Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Contests??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2001, 11:47 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Travel Contests??

No one seems to know where travel contests and sweepstakes ought to be posted. Some put them in Buzz, some in General travel, some in Omni. How about a separate forum just for these. Many of us enter, some don't like to be bothered. (never figured that out, have won trips to Paris, San Francisco, and some free airline tickets!). Anyway, I think it could use a separate forum.

Djlawman
Old Mar 11, 2001, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about SPAM??? It would work if you streeeetched the "alternative miles" bit
Old Mar 11, 2001, 5:05 am
Original Member

That would be a shame - I like the contests, but I never read Spam and don't want to have to start. Personally I would put them in OMNI.
Old Mar 11, 2001, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Shouldn't they be posted in the airline or hotel that they pertain to? What is the need for a separate forum?
Old Mar 11, 2001, 5:58 am
Original Member

A lot of contests are of the 'win a trip to San Franscisco' type, and don't pertain to a specific program. However, with cases like 'win a million miles to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Delta's FF program', you are probbaly right.
Old Mar 11, 2001, 8:03 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well, I used to also think that they properly went into OMNI, barring a specific airline promo such as DL or UA, when I then posted in the respective airline fora.

After a polite objection was raised, I just decided to not bother to post them any longer so as not to bug or offend folks!

So a comment as to where to post these, if not a separate forum may well prove to be of use to us! Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2001, 4:05 pm

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
I would agree that they should be posted under the sponsor of the contest, ie, Delta, Continental, Hilton, Starwood, etc. However,
if the contest could be of universal interest, may I also suggest that it be posted in OMNI. Don't really feel that we need yet another forum.
(note to Doc--Please keep posting the contests as you find them--I'd rather read of them twice, then not notice them, and miss out on a good chance at entering.)

bj-21.
------------------
'Tis better to have played and won, then never to have played at all.

[This message has been edited by blackjack-21 (edited 03-11-2001).]
Old Mar 14, 2001, 6:45 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Well, I stand by my initial suggestion for a separate forum for us contest-addicts. I think the difference of opinion among the posters here demonstrates that there is no one good place to post them currently. And using the forum for each airline doesn't do it either--I don't fly America West or read their forum, but if there is a contest for 1 million America West miles, I would enter. So, I repeat my suggestion. And doc--PLEASE keep posting the contests. Because we can't win if we don't play. Thanks.

Djlawman
Old Mar 14, 2001, 8:23 am
doc

Thanks, DJlawman and Blackjack-21!

FWIW, here's the threat where the issue of contests and freebies came up last!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/001567.html

When people ask, I try to listen, to think and react appropriately in the best interests of everyone! Especially when it's asked so VERY nicely!

Good luck to ALL!
Old Mar 14, 2001, 6:24 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

Contests will have their own forum when we trade in the technology on this board. I had hoped it would be done already, but there seems to be some nagging problems with integration. This is no lightweight application. However, that aside, I like contests like you do and we'll make sure they have theor own home, as it is easy to see them get lost. I had considered the mandate that they belong in the home of the sponsor - Hilton, AA, etc. But the fact remains, if i can win something I really don't care who it is on....bring on the chance.
Old Mar 17, 2001, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally posted by Randy Petersen:
Contests will have their own forum when we trade in the technology on this board. I had hoped it would be done already, but there seems to be some nagging problems with integration. This is no lightweight application. However, that aside, I like contests like you do and we'll make sure they have theor own home, as it is easy to see them get lost. I had considered the mandate that they belong in the home of the sponsor - Hilton, AA, etc. But the fact remains, if i can win something I really don't care who it is on....bring on the chance.
Glad to hear about the new forum that you are planning for contests. Would it be wrong to post these notices if they pertain to a particular airline or hotel in that home board also. I don't want to add to the clutter on FT, but in this case I feel it is appropriate.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 7:18 am
doc

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Randy Petersen:

Contests will have their own forum when we trade in the technology on this board. I had hoped it would be done already, but there seems to be some nagging problems with integration. This is no lightweight application. However, that aside, I like contests like you do and we'll make sure they have theor own home, as it is easy to see them get lost. I had considered the mandate that they belong in the home of the sponsor - Hilton, AA, etc. But the fact remains, if i can win something I really don't care who it is on....bring on the chance.</font>
---

Soon to come perhaps? Thanks!

-Mark
Old Sep 14, 2003, 3:50 pm

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
I'll second (and third, and fourth, etc.) that request. Sure wish we had one easy spot to look for contests, sweepstakes, and the like. It's time for me to win my dream trip to NZ, or a new car, or...?
Posting them all in one place would sure make it easier to find the contests. Didn't we use
"Spam" forum at one time for many contest entry details?
C'mon guys, I'm running out of contests to enter (and the list is even shorter for Canadian residents ).

bj-21.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 6:38 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
But, if I post the contest, doesn't that hurt my odds to win my dream vacation?

William
Old Sep 18, 2003, 5:53 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Randy Petersen:
I had considered the mandate that they belong in the home of the sponsor - Hilton, AA, etc. But the fact remains, if i can win something I really don't care who it is on....bring on the chance.</font>
I think most people would agree. I usually post contests I find in the sponsor's forum, but sometimes I find one that I don't bother with since I don't visit those boards. Take one I found yesterday:

https://united.eprize.net/flight/

UA is giving away 40K miles per day from 8/31 to 9/30. It's not a biggie, but I think most non-UA FTer's that enter contests would enter it. I didn't post it because the contest period is over half over and it's a small prize, and I wasn't sure if it's already been posted (I know, do a search - but I never know if I'm using the right search criteria) - you know, some people get really offended with duplicate posts.

By the way, we got a picture in the mail Monday (finally) - my wife and I, Fuzzy Zoeller, and Jim Colbert. It was taken at the Sr. PGA Championship on the Big Island in January - we got to walk the course with them and their caddies during the opening round (not behind the ropes). Fuzzy Zoeller is a hilarious. Also got coach air fare (Tom Watson and Bruce Fleischer were in first on the trip going over), $500 and six nights at the Fairmont Orchid. Also got a golf lesson from Doug Tewell, 2001 Sr. Championship winner - Starwood is one of his sponsors.

My wife and I agreed that it was the best one-week vacation we ever had - and we won it through an internet contest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.