Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Go Sit in the Corner

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 1999, 9:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Not all people put an e-mail in their profile. This has been discussed many times before. But my experience of the last year, is that when a problem arises, it is usually someone without an e-mail in their profile. My conclusion is that these people refuse to let others "talk to them" privately, so things can be ironed out (maybe sometimes?). Instead they hide behind a mask. Many others do not has e-mail in their profile for their own reasons, and so that is ok too (according to plenty of people on this board). While there is lots of support for and against sensorship, at some level, it has been stated, and probably correctly, that there is no way to exclude someone, even if Randy decided too. An e-mail just allows those that want to send a message and vent their feelings.
Old Aug 13, 1999, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why Arturo, "luv" is practically my middle name!
Old Aug 13, 1999, 5:54 am
Original Member

Location: OMNI Award Winner, Recipient: Ol' Goal Personal Sootkase Tag Award. The Very Special Punki Authentic PiP Sootkase Tag, Pin, & T-Shirt. .........PRE-
arturo sea ther es no "I" en premex. so premex must "luv" awl, jus lik arturo.

where wingless?
Old Aug 13, 1999, 7:01 am
Original Member

Programs: AA2MM
premex -- is that a confession?
Old Aug 13, 1999, 6:27 pm
pgupta011

The best solution would be to let each person filter out whoever posts they do not want to read. Randy mentioned some forthcoming changes to the user interface, maybe this feature could be incorporated there as well.

Old Aug 14, 1999, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
My two cents worth:

I personally would like to see FlyerTalk start advertising itself as a moderated discussion group. Moderated discussion groups have:

- FAQs which, in addition to providing technical how-tos, describe what kinds of discussion are appropriate and what is off topic

- Administrators whose charge is to tell group members when they are getting off topic and remove their posting privileges if they keep going too far afield.

Those who prefer anarchic discussion are free to start something over on the Usenet. I have found that last couple of weeks on FlyerTalk has taken some of the fun out of it for me.

I would personally prefer to restrict FlyerTalk to members who are willing to publish an e-mail address. Many times it is more appropriate to respond to a post via a one-on-one e-mail than by posting to the whole group, and in this discussion group, we don't always have the possibility of doing so. I don't buy the argument that letting members remain active without providing an e-mail address promotes anonymity; anyone can get a free anonymous e-mail address for use on FlyerTalk at Hotmail or Yahoo if they so desire.

I have been active on CompuServe and the Internet for about 7 years now, and have been both a SysOp on CompuServe and a list administrator of a mailing list. I find the above to be the approach that works best for me.
Old Aug 14, 1999, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
One more thing: I love the idea of a "squelch" function. If it's part of UBB, please make it accessible to us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.