Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2024, 4:39 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by chris63
I have had direct ramp transfers from MAN to SIN evening connections but it was still stressful & try to avoid short connections now, my last direct ramp transfer was 2 weeks ago, my flight was running late from BKK & it became a very short connection to MUC, met at the gate by the HON service & driven to passport control & security, then back in the car & driven to the aircraft, up the stairs to the jetbridge, boarded the aircraft, doors closed & off we went
I had one recently on a 45 min European connection that became 15 min due to a delayed inbound. Both inbound and outbound were apron positions so LX had a car to drive this lowly SEN to the adjacent plane (they wouldn't let me walk on the tarmac). As my delayed GVA-ZRH flight was only feeding other LX flights, there were multiple cars waiting for short connections.

Have another 40 min connection in ZRH next week, we will see.

OT: not as nice as years ago, when LH insisted to drive me from the apron to the terminal and then straight back to the same plane.
chris63 and Vixit like this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 12:44 pm

Programs: LH HON**
Originally Posted by MichielR
OT: not as nice as years ago, when LH insisted to drive me from the apron to the terminal and then straight back to the same plane.
Was it like the Barkley ultra run, that you needed to bring back a piece of evidence that you had reached a certain point and then returned to base…? 🙂
chris63 and MichielR like this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Vixit
Was it like the Barkley ultra run, that you needed to bring back a piece of evidence that you had reached a certain point and then returned to base…? 🙂
Of course, collect the FCT Duck
MichielR and Vixit like this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I never had a direct transfer in ZRH. 45 Minute connection, incoming flight landed 15 minutes late at remote stand and by the time I was on the bus to the terminal the US flight was already boarding at E. Just a stressful and unpleasant experience. At FRA or MUC someone would have picked us up and driven directly over to the gate.
I have had numerous direct transfers in ZRH. Strange they did not offer it. Perhaps they already knew they were going to wait for several late pax and there was no ‘rush’?
Old Apr 13, 2024, 1:02 pm

LAX-ZRH-VCE short connection

Economy award tix LAX-ZRH-VCE worried about 1 3/4 hr connection in May. FA shows LAX/ZRH flight delayed about 1/3 of time. US citizens.
Because of draconian carry-on restrictions might have to check bag.
Thoughts about us and luggage making it?
Appears connection would be terminal E to A. TIA
(ps would be giving up PE award tix on A380 through LHR to take Swiss as even more concerned about short connection at LHR and tech issues with A380)

Last edited by alisohn; Apr 13, 2024 at 1:36 pm
Old Apr 13, 2024, 2:17 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by alisohn
Economy award tix LAX-ZRH-VCE worried about 1 3/4 hr connection in May. FA shows LAX/ZRH flight delayed about 1/3 of time. US citizens.
(ps would be giving up PE award tix on A380 through LHR to take Swiss as even more concerned about short connection at LHR and tech issues with A380)
Even baggage transfer is unlikely to be missed unless delay is at least 3/4h-1h. You yourselves have about 15-20 minutes even over that.
alisohn likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by alisohn
Seems like you are a nervous person. Should be no concern whatsoever, and unless you are connecting to a same-day cruise the problem will be for Swiss to solve (if there is one).
My comments: If a flight is delayed 1/3 of the time then it is on-time 2/3 of the time
What is "draconian" about LX carry-on restrictions? I have literally never had an issue with my carry-on's
Tech issues on the A380? There can be tech issues on any aircraft. What makes you think the (BA I assume) A380 is worse than any other?
Old Apr 13, 2024, 4:19 pm

sbams theres an entire thread about BA A380 delays. And looking at FA we would have missed our connection about 2/3 of the time the past month on BA A380. If I had known this I never would have booked it.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL, M&M
Upcoming F flight BOS-ZRH-LCY; do I have to clear immigration/customs or security in ZRH ? Am hoping to just spend the time in FCL E but haven’t connected through ZRH before.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johnm266
Upcoming F flight BOS-ZRH-LCY; do I have to clear immigration/customs or security in ZRH ? Am hoping to just spend the time in FCL E but haven’t connected through ZRH before.
You will be met by the F arrival service, tell them you want to stay in E, go to FCLE but you then need to make your own way to D where LCY departs from, plus there is security to D gates but no immigration.
johnm266 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 11:13 am

Programs: DL, M&M
Originally Posted by chris63
You will be met by the F arrival service, tell them you want to stay in E, go to FCLE but you then need to make your own way to D where LCY departs from, plus there is security to D gates but no immigration.

Thanks - very helpful.

Not sure if I should bump to other thread but what are the chances of getting one of the day rooms in FCLE? Scheduled to arrive at 0610.
chris63 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johnm266
Thanks - very helpful.

Not sure if I should bump to other thread but what are the chances of getting one of the day rooms in FCLE? Scheduled to arrive at 0610.
They are first come first served & only 2 but most pax do not have a long enough layover to need them, so you have a good chance.
johnm266 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 8:36 pm

Has an upcoming BCN-ZRH-SFO flight in C. Never been to ZRH airport before.
Look at the flight history, I will land at terminal A then depart from E.
Are there any security check and or immigration checkpoints in between?
Will 1h50m be sufficient?
Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2024, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by tt2.0
Has an upcoming BCN-ZRH-SFO flight in C. Never been to ZRH airport before.
Look at the flight history, I will land at terminal A then depart from E.
Are there any security check and or immigration checkpoints in between?
Will 1h50m be sufficient?
Thanks!
No security, but obviously immigration as you leave Schengen in ZRH when heading to the E Gates. 1hr50min is more than enough.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 1:11 am

We’re travelling LHR ZRH JNB in first next month. Am I right in thinking LHR flights normally leave from E gates, it looks like that from the departure boards? So our return will be E to E with no security/passports? It would be nice to have the extra time for breakfast and a shower in the lounge!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.