Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > The Suggestion Box
Reload this Page >

Suspend all Russian related forums? [FT is global irrespective of politics; so no]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suspend all Russian related forums? [FT is global irrespective of politics; so no]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2022, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Until the war is over?
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:44 am
Community Director Emerita

This idea has merit. Is there any reason to NOT move ahead?
HIDDY and cblaisd like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
This idea has merit. Is there any reason to NOT move ahead?
Yes. While flights to Russia have been cut back sharply, they are still available. Any airline which offers these flights would be "Russian-related". Are we going to remove their forums? I think that I am among the strongest supporters of Ukraine in this conflict, but I don't feel that we should deny those FTers who want to fly there the opportunity to get the best information on flights, hotels, car rentals, etc. Except for Omni/PR, FT is a place where anyone can go to get travel information. Let's keep it that way.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
I totally agree with Dovster. Our main discussions are for travel-related activities, not to promote any governmental or political positions (save Omni). Some people still have to travel to Russia even if they do not support that government's decisions.

I think the censorship or closing of any fora for such reasons opens up the argument for the closing of other discussions. Besides any Russia-related travel discussions would probably move elsewhere.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Smaug
I think the censorship or closing of any fora for such reasons opens up the argument for the closing of other discussions.
Agree and when we set such a precedent it's a very slippery slope that could lead to unintended consequences.

For example, using such a yardstick a case could be made to shut down discussion on travel to or within Morocco over that country's continued occupation of neighboring Western Sahara. It's not a recent invasion granted but it's still an armed occupation considered illegal by international law.

According to Amnesty International, the very existence of settlements in the Occupied Palestinian Territories violates international humanitarian law and is a war crime. Despite multiple UN resolutions, Israel has continued to appropriate Palestinian land so would we ban discussion on travel to or within Israel?

It's not as black & white a matter as it may appear at the outset so wouldn't like to see FT go down this road though this doesn't mean it's in any way support for Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dovster
Yes. While flights to Russia have been cut back sharply, they are still available. Any airline which offers these flights would be "Russian-related". Are we going to remove their forums? I think that I am among the strongest supporters of Ukraine in this conflict, but I don't feel that we should deny those FTers who want to fly there the opportunity to get the best information on flights, hotels, car rentals, etc.
I am in full agreement about not “burning the books” or locking them away in such situations too. People come here for getting or providing travel advice or learning about travel experiences. And cutting off such information flow and sharing of experiences does neither Ukraine nor anyone else any favors.

People have various needs to find out travel information even for places with unsavory policies and characters in place running things. This should be no different, regardless of a desire to virtue-signal.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Is there any reason to NOT move ahead?
Yes. As indicated by the above three FTers voicing reasons not to move ahead on travel topic shutdowns.

If the concern is about future such discussions being an inducement into activity against laws or regulations of relevance, there is already an FT rule in place to deal with such contributions on a post by post basis. Sharing information and experiences about travel to Russia is not illegal per se here. Whether it is illegal elsewhere may be another matter. [But there is already content on FT that may be deemed illegal in some places but not illegal in the US; and yet it remains on FT in forums and threads that are still not locked/suspended.]
Dovster and estnet like this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 18, 2022 at 8:28 pm
Old Jul 24, 2022, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
It would appear that it is not possible to view Flyertalk in Russia, even with a VPN. Bit of a shame, but maybe the regime there blocked it?
Old Jul 24, 2022, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Concerto
It would appear that it is not possible to view Flyertalk in Russia, even with a VPN. Bit of a shame, but maybe the regime there blocked it?
Russia has massively expanded its list of blacklisted websites and also been cracking down on VPN usability. Whether it’s because of that or some other things, internet traffic from Russia to a lot of non-Russian sites is no longer what it used to be even a few weeks back.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Silly. I do not support.

The climate and ecological emergency is the biggest threat to humankind that has ever existed, far more than Russia (unless Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin decides to nuke every living thing), the science is overwhelming. By that logic, FT should shut itself down.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:36 am
Community Director Emerita

I had sided with the OP initially but the discussion has swayed my opinion. Yes, FlyerTalk is an international board and covers all countries irrespective of their political actions. Thus, the Russian forums will remain open for discussion.

I appreciate the topic being raised. It was worthy of consideration.

SanDiego1K
Community Director

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.