed Swiss just opened up a lounge (no food or drinks though), however does anybody know if the showers are open?
I have no information about if the showers are open or not; however, the lounge is located in the Schengen area which means that you need to be eligible to enter Switzerland to access the lounge. All lounges in the non-Schengen area remains closed.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 9:04 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
and the lounge in the Schengen area is just a waiting area...no food and drinks are offered, not even as take away like for example in the LH lounges in Germany
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by airoli

Option 1 should also be fine assuming that you managed to legally enter Greece. Once Greece lets you in, you are in the Schengen space and you are certainly free to fly out of it again via ZRH. Note that Greece currently is on the Swiss quarantine list, which means that you would need to follow strict quarantine protocols should you want to go landside in ZRH. If you stay airside and transfer straight to the USA, you will be fine. (In the unlikely case that Greece's border policies temporarily exclude it from the Schengen space, then ATH-ZRH-USA would be similar to Option 2).
Great, appreciate the info. Making sure I’ve got all the backups/contingencies though out if/when the situation changes.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by partsunknown
Great, appreciate the info. Making sure I’ve got all the backups/contingencies though out if/when the situation changes.
I get conflicting information for a friend.
Given flight cancellation, she wants to fly HKG-ZRH-FCO( or MIL). She has right to enter Italy.
can she transit in ZRH.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 6:23 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by brunos
I get conflicting information for a friend.
Given flight cancellation, she wants to fly HKG-ZRH-FCO( or MIL). She has right to enter Italy.
can she transit in ZRH.
she has to enter Schengen area in Zurich...
Old Apr 12, 2021, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by BinSabai
she has to enter Schengen area in Zurich...
i understand that. But is there a Covid restriction that would disallow it?
Old Apr 12, 2021, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Is she an EU or Swiss citizen?
Does she hold a "D" type visa for Italy?
If she doesn't hold any visa or she isn't an EU citizen, is she a family member of an EU citizen ( partner, parent, children, etc... )?

If the answer to one of the questions above are "YES", she would be able to transit at Zurich
If not, the answer is "NO".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.