Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chocolate bars served on regional LX?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2011, 5:26 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Next time you fly LX, ask (pleasantly) for some more. Last time I flew LX intra-europe C I commented to the FA how nice they are and she went away and came back a bit later without about 20 bars which she dumped on the seat next to me . I wasn't even asking for more so I was really surprised by her generosity ^
Old Mar 9, 2011, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I just flew with LX long haul and they only gave out those chocolate once, and not during snack service! The FA ran right past if you don't stretch your arm out for them. They are nice - and it's a good 'supplement' to their bad Y meals.

Btw I just opened a bar of LX's chocolate and it doesn't state any kind of info (where it's made, ingredients etc.), just thank you for flying swiss.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by XpatAdventures
They're actually made my Halba in Switzerland
... and I am wondering how someone could mistakenly take them as Nestlé/Cailler, as they certainly don't taste as good!!
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:58 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Halba chocolates

Originally Posted by cruising
... they certainly don't taste as good!!
'degustibus non disputandem!'

A success story, made in Switzerland

On 5 May 1933, Willy Hallheimer and Werner Baer founded Halba AG in Zurich with the aim of manufacturing and distributing chocolate and confectionery products.

Together with four employees, the entrepreneurs started production in Werner Baer’s apartment. Many milestones followed, such as the move of headquarters to Wallisellen in 1955, the beginning of production for Coop in 1960, factory automation from 1970 onwards, the purchase of the company by the Coop Group in 1972 and finally the merger with Coop in 2004.

Selected cocoa beans from diverse growing areas are cleaned, roasted, ground and transformed into chocolate mass. Chocolate bars and confectionery products are produced at the Wallisellen works, while the Hinwil site produces chocolates and seasonal products.

Halba homepage
Old Mar 10, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by pogonation
and came back a bit later without about 20 bars which she dumped on the seat next to me
Once the FA handed me a sealed box of these chocolate bars
Old Mar 11, 2011, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LH/LX
Once the FA handed me a sealed box of these chocolate bars
Which class did you fly?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Silver, HON, EK Gold
FA gave me about 10 the other day ^

Bad news -off chocolate for Lent
Old Mar 22, 2011, 4:24 am

If you never tasted 'real' chocolate: Any Swiss brand (bought in Switzerland or in colder countries) will taste better than most of what you can get in the US.
Just go to any supermarket in Switzerland and buy any of the Swiss brands (check if they are made in Switzerland). The cheaper german brands (like Milka, Ritter) are also good, but not ... good in my opinion.
If you want to go to the top try Spuengli (many shops in Zurich), especially try the Tagestrueffel (they are made fresh every day in the morning and sold the same day only - you need to eat them within a few days).

The main difference is the melting point. Swiss Chocolate melts usually at around 95 F, this is a bit below body temperature. Most chocolate sold in the US melts at much higher temperatures (last better in hot climate and does not melt in your suitcase), often this is done by adding paraffin (this is why sometimis biting into this mix is like eating a candle) or adding fat with a higher melting point (also does not taste good).

As a rule: Don't buy chocolate in hot countries or duty free, most manufactures change the recipe to increase the melting point.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 7:57 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Looking into the Halba choclate web page it seems that the product best comparable to the little red swiss choclates is the Swiss Confisa Lait Double Creme.

Can somebody tell me if those would be available at a typical Migros or Coop store?
Old Mar 25, 2011, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
Looking into the Halba choclate web page it seems that the product best comparable to the little red swiss choclates is the Swiss Confisa Lait Double Creme.

Can somebody tell me if those would be available at a typical Migros or Coop store?
Migros only sell their own brand, Frey. This is OK, that means substantially better than German, British or American, but not as good as the top Swiss brands.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Halba is owned by, and produces all the private label chocolate for Coop. So if you buy Coop's store brand milk chocolate, you'll probably get pretty close to the LX version. Halba, by the way, also has factory stores (Schoggihüsli) in Wallisellen & Hinwil. One place is where I used to work, the other where my family used to live.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
Those chocolate bars are AMAZING! ^
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:49 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
In case anyone missed this one.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...st-2011-a.html
Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:07 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Status chocolate will be better
Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are nice, but nothing special. There are others better chocolate out there than the ones that you get from LX. Some Swiss chocolate might be divine, but you are also paying devine prices for them. IMO Belgian chocolate is better, you can just pick the cheapest ones from any supermarket and you can enjoy the quality.

If you can get a hold of some Swedish chocolate called Marabou they are really good too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.