Wiki Posts
Search

Forums for airports UPDATE 24 Feb: Destination forums now show major airports

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by glg
Your numbers confirm what I found. Chicago and DC had similar traffic to LA, SF and LV. If Chicago and DC get cut, those should be cut too.

I'll reiterate that what really set me off about this is that it was done without announcement. I logged in yesterday to find the Chicago forum *gone*. My subscription wasn't updated to Midwest, it was just gone. As SanDiego1K said, it's tough messing with the structure of Flyertalk, it's going to make people mad. A big way to help alleviate that is communication. Instead of just wiping them out, why not have a separate thread about forum consolidation here (instead of burying it in this thread about forums not having airport codes) and post a link to said thread in each forum that's going to get removed.
In the past when Talkboard existed, when changes to forums were considered or up for votes by TB, there was a public announcement to give FTers a heads-up & ask for their input before final voting/decisions.

The CommunityDirector does a great job in considering ideas that could benefit FT.

Perhaps doing sitewide announcements on potential forum changes or forum creation could be implemented again by her, so she can potentially garner more input/have things brought up that she might not have considered.

Cheers.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:08 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by glg
Your numbers confirm what I found. Chicago and DC had similar traffic to LA, SF and LV. If Chicago and DC get cut, those should be cut too.
Those consolidations were done in part to shore up the Mid-Atlantic and the Midwest forums which were not very active. The California and the West forums were holding their own.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:50 am
glg

Originally Posted by TWA884
Those consolidations were done in part to shore up the Mid-Atlantic and the Midwest forums which were not very active. The California and the West forums were holding their own.
That logic is just backwards. You shouldn't look at the regions as needing "help". If you want to go with regions, just go with regions. Instead what you've done is made it look ridiculous with a handful of very arbitrarily chosen cities having their own forums. If it was just NYC and LA as the country's two largest cities, fine. But leaving SF and LV makes no sense.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
For me, lumping Chicago into the Midwest forum clutters it up. I usually don't care about Chicago, but occasionally check the Midwest forum for useful threads or where I might have an answer. If I have to sort through Chicago to find the relevant non-Chicago posts I will probably find it is not worth the trouble.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I agree with glg, just because the Midwest forum isn't that popular doesn't mean taking the active Chicago subforum and lumping into the Midwest is the solution.

"The Midwest forum isn't really working well. How do we fix that? Ideas anyone?"
"Well, Chicago is part of the Midwest, Why don't we shut down the Chicago forum, it's pretty popular."
"Great idea, put all those Chicago posts in the Midwest forum and people will think the Midwest forum is a really happening place and they'll start posting about the great time they had in Akron three years ago!"
"I like it!"
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Suggestions are welcome, and crucial input for the Community Director.

Snark and sarcasm, however, are never useful and don't fit in with the spirit (and Rules) of FlyerTalk and this forum.

Mutual respect is the goal. Thank you for helping us achieve that.

Also note that the Rules and guidelines do not allow discussion of Moderator actions (even if putative) unless a forum's Moderators expressly request them.

JDiver & cblaisd, Co-Moderators

Last edited by cblaisd; Feb 26, 2017 at 5:46 pm
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dovster
Just curious -- where would Buffalo NY (or Niagara Falls, NY) go? They are too far west to be considered mid-Atlantic, are definitely not part of New England, and a bit of a stretch for the Midwest.

The same would also be true of Pittsburgh, PA (and Pennsylvania points west of it).
BUF is part of NY, and NY is a Mid-Atlantic state. BUF is considered part of the Mid-Atlantic region, a regional classification system that historically remains state-based.

In terms of the FT destination forum re-organization and attempted populating of that part of FT -- an effort that seems to have started in fits and starts even before this thread was started -- I have some doubts about the consistency of approach, the value of the consistency/inconsistency, and under which conditions the consistency is a good or bad thing for FT members in the main. My usual motto is "if it ain't broken, don't fix it". I am not sure how broken the destination forums are/were say two years ago, but I do know that some reorganization efforts don't really work out all that well in improving the time to seek and/or get the (quality) communication desired.

Personally, I'd prefer a Chicago forum on its own still. Probably the same for the DC/Baltimore forum. As it is now, it looks like the Mid-Atlantic forum is overwhelmingly dominated by DC area discussions, and the other "Mid-Atlantic" stuff is a drop in the bucket.

I don't consider "sleepy" forums to necessarily be a sign of a broken forum in desperate need for being given a helping hand up by more active discussions of a different sort.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 27, 2017 at 6:54 am
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:00 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
It was a bit startling to find a post immediately after our previous note and which ignored that note. That post has been deleted.

Once more: discussion of moderator actions should take place directly with the moderators in question or with the Community Director.

Thank you,

JDiver & cblaisd, Co-Moderators
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:03 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
I am happy to share some of the data collected which SanDiego1K referred to during her review of the USA Destination forums. As you can see, several parent forums (Mid-Atlantic, South, and Midwest) were not receiving very much traffic at all so it is hoped they will perk up as a result of combining these forums together with their constituent child (city) forums.

The USA destination forums are still relevantly quite corners of FT being finely diced geographically, especially when compared to the European and Asia forums which are generally carved into larger geographical or denser populated regions. So, I think we can see that a very gentle approach has been taken following the review.

Previous USA destination forum structure
Number of active thread topics during 2017 (data collected 15 February 2017):

USA 21
New England 11
Mid-Atlantic 5
New York City 40
Washington DC 15
South 5
Florida 14
Orlando 3
Midwest 2
Chicago 15
Texas 11
West 18
Las Vegas 15
California 13
Los Angeles 16
San Francisco 11
Hawaii 23
Alaska 2

Revised USA destination forum structure
Number of active thread topics during 2017 (data collected 26 February 2017):

USA 25
New England 14
Mid-Atlantic 23
New York City 43
South 28
Midwest 21
Texas 14
West 14
Las Vegas 18
California 18
Los Angeles 19
San Francisco 14
Pacific Northwest 10
Hawaii 24
Alaska 2
Originally Posted by glg
That logic is just backwards. You shouldn't look at the regions as needing "help". If you want to go with regions, just go with regions. Instead what you've done is made it look ridiculous with a handful of very arbitrarily chosen cities having their own forums. If it was just NYC and LA as the country's two largest cities, fine. But leaving SF and LV makes no sense.
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I agree with glg, just because the Midwest forum isn't that popular doesn't mean taking the active Chicago subforum and lumping into the Midwest is the solution.

"The Midwest forum isn't really working well. How do we fix that? Ideas anyone?"
"Well, Chicago is part of the Midwest, Why don't we shut down the Chicago forum, it's pretty popular."
"Great idea, put all those Chicago posts in the Midwest forum and people will think the Midwest forum is a really happening place and they'll start posting about the great time they had in Akron three years ago!"
"I like it!"
As a regular reader of the Chicago forum -- and as an editor and person who occasionally dabbles in UX/UI -- I'd also argue against the inconsistency in forum organization.

It appears as if the most active city forums fairly closely aligned with those that have the largest tourism numbers annually. To lump some in with regions while segmenting out others does not make sense from a user experience perspective (particularly since foreign visitors are less likely to know what region of the country a specific city is associated with).

I'd also argue that from an external perspective, I cannot understand the need to boost a less active forum by rolling it into a more active forum. Alaska, for example, has as many active forums as the previous Midwest forum, but it still stands alone. Adding Midwest posts to the Chicago forum is unlikely to change the number of non-Midwest threads.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
In the past when Talkboard existed, when changes to forums were considered or up for votes by TB, there was a public announcement to give FTers a heads-up & ask for their input before final voting/decisions.

The CommunityDirector does a great job in considering ideas that could benefit FT.

Perhaps doing sitewide announcements on potential forum changes or forum creation could be implemented again by her, so she can potentially garner more input/have things brought up that she might not have considered.

Cheers.
A big +1 to this especially when it comes to the creation. deletion, or merging of forums.

Originally Posted by LostInAmerica
For me, lumping Chicago into the Midwest forum clutters it up. I usually don't care about Chicago, but occasionally check the Midwest forum for useful threads or where I might have an answer. If I have to sort through Chicago to find the relevant non-Chicago posts I will probably find it is not worth the trouble.
While I usually go to the Midwest forum looking for info on Chicago and not other Midwestern cities I don't want to wade through a bunch of non-Chicago stuff. I'm sure there are others who visit the forum for the opposite reason.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Please put Chicago back :)

Please give us our own forum back

We'll promise to post more
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:16 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Some additional tweaking may be required. Just clicked on the "Americas" link in the destination thread, and this incomplete list appears.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Prospero
I am happy to share some of the data collected which SanDiego1K referred to during her review of the USA Destination forums. As you can see, several parent forums (Mid-Atlantic, South, and Midwest) were not receiving very much traffic at all so it is hoped they will perk up as a result of combining these forums together with their constituent child (city) forums.

The USA destination forums are still relevantly quite corners of FT being finely diced geographically, especially when compared to the European and Asia forums which are generally carved into larger geographical or denser populated regions. So, I think we can see that a very gentle approach has been taken following the review.

Previous USA destination forum structure
Number of active thread topics during 2017 (data collected 15 February 2017):

USA 21
New England 11
Mid-Atlantic 5
New York City 40
Washington DC 15
South 5
Florida 14
Orlando 3
Midwest 2
Chicago 15
Texas 11
West 18
Las Vegas 15
California 13
Los Angeles 16
San Francisco 11
Hawaii 23
Alaska 2

Revised USA destination forum structure
Number of active thread topics during 2017 (data collected 26 February 2017):

USA 25
New England 14
Mid-Atlantic 23
New York City 43
South 28
Midwest 21
Texas 14
West 14
Las Vegas 18
California 18
Los Angeles 19
San Francisco 14
Pacific Northwest 10
Hawaii 24
Alaska 2
This is a bit confusing - the original structure adds up to 240 topics, while the revised has 287. Where did the additional 47 topics come from? On a separate point, looking at the activity levels, this would seem a more reasonable list to me, if we're going to keep multiple city forums:

USA 21

Cities
NYC 40
DC 15
Chicago 15
Las Vegas 15
LA 15

States
California (ex-LA) 24
Hawaii 23
Florida 17

Regions
New England & Mid-Atlantic (ex-NYC and DC) 16
South, Midwest, and West (ex-Florida, California, LV, and Chicago) 36

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.