Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Geneva [GVA]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2019, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
I'd definitely not advise to try this.

Ask LY to rebook you via ZRH or an other nearby airport which has daily flights.
I tried, since LY Markets LX flights.
I asked to be put on LX flight GVA - ZRH 730 am
And LX operated LY flight to TLV leaving ZRH at 9:45.

LY said they won't do anything with a connection, don't know what that is supposed to mean. Anybody have any options or ideas? First leg isnt refunable.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 6:54 am

Would be grateful if you could give some advice: Will be flying on LX op by AF from CDG to GVA and connect to a flight to ZRH on LX 70 minutes later. All one ticket.

Are 70 minutes enough? Should there be time to visit the LX lounge?
How do I get from my AF plane to the LX flight? Do I have to go through security?

Thank you!
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: Miles & More SEN
The last time I've transited from CDG to ZRH via GVA, I didn't have to reclear security and I went straight to the lounge. 70 minutes is more than enough, GVA is a small airport.
plaintalk likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by allain
The last time I've transited from CDG to ZRH via GVA, I didn't have to reclear security and I went straight to the lounge. 70 minutes is more than enough, GVA is a small airport.
Thank you very much for sharing your first-hand experience.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: *A Gold, ST - E+
Hi,

In december I'll have a ZHR-GVA-EWR with a 50min connection in GVA (long story). I would like to know what to expect in GVA in terms of security and passport control (I don't know GVA airport) and how easily it might be to get from on flight to another. Also, does anyone know if ZRH-GVA usually arrives at a gate or remote position?

I've checked for alternative flights to NYC in case I miss the connection and I'll still be able to get there on the same day (provided there will be availability on other flights) but I just wanted to know how it usually works in GVA.

Thank you
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:36 am

Rest assured, there will be plenty of pax in the very same incoming aircraft as you'll be in who will be connecting to EWR.

No security on arrival to connect. Often arrival it's a gate, sometimes it's a bus (basically a gate position but then a bus..) - but even then, plenty of time.

There will be immigration (and possible some extra "security" due to your destination, but that will be at the gate, ie when you're "safe" to make your connection)

In short, unless your incoming flight is heavily delayed, this is an easy peasy connection.
miles_collector likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by miles_collector
Hi,

In december I'll have a ZHR-GVA-EWR with a 50min connection in GVA (long story). I would like to know what to expect in GVA in terms of security and passport control (I don't know GVA airport) and how easily it might be to get from on flight to another. Also, does anyone know if ZRH-GVA usually arrives at a gate or remote position?

I've checked for alternative flights to NYC in case I miss the connection and I'll still be able to get there on the same day (provided there will be availability on other flights) but I just wanted to know how it usually works in GVA.

Thank you
Assume you will be in LX2802, which is almost always an A321 that uses a proper gate. Good chance they will even pick you up at arrival to direct you into the departure lounge, without having to go down to arrivals and then back up.

The EWR flight uses buses & there is the usual passport/document check before boarding. Even with SSSS you will still be fine.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Just wondering, is there a way to transfer AYT-GVA-LCY/LHR ( single ticket, all LX ) without clearing passport control at GVA.
As I previously experienced in GVA, all passengers arriving from Turkey are bussed to the main passport control center and there isn't any way to walk to the circle satellite gates from there.

I may do that connection, but I don't want to be screwed as I might not have a Schengen visa at that time.
I am also aware that there would be no lounge access at GVA unless I enter Switzerland.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:18 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Just wondering, is there a way to transfer AYT-GVA-LCY/LHR ( single ticket, all LX ) without clearing passport control at GVA.
As I previously experienced in GVA, all passengers arriving from Turkey are bussed to the main passport control center and there isn't any way to walk to the circle satellite gates from there.

I may do that connection, but I don't want to be screwed as I might not have a Schengen visa at that time.
I am also aware that there would be no lounge access at GVA unless I enter Switzerland.
Wasn't there a way to transfer if you go left before the passport control?
I'm not sure anymore.
But I'm certainly they would find a solution to transfer you to your London flight if you have no schengen visa... What else are they gonna do? Send you back to Antalya on the next flight in a week?
Old Apr 1, 2020, 5:08 am

Programs: LH SEN, BAEC Bronze, S7 Приоритет, TrueBlue

It will depend on your nationality and other valid visa issued by other countries held. For details, see this page: https://www.eda.admin.ch/countries/t...nsit-visa.html
Old Apr 1, 2020, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Nick Art
I'm not sure anymore.
But I'm certainly they would find a solution to transfer you to your London flight if you have no schengen visa... What else are they gonna do? Send you back to Antalya on the next flight in a week?
Originally Posted by ParisMoskau
It will depend on your nationality and other valid visa issued by other countries held. For details, see this page: https://www.eda.admin.ch/countries/t...nsit-visa.html
Thank you both for your input,
If I will go to the UK, I would hold a valid visa for the United Kingdom, so I wouldn't need an airport transit visa.
However, according to my previous experiences, there was no airside transfer path at GVA from the main arrivals passport control to the B circle satellites. According to paper, I wouldn't need a transit visa, however, I might be stuck in the main passport control area.

Switzerland and many other Schengen countries had stopped issuing short-term visas at the moment so I should consider flying BA direct for a similar price. Unluckily my current Schengen visa expired a few days ago and I have no idea when I would apply for another one. And, probably, if I decide to go to London, I'll fly BA or another LCC that flies direct.

By the way, Nick Art , the WCS would be that the Swiss Authorities would probably provide me Swiss hospitality for a few hours in a room with no windows and send me back to IST with a TK flight the same day.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Nick Art
Yes, there is.

EDIT: I was wrong, there is no such way. Please refer to the post below by MichielR.

Last edited by mmff; Apr 5, 2020 at 5:59 am
Old Apr 4, 2020, 3:29 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Thank you both for your input,
If I will go to the UK, I would hold a valid visa for the United Kingdom, so I wouldn't need an airport transit visa.
However, according to my previous experiences, there was no airside transfer path at GVA from the main arrivals passport control to the B circle satellites. According to paper, I wouldn't need a transit visa, however, I might be stuck in the main passport control area.

Switzerland and many other Schengen countries had stopped issuing short-term visas at the moment so I should consider flying BA direct for a similar price. Unluckily my current Schengen visa expired a few days ago and I have no idea when I would apply for another one. And, probably, if I decide to go to London, I'll fly BA or another LCC that flies direct.

By the way, Nick Art , the WCS would be that the Swiss Authorities would probably provide me Swiss hospitality for a few hours in a room with no windows and send me back to IST with a TK flight the same day.
I don't think that scenario is realistic. After all, GVA prides itself in allowing connections and even non-schengen ones, so you can't be reasonably expected to enter schengen in a non-schengen to non schengen connections. As long as you meet all criteria for a transfer you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by mmff
Yes, there is.
And as mmff confirms, there is a way to transfer non schengen to non schengen. You'll be fine!
Old Apr 5, 2020, 1:44 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Imposible, you cannot get to the B satellites unless you start in the main departures lounge which is Schengen zone. It is at the passport control booth at the end of the tunnel that you exit Schengen. There is no path from the long haul arrivals before immigration through security to the B satellite (except perhaps for F/HON on LH/LX who can be driven - technically but not practically.
mmff likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by MichielR
Imposible, you cannot get to the B satellites unless you start in the main departures lounge which is Schengen zone. It is at the passport control booth at the end of the tunnel that you exit Schengen. There is no path from the long haul arrivals before immigration through security to the B satellite (except perhaps for F/HON on LH/LX who can be driven - technically but not practically.
You're right. I was thinking about the narrow path that you need to take after passport control and before baggage claim if you want to remain airside. I'll edit my previous post accordingly. (I have to be honest that I've not used GVA as a connecting point more than a handful of times.)
MichielR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.