Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Report your Platinum Upgrade Failures

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2009, 12:20 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hilton Honors, Kimpton InTouch, United, AA, Virgin, NW,
no Platinum upgrades at W City Center Chicago times 2 stays, W Times Square NYC 4 stays in a row, Meridien Picadilly London two stays, W San Francisco 1 stay.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
Four Points YWG

I am batting about 900 for an upgrade to a superior room but only about 100 to the best room. My P status is acknowledged at check-in. I have considered moving to another hotel because of the non-delivery of one of the only P benefits that I can get at this hotel.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Marriott LT Platinum
Not surprising?

Using two free weekend nights at St. Regis Monarch Beach. Checked in today and no upgrade. Given room 347 with garden view. Not even a "higher" floor as per my profile. To make it even more disappointing, checked in at 4 PM and the room was not ready. Had to hang out for 45 minutes.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Thumbs down W Lake Shore

The place is a dump. Rooms are worn, I moved four times in one hour.

Avoid! I REPEAT avoid, at all cost.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:23 am

Programs: aa exp and ck, spg plat, hz pc, dl life gld, marriott life plat, others
W Mexico City - group of coworkers booked with master billing for the room charges. Nothing in arrangement to bar upgrades.

Had organizers provide my SPG plat number to hotel to add to reservation, such that when they scanned to preblock upgrades I would be recognized. Hotel refused to add the number because "he won't get stay credits".

I finally called Plat line, who found the res under my name and sent a fax asking them to add the number. All the weekend before I flew down on Monday, I watched and nothing appeared on my reservation list.

Surprise - when I arrived, no upgrades available. Of course, they were all given out to those who were listed as platinums, golds or whatever but on the list prior to arrival.

If rooms aren't available, they aren't available. But when a hotel goes out of its way to refuse to add the number they are putting me at an unnecessary, unwarranted disadvantage. This hotel has earned a deserved black mark in my book.

I am very glad that this sort of behavior is the rare exception with Starwood and not the norm.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 12:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
The place is a dump. Rooms are worn, I moved four times in one hour.

Avoid! I REPEAT avoid, at all cost.
I had a better experience there, probably because my expectations were very low. I stayed in March for three nights on a travelzoo promo ($119/night) for the whatever their lowest category room is. I got upgraded to the next to the lowest category, but I had a high floor lakeview room. Considering that it was just me, the view was the most important thing.

Originally Posted by jschutz
LA- Westin Bonaventure. Not only no upgrade but was given a room directly over one of the roofs with about 5 a/c units staring me in the face. The room appeared also to be original from first day of construction. Will not go back.
I had a similar experience at the Sheraton Mission Valley in San Diego while Comic Con was taking place in July. I had stayed there twice before this year, and each time had been upgraded to the Club floor. This time, I got room 302, directly overlooking the pool. I asked if anything else was available. "We're sold out." The noise from the pool (It's open from 6:00 a.m. until 11:00 p.m.) made sleep tough. Coupled with the $14 parking fee, it was enough to make me decide to cancel my other 2 stays there in 2009. The only thing I miss is the wonderful attendants in the club lounge!
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Le Méridien Beach Plaza (1 night)
Booked: Non-smoking King
Downgrade: Smoking room with two single beds

What's fair compensation to ask? I'm thinking of asking for 25% of the "walk" compensation.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:59 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Le Méridien Beach Plaza (1 night)
Booked: Non-smoking King
Downgrade: Smoking room with two single beds

What's fair compensation to ask? I'm thinking of asking for 25% of the "walk" compensation.
I can't sort how that happens to a plat without at least a sincere apology.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 3:07 pm

The [new] Westin Dulles Airport Hotel - Despite the hotel being virtually deserted, no room upgrade, not even club level access in the elevator. I'm a new plat and didn't press the issue when realized, mostly due to scheduling. Please don't bother to berate me for not doing such.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Westin Waltham - was given a standard, mid-floor room. Upon being smacked in the face by the odor of smoke, and the sight of a portable air purifier sitting on the desk, plugged in and running, I went back to the front desk. There were "able to put me in a Junior Suite".

I doubt a suite suddenly became available in the six minutes between my visits to the front desk.

I couldn't find an email address, so I contacted Customer Service for a clarification of PLT benefits and to get the email address of the GM.

Disappointing after dozens of stays over the last year - I wonder how many other suites went unused during my stays.

And I changed my stay from 2 nights to 1 on the initial checkin, causing the agent to bang away at the keyboard for several minutes, so an upgrade by bypassed during an active search for an available room.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:00 pm

Westin Edmonton--being the only one in downtown edmonton hardly ever gives suite upgrades. I have occasionally got it but it is more of a rarity.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:52 am

W Seoul Walkerhill, was moved from a Wonderful Mountain to Wonderful River View, but no further upgrade. When I looked online before checking in no higher room types were available (presumably given the double whammy of Lunar New Year and Valentines Day), but about a half an hour after checking in I looked online again to see a Studio Suite for sale... I didn't press the issue, as the hotel was clearly full, but did make me wonder how hard the desk looked for a room at check-in.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by makin'miles
W Seoul Walkerhill, was moved from a Wonderful Mountain to Wonderful River View, but no further upgrade. When I looked online before checking in no higher room types were available (presumably given the double whammy of Lunar New Year and Valentines Day), but about a half an hour after checking in I looked online again to see a Studio Suite for sale... I didn't press the issue, as the hotel was clearly full, but did make me wonder how hard the desk looked for a room at check-in.
If it was showing an hour after you checked in, I dont considered that a failure, since you don't know what happened behind the scenes with that room.

There are a lot of variables.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
W Seattle this weekend for 3 nights. Booked "Spectacular" Room.

Was told at check-in I was being upgraded from Wonderful to Spectacular, and nothing else available because of Valentine's Day. I pulled up my confirmation email to show that was what I booked anyways, and it turns out there was another Platinum with the same last name staying the same 3 nights... Still no upgrade.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:02 pm

Westin Monache - Mammoth Lakes, CA

Stayed here about a half-dozen times now ... all during times of low occupancy. This is a really beautiful property but each time the experience grows dimmer and other than the points, there is no recognition of Platinum status.

I get the resort property status and all, but why there is a policy to give guests really restricted experiences seems odd.

Thinking that you'll get a small room is the best course so as not to have any disappointment. Requesting "best available ..." at check-in receives tilted heads and looks of true puzzlement.

I know I'm missing something because there are so many properties that incent me to return frequently by kind gestures [great rooms]. Unfortunately, the Westin at Mammoth Lakes does not do that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.