Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

W HKG - liars; Suites available but no upgrade; closed pool

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W HKG - liars; Suites available but no upgrade; closed pool

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:09 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
a different theory

Originally Posted by mtacchi
Checked in today. ( I live in HKG. Just using
free weekend night before expiry)
The Worst part of this SPG program is it
all comes done to lying front desk staff
protecting rooms despite the program.
I came here to have a nice break from my
small ...... HKG apartment. All I've gotten
was lies and annoyance.
A got a few questions for you. Are you Chinese from mainland China? Are you Chinese from Hong Kong? Or are you Chinese expat/caucasian? or any South-east asian race?

To make you feel better, let me say this. I am Chinese-Canadian and I spent 10 years of my elementry school-junior high school years in Hong Kong. I made a reservation with both me and my sister for the Sharaton Hong Kong and are suppose to stay in it yesterday and today. The room has both our names. My sister will check in first as she was already in Hong Kong and I would be arriving from Vancouver later the day. I was delayed for a day so the 1st night my sister would need to go sightseeing without me.

Anyhow, my sister (who is Chinese-Canadian with some Chinese accent) looks like she is from China (she got stopped by cops in HK who though she was illegal immigrant from China to check her Canadian passport). She is 22 years old. The reservation has both me and my sister's name. When she tried to check in, the front desk refuse to give her my Platinum Welcome Gift nor the breakfast coupons for Platinum members because I wasn't there. It maybe perfectly legit for the hotel not to give her my Platinum gifts, but it is just not normally denied... In fact, I can say that among the handfull of times through the years that my sisters or mother check in Starwood hotels without me (come on plats! You all pulled something like this once a while!) this is the first time one was denied platinum kits.

On a seperate occasion of Feb 2009, I made the reservation at the Sharaton Hong Kong for my mom and me. My mom walked in like the sterotypical Hong Kong semi-wealthy middle-age women with good manners. My mom's friend drove my mom to the hotel with the friend's BMW. My mom went to the front desk with the hotel parking ticket. Front desk asked "Do you know what gift your son would like?" and my mom replied "I want the dining food credit." and then they gave her my platinum gifts and those breakfast coupons. In fact, my mom got an extra one for her friend (total of 3)! As for the parking... "put it to the room, my son will take care of it! "

The point is this:
Discrimination is alive and well in Hong Kong. The W hotel staff's monthly salary maybe around $HKD 8000 - 10000 and possibly 20 - 30 years old. They couldn't even afford to stay in the hotel at the BAR prices ($HKD 2500/night or 1 week of salary). Then some other local that looks like similar age and seem in same financial status shows up trying to get a night for free, well.. there would be resentment. They sense the failure of themselves when they see you - a guy with same class status but appeared doing way better financially to be able to stay in the hotel (and for free!). This is a growing problem of the gap between rich and poor in pure capitalistic Hong Kong. In my mom's case, it would be culturally unacceptable to propose "I cannot give your son's platinum benifit to you - the mother." If the staff's mother was standing around, it may result in a slap on the staff's face and followed by "give her the best room!" command.

Actually, if you drove in with a Mercades Benz, have a good looking girl next to you (or vice versa). Act as if you were spoiled all your life. Whip out that American Express Platinum card. Dress like you have millions. Ask for the manager (use manager's English first name) and get him to check you in. Tell them to impress you or else you will hit another hotel next time. Then there is a good chance you will get a good upgrade....

Do I ever roll like that? Never. How do I know it works? Daddy and his friends rolled like that when I was a kid and it worked then. It appears the new wave of rude rich Chinese from China also roll like that too. Sad but true.

Last edited by yeunganson; Sep 18, 2009 at 4:02 pm Reason: fixing spelling mistakes
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lerasp
he was there first and he is due to get "the best available room at check in".
Going by that argument, the hotel has a reasonable excuse not to give the OP the suite even if theres one available for sale.

A suite may be available for sale for that night, but because the previous guest has not check-out yet (or it has not been cleaned yet) then the OP is not entitled to it since it was not available "at check-in".
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by mario33
Going by that argument, the hotel has a reasonable excuse not to give the OP the suite even if theres one available for sale.

A suite may be available for sale for that night, but because the previous guest has not check-out yet (or it has not been cleaned yet) then the OP is not entitled to it since it was not available "at check-in".
However, it goes back to what category were the suites/rooms the OP saw online?
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:39 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
On the issues of upgrades, the CCS will stand by the hotel. They can basically tell you whatever they want: they forgot to close out the inventory on spg.com (for the most part, this is beyond BS ). No one will "accidentally" release inventory to be sold on spg.com. The inventory is often real time, and the property's room revenue's manager is supposed to keep an eye on that and trust me they do, or they will get in a lot of trouble. Or, suite could be available when you checked in and you were denied upgrades, then later on, different competent employees gave the suites to other Platinums, so at the end of the day, the inventory would show that the suites were sold out for that day, even though CLEARLY when you checked in, the suite was available for sale and for upgrade (and as proven on spg.com). They can tell you whatever they want and there is not a thing you can do about it. CCS will stand of the hotel's side in order to prevent leaking "proprietary information"

Service issue is different, and CCS will stand on your side.
What trouble is that?

For I'm confused by your post below as it seems you switched your stance from "they will get in a lot of trouble", to the below which you state basically don't waste your time doing anything except threaten to leave to another hotel.

Please clarify.

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
That goes back to what I said earlier. CCS will always be on the hotel's side because the hotel can make up whatever excuse it wants by pulling the our actual inventory is different than the website's card for whatever reason it wants. And, there is not a thing you can do about it. @:-) Just make the hotel known that you are not happy and stay elsewhere next time. That's the only way the hotel will learn.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mario33

You may be Right, but available at check-in always meant to me being in the Inventory for sale for the night/s that I will be staying there

So if say all the best rooms are either still occupied or being cleaned but are listed for Sale then I would expect to be asked" Mr craz, unfortunately at this exact moment in time no Upgrades are available , however if you are willing to wait __ then I will be able to give you an Upgrade.

I never understood it to mean that at that moment at check-in the room had to be available to be occupied by me.Heck at times I pull up checkin dont go to the room and leave, why? cause I know when I get back theres gonna be a line a mile long. Therefore if I was UPed they should chase after me and take it away and say, its yours if its avaialble when you decide you want to actually go into the room
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Best room 'available at check-in' is not really clear.

As pointed out earlier, the room may be 'available' for sale, but may already be 'reserved' or 'set-aside' for another Plat or VIP upgrade. Starwood would still like to sell the room if possible, and then the person for whom the room is reserved would be out of luck.

There is nothing in the T&Cs that states that the first to check-in gets the upgrade. If the room is already 'slated' for someone else, it may be available for sale, but otherwise unavailable.

So the word 'available' needs some clarification.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by yeunganson
A got a few questions for you. Are you Chinese from mainland China? Are you Chinese from Hong Kong? Or are you Chinese expat/caucasian? or any South-east asian race?

To make you feel better, let me say this. I am Chinese-Canadian and I spent 10 years of my elementry school-junior high school years in Hong Kong. I made a reservation with both me and my sister for the Sharaton Hong Kong and are suppose to stay in it yesterday and today. The room has both our names. My sister will check in first as she was already in Hong Kong and I would be arriving from Vancouver later the day. I was delayed for a day so the 1st night my sister would need to go sightseeing without me.

Anyhow, my sister (who is Chinese-Canadian with some Chinese accent) looks like she is from China (she got stopped by cops in HK who though she was illegal immigrant from China to check her Canadian passport). She is 22 years old. The reservation has both me and my sister's name. When she tried to check in, the front desk refuse to give her my Platinum Welcome Gift nor the breakfast coupons for Platinum members because I wasn't there. It maybe perfectly legit for the hotel not to give her my Platinum gifts, but it is just not normally denied... In fact, I can say that among the handfull of times through the years that my sisters or mother check in Starwood hotels without me (come on plats! You all pulled something like this once a while!) this is the first time one was denied platinum kits.

On a seperate occasion of Feb 2009, I made the reservation at the Sharaton Hong Kong. She walked in like the sterotypical Hong Kong semi-wealthy middle-age women with good manners. My mom's friend drove my mom to the hotel with the friend's BMW. My mom went to the front desk with the hotel parking ticket. Front desk asked "Do you know what gift your son would like?" and my mom replied "I want the dining food credit." and then they gave her my platinum gifts and those breakfast coupons. In fact, my mom got an extra one for her friend (total of 3)! As for the parking... "put it to the room, my son will take care of it! "

The point is this:
Discrimination is alive and well in Hong Kong. The W hotel staff's monthly salary maybe around $HKD 8000 - 10000 and possibly 20 - 30 years old. They couldn't even afford to stay in the hotel at the BAR prices ($HKD 2500/night or 1 week of salary). Then some other local that looks like similar age and seem in same financial status shows up trying to get a night for free, well.. there would be resentment. They sense the failure of themselves when they see you - a guy with same class status but appeared doing way better financially to be able to stay in the hotel (and for free!). This is a growing problem of the gab between rich and poor in pure capitalistic Hong Kong. In my mom's case, it would be culturally unacceptable to propose "I cannot give your son's platinum benifit to you - the mother." If the staff's mother was standing around, it may result in a slap on the staff's face and followed by "give her the best room!" command.

Actually, if you drove in with a Mercades Benz, have a good looking girl next to you (or vice versa). Act as if you were spoiled all your life. Whip out that American Express Platinum card. Dress like you have millions. Ask for the manager (use manager's English first name) and get him to check you in. Tell them to impress you or else you will hit another hotel next time. Then there is a good chance you will get a good upgrade....

Do I ever roll like that? Never. How do I know it works? Daddy and his friends rolled like that when I was a kid and it worked then. It appears the new wave of rude rich Chinese from China also roll like that too. Sad but true.
Colorful and insightful. Best post in this thread ^
Old Sep 18, 2009, 1:12 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, QF/HH/TG/SQ GOLD
I had two stays in W Hong Kong,both are pre-upgraded to Fantastic Suite during Hong Kong.
The second stay I polite ask the front desk,can I get Marvellous Suite?

He apologise Marvellous Suite is not available,hand his name card,ask write e-mail before check in,he will arrange for me.Even I print some pages of my document for free.
I believe everything is depends on the person who help check in.

Here are two my awards stay experiences(no suite).
W Seoul full house on the day check in,got basic room Wonderful Room.Check SPG.com found Cool Corner Room available,double check with front desk,she said its on the ground floor,no view at all,the best way she should ask me select which one I prefer stay.Anyway she give me her name card,maybe she can arrange suite for me next time.

St Regis Singapore
Only upgrade to deluxe room,give extra benefit Internet and breakfast for free.SPG.com show suite still able to booking,call CSS confirm is it accurate? CSS reply ask front desk.10 minuets later suite is gone.

Agree with yeunganson but at least mtacchi still is Plat.He should get more respect than non-status guest.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 1:30 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
So, OP said the corner room & suites are bookable online. And are still available hours after he's initially checked in. And that he got moved to a corner room after he pushed. Then W did lie.

I understand why front desk wants to keep the best room for VIP or paid customers. But that's not what SPG's rules said.

Write a letter. I'm so tired of front desk staff telling me I'm on award / points / mistake fare and that I should be glad I get a room. This happens a lot to me in HK / Macau.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Back to the OP's original post, what is it with these FlyerTalkers complaining about free rooms WHILE THEY ARE ON VACATION - on FT? Go, get out of there, go have a good time - it's just a hotel room. As long as there are no bedbugs, body fluids, or body parts (including toenail clippings) - it's a FREE room. You didn't have to pay for it! What part of free do we not understand in this society?
Old Sep 18, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
Back to the OP's original post, what is it with these FlyerTalkers complaining about free rooms WHILE THEY ARE ON VACATION - on FT? Go, get out of there, go have a good time - it's just a hotel room. As long as there are no bedbugs, body fluids, or body parts (including toenail clippings) - it's a FREE room. You didn't have to pay for it! What part of free do we not understand in this society?
Sorry, but it's not "free". It's paid for with points, cash and points or a FWN award. All of those cost money to earn. While it may not be the same as cash out of your pocket it's certainly not free.

Further, the property is not giving away a "free" room. SPG is paying the hotel for the room.

I find a case in my industry to be similar. We sell pro audio equipment to resellers (stores). Often the store will ask for a deal...if they order a certain amount they want "free" shipping. When did the shipping become free? UPS and FedEx still charge. The difference is who's paying. It's not "free".

Finally, according to the SPG terms and conditions a member is entitled to the SAME benefits on an award or paid stay.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
I hope the OP survives his weekend in an inferior room, but I'm still trying to figure out why, if they wanted a suite, did not BOOK a suite? When one does that, the front desk clerk can't lie and say they're not available.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by lerasp
yes, since that's the official rules. he was there first and he is due to get "the best available room at check in". we know it doesn't always happen in reality, but these are rules and i would expect a hotel to adhere to them. upgrades are given due to status, NOT based on the rate of the room (officially). so, $500/night is not relevant. I know in reality it does become relevant but that's not the letter or the spirit of the T&?C as currently stands.
No, the preassigned room is not longer available and the hotel will certainly not give a room to a "plat light" on a FNA if a returning "plat plus" has booked for BAR. This is business, not a charity.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 4:11 pm

Programs: * A
the op vented, he got his room and he shared how he got his room and how the front desk misinformed the op. as long as we'll be dealing w/ human beings, it looks like YMMV for most of us enjoy the weekend!
Old Sep 18, 2009, 4:15 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by 98103
I hope the OP survives his weekend in an inferior room, but I'm still trying to figure out why, if they wanted a suite, did not BOOK a suite? When one does that, the front desk clerk can't lie and say they're not available.
Well, that's an accurate statement, but it sort of misses the point, no? The point, of course, is that folks are brand loyal to a brand in order to reap the promised benefits that come with that loyalty. In this case, the brand is Starwood Hotels and the benefits are the Platinum benefits of the SPG program.

The OP isn't off base for expecting that a hotel with what APPEARS to be numerous upgradable rooms in the "available inventory" bucket should make some effort to upgrade him, as a Plat guest, to one of those rooms.

There are, as have been mentioned, numerous factors for why he might not have been granted an upgrade at time of check in, but I don't think it's completely fair to simply tell him that the best solution in all cases is to book a suite. That's not a practical solution for most folks; especially when the OP was hoping that his Plat benefits would afford him the upgrade.

I see both sides of this clearly and both sides have merit. But, telling the OP that he was unrealistic in wanting to pursue an upgrade when he believed there were a number of them available seems unfair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.