Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ignore thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by UA Fan
is it possible to ignore a thread in which you have posted?
Yes. Using the method I linked to in Post #14, I "ignored" this thread successfully. Obviously, I then "un-ignored it" in order to report back my findings.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by IB-Dick
The main reason for not implimenting this is because it will slow down the forum.
Many large forums offer this capability.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Ignore thread started by a particular user?

Can the Ignore User facility by widened to include all threads started by a particular user? Having tried the function it only stops posts by that user.

I notice that particular user in one Forum* is starting about five new threads a day, such that the first page of the forum currently has 13 threads and the second page has 9 threads all started by him/her. They are basically lots of signal-to-noise, and it takes lots of data download on a phone to sift through his chaff to get to the grains of wheat!

It might be useful to be able to ignore all threads started by a particular user so as to restore the usefulness of the forum

[*Travel Products if you are curious]
Old Sep 9, 2011, 7:15 pm

That is an excellent real world example of why this functionality needs to be deployed!
Old Sep 10, 2011, 6:40 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Wink

I think the fairies have waved a magic wand and my wish has been granted
Old Aug 5, 2012, 1:22 am

Bump because this feature is still needed.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by IB-Dick
The main reason for not implimenting this is because it will slow down the forum.

When you view a forum, a query runs. For simplicity, let's call it this:

SELECT * from thread where forumid = 1;

This will list all the threads in the forum with the id of 1 (miles and points, I think). There is a lot other going on, but that's the majority of it. If we had a thread ignore feature, before that query there would first have to be a query to find out which threads in that forum you are ignoring.

SELECT threadid from userignore where forumid = 1 and userid = 12345;

Let's say that this returned the thread id 987654. Now, the first query can be ran again, excluding that forum id.

SELECT * from thread where forumid = 1 and threadid != 987654

On a small forum, this wouldn't be a big deal. On Flyertalk, this will be substantial.

If the table "threadid" is structured like a bridge table (two foreign keys and 1+ columns items per record), then why not do a left join on both tables and filter out the results of userignore.threadid that are null and where userid is the id of the desired user?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.