Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Swiss is acting against the law?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Why Swiss is acting against the law?

Can anyone explain why Swiss is acting against the law?

Saying: "We would like to point out, for good order’s sake, that SWISS is not liable for any further claims, such as overnight accommodation or any compensatory damage amounts. This is because the flights concerned have had to be cancelled for force majeure reasons, and not through any fault on SWISS’s part." Swiss acts against EU261/2004 regulation.

That's totally unacceptable from the company who wants to be perceived as reliable partner in business.

Last edited by egon.olsen; Apr 17, 2010 at 1:53 pm
Old Apr 17, 2010, 2:36 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
They're correct on the compensation part, but certainly not on the amenities / lodging part.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

That's exactly what I meant. I understand P&L protection, but to announce claims that are against the law to avoid lodging requests is IMHO intolerable.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:12 pm
Original Member

This emergency just points out the idiocy of the EU law making air carriers liable for overnight accomodations when weather or volcano "act of god" delays are completely beyond their control.

My guess is that we will see the law repealed shortly, given the losses which the airlines are experiencing as a result of this natural disaster.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

That's another point, and in my opinion, yesterday this regulation should have been suspended. But if it's still legal, all parties involved should obey those rules, and should not publish claims that are against the law.

Last edited by egon.olsen; Apr 17, 2010 at 3:33 pm
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:31 pm

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
Originally Posted by Djlawman
This emergency just points out the idiocy of the EU law making air carriers liable for overnight accomodations when weather or volcano "act of god" delays are completely beyond their control.

My guess is that we will see the law repealed shortly, given the losses which the airlines are experiencing as a result of this natural disaster.
My guess is that EU is not equal to Italy, which would be the place where indeed laws seem to have a tendency to be tailored to suit someone's past actions.

>> Please note that the same question has been asked in the Swiss Lurker Forum, so I hope we see an official reply there. (Sticky Thread)
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Djlawman

It's exactly situations like this why the law should protect the passengers. A stranded pax is in a way worse (logistically and economically) situation then any airlines with their reciprocal deals and insurance.
Plus, I bet airlines will turn to their respective governments for aid.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Lack
It's exactly situations like this why the law should protect the passengers. A stranded pax is in a way worse (logistically and economically) situation then any airlines with their reciprocal deals and insurance.
Sympathetically, I'm with the strandees. But realistically, the airlines aren't in that good shape. I'd say if the condition of the market were more sane, yes, they should pay. But somewhere back, Mr Alfred Kahn decided that cutthroat competition would be the best for everybody. That notion seeped out into the world and things haven't been the same since.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Lack
The law was designed to protect passengers for a few canceled flights here and there, not for 20,000 canceled flights per day - over a 3, 4, 5, 6, etc days.

A passenger who spent a few hundred Euros on airfare, could easily require thousands in compensation. Multiply this by millions of stranded passengers, and the numbers quickly become unmanageable.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
Sympathetically, I'm with the strandees. But realistically, the airlines aren't in that good shape. I'd say if the condition of the market were more sane, yes, they should pay. But somewhere back, Mr Alfred Kahn decided that cutthroat competition would be the best for everybody. That notion seeped out into the world and things haven't been the same since.
How would the situation look for the airlines if they leave their passengers to themselves? I doubt it would have a positive long term effect. A dent in the public image or trust can be way more costly then short term expenses.
Plus, airlines should be pretty well protected by their insurers, whilst many passengers are not, or only to a limited extend.

Originally Posted by macabus
A passenger who spent a few hundred Euros on airfare, could easily require thousands in compensation. Multiply this by millions of stranded passengers, and the numbers quickly become unmanageable.
Compensation isn't due on this occasion.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by macabus
The law was designed to protect passengers for a few canceled flights here and there, not for 20,000 canceled flights per day - over a 3, 4, 5, 6, etc days.
Dura lex, sed lex. If I make a fraud I go to jail. Simple as it is. But please explain why should it be any different for an airline?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Originally Posted by egon.olsen
Dura lex, sed lex. If I make a fraud I go to jail. Simple as it is. But please explain why should it be any different for an airline?
If you thought that Swiss has cancelled flights for their own operational reasons such as mechanical problems, or crew issues, you would be right. If Swiss airspace has been closed for safety reasons, how do you think they are commiting a fraud? Are other airlines operating in Swiss airspace? I think not.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by dh01
If you thought that Swiss has cancelled flights for their own operational reasons such as mechanical problems, or crew issues, you would be right. If Swiss airspace has been closed for safety reasons, how do you think they are commiting a fraud? Are other airlines operating in Swiss airspace? I think not.
Exactly.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

I never said Swiss commited a fraud - I only said, that regulations are binding for everybody. I'll repeat again: regulation 261 does not exclude Force Majeure, so Swiss should not put on their website claims that are against the law.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by dh01
Is it a bilateral agreement? Would you expect Swiss to back down from their rights/claims if you'd be liable for something and couldn't fulfill because of force majeure?
Or maybe there is a certain threshold point when it's ok for anyone to say Foxtrott Oscar (term courtesy of tcswede) to their customers/business partners?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.