Wiki Posts
Search

On the Ground

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 1999, 2:25 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

On the Ground

How about a topic for things to do once you get there. Nothing necessarily to do with miles or awards. People could post info about places to eat, local hotel choices,
nightlife etc.

As the old saying went "getting there is half the fun" what about the other half?

And as special service to all you NY bound folks a food recommendation.

Old Jan 25, 1999, 3:38 pm
Commander Catcop

That's a good idea. I can also help with suggestions for New York city restaurants since I am dining out at least once a week.
CATMAN

Old Jan 26, 1999, 10:14 am
Original Member

Would either of you recommend the Box Tree?
Old Jan 26, 1999, 2:40 pm
Commander Catcop

I have NOT been there Phil. Never heard of it to be honest.

Boomer???? CATMAN
Old Jan 26, 1999, 4:19 pm
Original Member

I see this thread got off to a roaring start. pf asks for a rec on the Box Tree and Catman never heard of it. Catman, you gotta dine out more than once a week and go to new places, for our sake.
Old Jan 26, 1999, 4:30 pm
Original Member

Here is what JAWs says about the Box Tree:

"...this exquisite townhouse, deftly turned into a country inn...turns out classic French and expensive fare ..."

At least it's not street vendor "tube" steaks!
Old Jan 26, 1999, 5:53 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I never heard of the Box Tree either.

But if you like Thai food, I'll recommend
the Thai House Cafe on Hudson st, about 2 blocks south of Canal st.

Excellent food, great prices.

Old Jan 27, 1999, 12:31 am
Commander Catcop

Jaws... before I go to work... there are 10 thousand restaurants plus in NYC... yes, I dine out at least once a week and I can't go to everyone (some of the more expensive ones are overrated.)

I'll have to try this Box Tree place. But there's another good french place: Trois Canards (Three Ducks) and no, they don't just serve duck but some very good Lobster Ravoli.

And the prices are not that bad.

ALso: I don't do tube steaks. OR most fast food.

I had to post this before going to work. CATMAN
Old Jan 27, 1999, 7:29 am
Original Member

More info on the Box Tree

The Box Tree French Cuisine
250 East 49th ST
New York, NY
(212) 593-9810

phil, enjoy!!

Old Feb 2, 1999, 1:12 am
Original Member

I'd be more than happy to point out the finer point of San Francisco for interested FT'ers since thats where I'm currently living.
(I work one block from the TransAm pyramid,
City Lights Books, and a bunch of other places....).
Lots to do here for ANY interest(And I do mean *ANY*) and TONS of places to eat.

JD
Old Feb 2, 1999, 1:05 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Jet:

Maybe you can help me then.
I was in San Fran about 3 years ago, ate at a great kosher style deli, best pastrami, I've ever had in Calif(other then stuff I brought from NY). I dont remember the name of it. I think it was on Geary or O'farrell, around Mason or Taylor, on the north side of the street. It wasn't a fancy place, but the food was great.

Does this ring a bell?

Old Feb 2, 1999, 6:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Skymiles Plat, United Premier Exec
When I'm visiting San Francisco I enjoy dining at Yank Sing and/or Fog City Diner. If you like Chinese, Yank Sing has the best Dim Sum and Steamed Pork Buns and Fog City Diner has more of a continental/american flare with great onion rings.YUM!
Old Feb 4, 1999, 1:36 pm
Original Member

Boomer,
you must be talking about "David's"
which is on Geary, although I forget the exact cross-street. I lived on Geary and Hyde when I first moved here 2 years ago.

There is a small overnight hotel, the "Hotel David" right next door as well and they do combo B&B-style overnight packages of a room and full breakfast the next morning, usually as part of a theatre night type thing. It's
not too far from the A.C.T. (American Conservatory Theatre).

I agree with you, it's absolutely wonderful food.

flygirl,
Fog City is Great! They are on our catering menu here @ the studio. The Onion Strings are
truly to die for!

My favorite lunchtime place though is Tricolore on Montgomery, right next to the
TransAm pyramid! They make a good Salmon Panini.

Unfortunately, my bod shows the effects of being surrounded by such good food. :|

JD
Old Feb 5, 1999, 10:15 am
Original Member

My question about the Box Tree got the reaction I expected. Nobody ever heard of it. It was recommended to me by an acquaintance who lives and works in Manhattan (who in his/her/its right mind does that?). It's great! But they don't take credit cards, and there's no advance notice of that. Fortunately, Sally and I together had enough cash -- which was not just a little bit.
Old Feb 5, 1999, 10:17 am
Original Member

I favor the "on the ground" subject idea. The Buzz is getting so long that it becomes almost impossible to get through it in the two days (I've changed mine to five) allotted by the standard default.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.