Wiki Posts
Search

We need a specific Royal Jordanian forum, not just Other Middle East Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2023, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
We need a specific Royal Jordanian forum, not just Other Middle East Airlines

There’s no separate forum for Royal Jordanian, so aside from some standalone threads, most questions are asked by being tacked on to a long thread of miscellaneous discussion which dates back to 2017 and now stands at 341 posts:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-middle-eastern-african-airlines/1829800-royal-jordanian-9.html?ispreloading=1

It’d be nice to separate out these topics into individual threads and a separate forum would help.

RJ is also a OneWorld member and offers a more attractive business class product than BA on LHR-AMM.

As an example of one particular market which has grown for RJ in recent years: numerous travelers use RJ on their way to points east (and the USA) because there are attractive fares from TLV (a bit like how BA competes with Star or Skyteam competitors by offering cheaper one-stop flights from their hubs via London.

I’ve seen discussions of this, for example, from momoflyingguy, makin'miles , Ditto , worldiswide and I’m sure others on the Middle East forum and elsewhere would welcome a dedicated RJ forum.

Last edited by salut0; Jun 6, 2023 at 12:04 pm
Old Jun 11, 2023, 2:15 am

Programs: BAEC
I would echo all that salut0 has said above, after Ethiopian (for which the suggestion has recently been made) RJ is the next most discussed airline in the Other Middle East forum. Whilst RJ doesn't have the aspirations of the ME3 it is an important regional carrier, and has a decent onboard product.
SirToby, salut0 and GUWonder like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 8:15 am

Agreed 👍🏼
salut0 and GUWonder like this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 1:53 pm

for a dedicated RJ forum.
GUWonder and salut0 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 3:49 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
yes please!
Old Aug 21, 2023, 9:07 am
Community Director Emerita

I am keeping an eye on this to see what energy there is for a separate forum.

Carol/SanDiego1K
Community Director
salut0 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 1:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by copiousone
for a dedicated RJ forum.
I agree. I remember back when there was reluctance to open the Finnair forum on FT — and the AY forum seems like a pretty lively place nowadays.

If FT wants to grow its membership substantially and increase postings from new and younger members too and better internationalize, there are changes that can try to do that. And one of those is to do things like open a dedicated RJ forum and see what follows from that. And if creating and splitting out a RJ specific forum ends up with both a too sleepy RJ forum and a too sleepy other regional airlines forum, there are ways to try to return things to the pre-split state.
salut0 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Five months since my suggesting this new forum, and the miscellaneous Royal Jordanian thread itself now has over 420 posts, up from 340 in June. That’s not counting any other threads that have been created since then.

Thoughts on a separate forum?
Old Nov 8, 2023, 1:33 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I've moved this to the next stage of consultation, which is to see whether there is enough material to seedcorn a dedicated forum, and the resource to moderate it. FT's Senior Moderator team will look at these points and make a recommendation to me.

Rob/NWIFlyer
Community Director
salut0 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 12:57 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I'm very grateful for the thoughtful way the Senior Mods have approached this - they've been very thorough in analysing the volume and type of posts about RJ. I fully support and agree with their conclusion.

I'm afraid the conclusion is that currently there's not enough volume of posts to justify a separate forum, but please allow me to put some perspective around this.

Since the start of 2023, a period of 254 days, there have been 145 posts in the main thread, plus a handful in other discrete threads. Some of those posts were casual mentions (e.g. what airlines have you flown?) rather than specific to RJ, so we're looking at well under one post per day.

If we take a smaller subset of time we see 80 posts over five months, so we are not seeing any significant increase as yet.

Here's the perspective: in our busiest forum, British Airways, we would typically reach the five month RJ post count in under a day. In UA and AA, it might take a couple of days. In Aegean, well down the list for visits and posts, we'd reach the post figure in under a month.

Whilst it's possible that the post count would increase with greater visibility, it's not credible to think it would reach anywhere near the levels of even Aegean.

It takes a great deal of effort to set up a forum, work out how to seedcorn it, and then moderate it. Currently that's not an exercise we can justify, so I'm going to decline this suggestion.

I want to thank everyone who's contributed to this thread. It's made us think about how we might deal with airlines with a smaller operation, which in itself is a good thing. As we've reached a conclusion I'm going to close this thread at this stage.

NWIFlyer/Rob
Community Director
tcook052 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.