Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > The Suggestion Box
Reload this Page >

OMNI/PR moderation - a thread to comment on it?

Old Aug 5, 21, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper

I believe this has come up before in some contexts, but I'd like to suggest a thread (maybe this one) in which we are free to comment on the moderation of OMNI/PR.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting any of the following:

1) Rehashing or complaining about particular edits/deletions/sanctions by mods.
2) Complaining about any particular FlyerTalkers.
3) Complaining about any particular moderators.

But I am suggesting that we be free to discuss:

1) What is and is not allowed to be posted, on a general level.
2) Whether /PR moderators should have limited terms, and be selected by vote among FlyerTalkers.
3) Whether FlyerTalkers should get an automated notification that their post has been edited or deleted.

Thank you for considering my suggestion.
Old Aug 5, 21, 10:28 pm
Community Director

I am going to close this thread for now while I talk to the OmniPR moderators about your suggestions. It will likely be several days before I return. Please be patient.

SanDiego1K
Community Director
Old Aug 9, 21, 11:26 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
But I am suggesting that we be free to discuss:

1) What is and is not allowed to be posted, on a general level.
The description for Omni/PR says

Politics and religion are two hot button topics that have earned a special place in the land of OMNI. While passionate debate is encouraged, civility is required.

All threads and posts must also strictly adhere to FTs TOS. Other than that, members have a wide latitude as the OMNI label implies. I'm not sure why the need is felt for greater definition. If something is posted in Omni that is better suited to OmniPR, the mods have the ability with a click of a button to move it and vice versa.

2) Whether /PR moderators should have limited terms, and be selected by vote among FlyerTalkers.
This is a nonstarter. Choosing a moderator is not a popularity contest. I am the person on whose shoulders the ultimate responsibility lies for making the choice. I can tell you it is a challenge and particularly so for OmniPR. People get really ugly in how they express their opinions on both sides of the political spectrum. I am appalled at beliefs that are held and the lack of civility with which they are expressed. Regardless, we don't edit the idea but the way in which it is expressed and responses made to others. They need to stay within the rules of the board. I get complaints from both sides. That indicates that the moderators must be doing a reasonably even handed approach to what is permitted. Moderators read the posts that are brought to their attention; they do not read every post. I get a fair number of phone calls to bounce ideas back and forth and to be sure I am aware of the issues.

The existence of OmniPR predates my 10 years as community director. It goes back to Randy Petersen, the founder of FlyerTalk. He wanted a water cooler lounge where folks could discuss any topic with members they had grown to know in the points and miles world. There were a couple times that Randy closed OmniPR for a cooling down period. Or he took a dozen of the most challenging posters "off on his RV" to try to cool conversation. We have gone thru several moderators during the 20 years or so that we have the forum. I can tell you that it is a truly thankless job and has to be one of the most difficult forums on which to keep a light, balanced hand. I wouldn't take the position. I am enormously grateful to cholula and Sweet Willie who have faithfully given their time to allow members to have this often antagonistic forum for member discussion.

3) Whether FlyerTalkers should get an automated notification that their post has been edited or deleted.
This is an excellent idea and one which needs software development from Internet Brands. You'll see active conversation in this thread:

"Your Post Has Been Edited" notification??

There is also fresh conversation in the moderators forum as to whether more can be done with existing software.

Thank you for considering my suggestion.
You're welcome. I hope that my remarks have been helpful.
obscure2k likes this.

Search this Thread