Wiki Posts
Search

Need the ability to delete posts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2024, 1:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Need the ability to delete posts

Users should be able to delete posts like on pretty much every other forum. Even if you limited it to an hour after posting. There's plenty of times when you need to consolidate posts, remove a double post, or whan you're realized you posted in the wrong place. This is basic functionality that should be available to users.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 2:34 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
In the past (don't know if currently) there was a five minute window.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 3:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

There definitely is not one now.

I know this because I'm trying to delete this comment right now.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
When I want to delete a post, I edit it to replace the content with, "(Deleted.)" I find that a Moderator usually comes along in a day or two and deletes the post entirely.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:11 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I can't comment on the platform other websites use, and whether that techniically what is being asked for is even possible on FT, but I will say there is an element of swings-and-roundabouts here.

Most sites:
- allow deletion for a period of time
- restrict editing of posts after a period
- auto-close threads for non-activity, meaning no further changes can be made

Often, allowing unfettered deletion can completely destroy the sense of the thread because responses to pertinent information become meaningless without context. Members apply time and thought to those responses, so it's disrespectful just to effectively throw them aside.

Flyertalk does not allow deletion, but members do have the ability to edit forever (provided the thread remains open, and I'd estimate in excess of 99% of ours are due to our non-closure policy). That gives everyone the opportunity to go back and correct anything as they wish, forever. Complete deletion is possible at mod level - we have a report triangle, just use it. Moderators are never unsympathetic to genuine requests or errors.

I'm going to close this thread here. If you'd like a technical explanation on whether or not it's even possible to easily introduce a member-level deletion, please feel free to ask the question in the Tech Support forum.

NWIFlyer
Community Director
Ben will likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.