Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Habitually lost luggage on the LAX-ZRH route

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2010, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Habitually lost luggage on the LAX-ZRH route

My luggage was lost on the LAX-ZRH route after connecting from SFO on UA last week -- this happened to a member of my immediate family very recently as well. Is there something wrong with Swiss' operations at the LAX airport? Why does LAX seem to be a black hole for checked luggage?

At the Swissport station in ZRH, I was told that management is "well aware" of the baggage problems it is having at LAX. My family and I were both traveling in F... as I live between LHR and SFO, I took LX to avoid BA's strike issues and love the onboard LX product, but if this continues there is no chance that I'll be flying with LX again.

What are your experiences with this? Why is this such a problem? And what compensation has Swiss offered you in case of heavily delayed or even lost luggage?

I still haven't gotten any concrete word on it almost a week later, and Swiss is offering exceedingly stingy temporary compensation...

Any help greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
Originally Posted by londonienne
My luggage was lost on the LAX-ZRH route
How do you know? Did you see it fall out of the plane?

after connecting from SFO on UA last week
My un-educated guess is that it did NOT connect to the LX flight in LAX.

Is there something wrong with Swiss' operations at the LAX airport? Why does LAX seem to be a black hole for checked luggage?
I think I've seen one or maybe two other carriers operating in LAX, as well as a few other companies who operate services, such as baggage handling. So it might be that LX is just a tiny little bit dependent on all those companies.

What are your experiences with this? Why is this such a problem?
I've had frequent on-time arrivals and departures with LX in LAX, but very hardly ever anthing worked as scheduled on LAX-SFO-LAX. There's always either too much wind in SFO, too little wind and consequentially fog, or ATC is down or whatever. Therefore, I'd never schedule short connections (<4h) in LAX in any direction, and haven't had my luggage lost.

Fortunately, the long lost ZRH-SFO-ZRH direct service will shortly be re-introduced (June?), so you should have a much smoother ride soon.

If I understand correctly, the bags have still not been found after a week, which is very very annoying indeed.
I would call Swiss lost luggage department daily and ask them to send a message to their colleagues in LAX , (where I'd expect your bags to be) and I'd also request to receive a copy of this request to lax.

With proper labelling on the bags, the chances of them getting permanently lost are very small. If this should really happen in your case, LX first offer is most likely going to be the standard rate per kg that they must pay you. If you had a full fare F ticket, I'd certainly not let them get away with this and write to customer service.

Last edited by LoungeLizzard; Apr 2, 2010 at 11:40 am
Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Suspect more of a UA shortfalling than LX.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:49 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
connecting at LAX or MIA to international outbond flights (in my experience be it on LH or LX or UA) so far seem to be statistically at the top of luggage problems in the USA - for several years alreadyin my experience.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Hm okay thanks for all your responses -- very very much appreciated.

I'll give the Berne office and Zrich offices regular calls to pressure them into finding out what happened. The mylostbag website just says that "tracing continues" even though it's been over a week now that my luggage has been missing.

I am beginning to desperately need some of the things that were in the lost luggage since the weather has been so cold in France. Am I within my rights to purchase replacements and send over the receipts for them to Swiss? (The net value of the delayed/lost clothing is quite high, unfortunately...)
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:35 am

Even it it is more likely that your luggage was lost at the LAX transfer then on the Swiss flight it is Swiss' responsibility to reimburse you (it is always the last carrier).
My experience is that they are quite generous, full reimbursement for all the little things like cosmetics, actual value for clothing etc.
Check with them. A few years back a friend was in a similar situation, he just took the receipts to the ticket counter at the return and got the money. Not sure if they still handle it this way or they have a different procedure. Why don't you just ask them when you call next time?

Usually if luggage misses a connection it show up after two or three days. A week is already very long and is not a good indication.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.