Search

ZRH transfer time - two itineraries

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 100k
ZRH transfer time - two itineraries

Hi,

So I have a booked LX38 leaving ZRH at 1:15pm for SFO. However, just found out I need to be in Berlin the evening before, so I'm booking on a seperate itinerary TXL-ZRH as a connection to my SFO flight. Is it OK if I get into ZRH at 12:15pm to connect to LX38@1:15pm which is on a different itinerary or should I rather fly in @10:55am?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: LH M&M Silver, BA EC, AF FB
12:15 should be ok, but with having to get from the A to E Gates, and extra US Security, you're cutting it a bit fine if there's any delay leaving TXL.

Will you have any luggage to check, or some other way of making clear to LX that you'll be in Transit if there's a delay?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Being a different itinerary, I'd book a longer buffer time than 1 hour.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 2:59 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
The train ride to E will cost you some 10 minutes, security for the US departures can eat anything between 5 minutes and 30+ minutes when in coach. In Biz hardly ever more than 5 mins.

Add 10+ minutes for the walks, assume a bus connection coming in, adding another 10-15 minutes, boarding is 30-45 minutes out, and European flights are hardly ever on time .... there's no way I'd risk that.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 6:40 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by johndeere19
Being a different itinerary, I'd book a longer buffer time than 1 hour.
I would second that unless you fly in a very high fare class and could risk missing the connection with rebooking on the next day.

If it would be on one ticket not a problem
Old Feb 12, 2011, 7:05 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Originally Posted by timj010
... or should I rather fly in @10:55am?
I think you already had some very sound advice, and on 2 separate PNR's I would not do it with only 1h, especially if you're not familiar with ZRH, although it's pretty easy.
My only point is that by flying in @10:55 that will be the return flight of the first outbound from ZRH at 7ish am therefore increasing the chance of your on time arrival back to ZRH.

I never had more than 10 min delay on ZRH-TXL-ZRH, but on 2 different PNR you'd better not defy those odds.

GBM

Last edited by GBM.flights; Feb 12, 2011 at 7:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.